Did a book ever make you cry? Like properly cry?

Did a book ever make you cry? Like properly cry?

This has never happened to me, to the point I don't think it is a real thing. Am I autistic or is everyone too sensitive?

A daily reminder that some people are just that sensitive. It's a real thing, believe it or not.

End of The Red and The Black, Brothers Karamazov and some middle parts of Euripides' Iphigenia at Aulis did it for me. I think it's more a quality of longer books, as you get more involved into the story and the fictional universe.

I've never cried from a book or a movie that I remember. I get very emotionally invested in them but knowing that it's just a narrative kind of disconnects me from it.
Music, on the other hand, seems more like something amplifies your emotions than something that stands on its own. Hospice by The Antlers is honestly the only media of any form that has ever made me cry.

it's usually not about the fate of the heroes, it's something like... how kipling wrote:

>Oh, I see the love that I lost long syne,
>I touch the hope that I may not see,
>And all that I did o' hidden shame,
>Like little snakes they hiss at me.

Not like in that picture but I've cried a good amount of times to literature.

Lil' Ilyushas death in Brothers Karamazov is the closest I got to crying from reading a book.

I used to cry at books and movies and music until I got on cymbalta.

I cried at the end of Stoner because I know that a life of middling mediocrity is the only life I can have.

Yes, Kiku's Prayer by Shusaku Endo.

Stoner. I got the news that my father was dead just as I was beginning the last chapter, so that helped too.

faggot

same

Death of Valjean had me crying for a good hour. Never happened before with a book and never happened since

At least say the name of the book before you write a spoiler without a tag like a lazy asshole.

I can't physically cry, even when I want to.
Which makes it all the more sad, I suppose.

Why the FUCK would you start your post with a spoiler and then mention the work after the spoiler
Are you fucking dense

What's your disease?

>End of The Red and The Black
Same. I felt such a connection with Julien. I wept a little.

Toughness.

Having testicles.

I teared up at the ending of childhood's end.it was an audio book
>Am I autistic or is everyone too sensitive?
I don't know. many people claim to cry over things that would not move me in 1000 years but Im not sure if they really cry

Of Mice & Men nearly got to me but I think it's partially because I read it when I was a child and it just hit that nostalgic bittersweet spot in the right place.

I hear John Williams' Stoner is somewhat similar so I'm willing to give that a go.

Hospice nearly got to me, user. I get it, man. I really do.

I'm sorry, user.

Accurate

I don't know if I was breaking down sobbing, but a careful reading of Ada is pretty fucking bleak.

Tokio Blues, the only one

i've cried reading both othello and hamlet lol
there are probably others

>spoilers in literature
Are you serious? Go back to watching your tv series and quit Veeky Forums

Ok, when you really find a book that is interesting, with developed characters that you feel you can connect with on a deep level, and that character fucking dies, it's rough.

Brave New World. The savage kid (idr his name) that hung himself at the end, despite fighting SO HARD for what he thought was right, and was just overwhelmed by this dystopian (or some would utopian) society...

I'll admit, that shit struck a chord. I don't think I cried, but it ruined my day.

>i'm a male so I don't have emotions
enjoy being a caricature of society instead of thinking for yourself

a single tear rolled down my cheek when I finished A Tale of Two Cities. Fuckin' frogs man

The last few chapters of 1984 made me physically sick. I had never read such a brutal book in my life.

>spoilers
>books

Its not a movie or a tv show. What the fuck is wrong with you?

When was like 9 I read Where The Red Fern Grows, and cried when both of the dogs died. That was the last book that made me cry. Though, I did feel saddened at the end of 1984, and when Rex died in The Glass Castle.

Now this is shitposting.

Les Miserables has been standard for like 200 years, you havent read it yet?

If you don't know the story yet you really do belong here

hunger games

Stoner had me bawling.

It's seriously one of the most intensely emotional books I've ever read. It was about as intense and painful as breaking up with my last gf.

Plenty of times. King lear
>Enter King Lear, carrying the body of Cordelia
>Howl! Howl! Howl! Howl! O, you are men of stones!
>Had I your tongues and eyes I should use them
>So that heaven's vault should crack!

The ending of The Dead. The Tempest. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. Its a gratifying experience desu

If a book doesn't make me cry then it hasn't done its job properly

The part where the germans have been circled and start dying like flies. Something about true pointless wastes of young lives just gets to me.

Forgot the picture.

Blood Meridian, believe it or not

Surprise is a perfectly acceptable storytelling technique.

What point of view does it represent? soes it seem unobjective to you? We had a story here: some school board decided to remove few copies from the library because it's anti-soviet propaganda etc.

>anti-soviet propaganda

How is this a bad thing?

Boxer did nothing wrong.
George really did love Lennie, and, while we're on the subject, that native guy needed that pearl, and please, god, don't let me be mean.
Charlotte loved that goddamn pig, she deserved kids to see her kids.
McWatt and Sampson, and, Snowden's so cold.
The Happy Prince is not a happy story, and it got worse after that.

Not anti-soviet, but russian-raped-and-killed-2\3-of-Reich-stuff. Just want to know if it's true that this book conrains some objective false. I don't deny rapes and killings, btw.

Brothers Karamzov
Invisible Cities
Mason & Dixon
Stoner

most books make me cry, but im a soft cunt

People think this is weird

But when Lee Scoresby and Hester die in The Subtle Knife I sob like a fucking baby.

Every. Time.

I'm 31

I'd say it portrays the events slightly more from the germans point of view, but otherwise it's pretty unbiased. What it does is framing the eastern front as two different kinds of incredibly uncaring, totalitarian, utterly disgusting regimes using up all their human capital to cause even more suffering, but in a way that relates to the common soldiers experiences and the ways in which the competing military machines worked. And all of this is just from methodically stating facts.

Calling the book anti-soviet propaganda is disgusting, where was this?

Reading Brave New World I've shed a tear when the girl which was lost on the Reservation was talking to her son, saying to him that if he wasn't born the civilized people would take her back

When the two main characters were seperated at the end of His Dark Materials.

"The Unlikely Ones" by Mary Brown

The guys who posted the book.

It doesn't get that far in the timeline of WWII, it portrays the atrocities of the german army and how that in the end affected how they were treated by the soviets when they surrendered in Stalingrad (badly).

I typed this term mechanicly. It meant to be falsification of history, by stating that Russians are animals who rape and kill civilians,

this happened

>where was this?

Guess :D

>"Dad?" Doc had taken his arm. For an instant, unexpectedly, Mason saw the little Boy who, having worried about Storms at Sea, as Beasts in the Forest, came running each time to make sure his father had return'd safely,- whose gift of ministering to others Mason was never able to see, let alone accept, in his blind grieving, his queasiness of Soul before a life and a death, his refusal to touch the Baby, tho' 'twas not possible to blame him... The Boy he had gone to the other side of the Globe to avoid was looking at him now with nothing in his face but concern for his Father.

>"Oh, Son." He shook his Head. He didn't continue.

>"It's your Mate," Doctor Isaac assur'd him, "It's what happens when your Mate dies."

JUST

The ending of this book was so touching.

I havenät read his book on the fall of Berlin, which I'm sure will touch on these subjects. But the Russians did indeed commit atrocities against the germans and the slavic nations when the course of the war turned, so I'm interested in seeing how Beevor portrays that part of the war in comparison to how he portrayed the german atrocities in his book on Stalingrad.

Yeah, I get it now.

>They confuse everyone. They look so innocent. People immediately want to protect them: censoring themselves away from talk of death, business, duplicity when Roger adn Jessica are there. It's all shortages, songs and boy friend, films and blouses...

>With her hair pulled back of her ears, her soft chin in profile, she looks only 9 or 10, alone by windows, blinking into the sun, turning her head on the light counterpane, coming in tears, child's reddening wrinkling face about to cry, going oh, oh...

>One night in the dar quilt-and-cold refuge of their bed, drowsing to and fro himself, he licked Jessica to sleep. When she felt his first warm breaths touch her labia, she shivered and cried like a cat. Two or three notes, it seemed, that sounded together, hoarse, haunted, blowing with snowflakes remembered from around nightfall.

Roger and Jessica's arc in Gravity's Rainbow is hard to read after a bad breakup. Maybe it isn't that emotionally engaging if you aren't in the right frame of mind for it.

The Sound and the Fury, particularly Quentin's section (his conversations with his father and that stream of consciousness flashback to when he's talking to Caddy) almost gave me a heart attack because of the physical pain that it caused me. I also cried a bit, but it was mostly just extreme emotional pain.

Same here. Cried like a small child. Then started crying again, months later, when I started thinking about the scene again.
Still can't believe the emotional effect that book had on me.

War and Peace almost got me crying.

>reading for plot

Mason & Dixon got me

Reading Red Mars series certainly made me cry.
At the beginning of the book you find out John dies, but it's not until after you've read through his POV and gotten to the point where he dies that it hits you.
Then Frank dies and you learn about what kind of life he lived and it hits you again. It makes you think of all the good that could have been accomplished if these two had gotten along better.
The worst is when Arkady dies because for me personally I loved him as a person.

nice bait

whats wrong with trying to enjoy the story

The Cather in the Rye, honestly.

The part where Holden takes his lil' sis to the ferris wheel.