Tell me everything you know about making amazing burgers

Tell me everything you know about making amazing burgers.
How do you season the beef, how do you cook the patties, in what order do you layer the ingredients, what if anything do you do to the buns, etc etc.

>Select all images with a storefront
Leave me alone!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rvoBCr7E5qo
youtube.com/watch?v=dqqsSgO1QTY
pri.org/stories/2014-10-03/science-suggests-msg-really-isnt-bad-your-health-after-all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

add some ranch to the meat, promise you it works wonders

Use decent chuck with 27% fat content. Add some ground lamb if you can find it. GENTLY form the patties, and form them LOOSELY.

Find real tomatoes, not rubber tomatoes. Use a mandoline to shred iceberg lettuce and onions like 2-atoms-thin. Put a slice of cheese on the bottom of the patty in case it leaks.

Don't overcook the patties on the charcoal grill. That's about all there is to it.

grind frozen butter and liver in with beef chuck or sirloin, season with salt, pepper, and msg.

>serving food on cast iron
>cast iron isn't sizzling hot
for what purpose

>meat
Publix brand ground chuck
>seasoning
Liquid smoke, salt+pepper, garlic powder
>cook
Juicy and rare
>on the burger
sesame seed bun, patty (duh), onion, lettuce, mayo, yellow mustard

call me and we'll cook together (No homo)

really?

absolutely. just try it. not memeing you.

powder? like the stuff in the envelope?

what ever you do... dont forget to use the spice weasel!

nah just squirt some into the ground beef and mix it up before forming into patties

i guess powder might work too, i dont see why not

that's pretty interesting. i'm glad i clicked this thread. i'm gonna try it tomorrow.

you want to try to keep the patties thin. place cling wrap over the patties and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer but don't do it so hard that you break them.

you want to be working on HIGH HEAT. that's really important. keep flipping to an absolute minimum; you never need to flip a burger more than twice. set your burger on your very hot grill (or pan) and let it cook until it released from the grills (or pan). you want to flip it right when it releases, as in when the patty no longer sticks to the grills or the pan. now you flip and again wait until it releases. then you can flip it over for the final time and place any cheese you want on the patty and let it melt for maybe 15 seconds or so. your patties will be done more or less done by the second flip, and will continue to cook for a few minutes after being removed from the grill, which is why you want them to set a few minutes after being removed. if you want well done hamburgers (why) you can let your hamburgers sit for up to maybe five minutes after the second flip

hamburgers are really easy to make as long as you keep the patties reasonably sized and you keep the heat high

also when you're grilling or pan frying your hamburgers, leave them the HELL ALONE when you're cooking except for when you're strategically flipping them (as said, you really never need to flip them more than twice). just leave them the fuck alone. don't poke them, don't prod them, NEVER squash them with a spatula. just leave them the hell alone while they're cooking. only idiots do that shit. fucking with your burgers causes all the juices and flavor to drain out and once that's happened there isn't anything you can do to unfuck it up

The best part of a burger is the grease.

I just made a few hamburgers in a 12 inch skillet, then used the leftover grease to fry some pre-cooked brown rice, then let it cool and put it a bowl with unsweetened almond milk. Tastes like rice crispies.

I use ground brisket. That shit is tasty.
If your patties tend to get crumbly, add one egg to the meat. Not one egg per burger, one egg for the whole batch.
I prefer 80/20, but that's my opinion.
Try not to be a faggot.
Put the cheese on the burger while it's still cooking after your last flip.
Toast the buns on the grill.

Beef flavored rice crispies. I like your style.

Decent mince.
A shit ton of ground black pepper.
Chop up shallots and add them to the mince when you form the burgers.
Don't use an egg or anything else to bind them; instead press them into a dish or something similar to mold them with cling film.

Use traditionally not-steak cuts (cuts that are intended for shit like roasts) for more flavor.

Aside from that and beyond general seasoning, add something like worcestershire sauce for a little extra oomph. Season with shit that you like on beef (I'm a fan of garlic and onion powders, this is a case where I think going fresh is wrong because of potential for burning). Aside from that, dress your burger as you want.

A tip on dressing: either use mayo or butter for the buns. The fat protects the bun from getting soggy. Also, don't do the upside down dressing. It's fucking retarded. If you use cheese, make damn sure that shit is good warm, melts well, and compliments the rest of the flavors you use.

If you use sweet pickles in any manner or of any type, you're the scum of the earth.

you sir, are an idiot

Great post. Also wrong.

Can you tell us what's special about publix bramd chuck and how can we replicate it on our own?

That bacon is extremely undercooked.

Everyone gushes over big thick patties but try making them smaller for once. A 2.5 oz slider with few toppings (American cheese and mayo for example) can be really good.

Also, making good veggie burgers from scratch is actually pretty complicated. Challenge yourself some time and try to make a good one.

no meme toppings
no meme buns

thin patties for maximum surface area browning, american cheese
lettuce tomato onion pickles and sauce

if that is yours i just want to tell you that is fucking terrible and you should be ashamed

I will make the patties with 80/20 organic non medicated beef. Tastes way better honestly. To that I will add onions, salt, pepper, hot sauce, chili peppers, garlic. Crack an egg in it to bind all the ingredients together, get your hands in, make sure everything is mixed well, and form patties. Now I live in an apartment so I normally cook the patties in a hot skillet. However if you have an indoor grill, grill pan or outdoor bbq they are all good. I like my steak medium rare normally but because I use store bought ground beef, I cook the burgers well done. I don't want to take any risks. If we are talking about ground in house meat in a restaurant or something, I would encourage medium-medium well. For the last minute or 2, I will add a slice of gruyere cheese onto the burger. Off the heat, onto a plate or wooden board to rest. This is pretty crucial because you want a juicy burger, so let the meat rest for 5 minutes.

Next, I make a garlic aioli. I toast a bun and add that sauce to the bottom and top. Then some lettuce on the bottom bun. The beef on top of that. Then 2 strips of crispy bacon, sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions, and a slice of tomato. Pickle on the side, with thick cut french fries.

Grind your own meat, choosing 20-30% fat content. Season with salt + pepper, and nothing else. Cook on a cast iron pan, at high heat to sear your burger and give it a nice crust. If you're using thick burgers, finish them off in the oven to prevent burning.

And finally, rest your meat. Rest it for at least half the cooking time.

why did you put ham on a burger

Don't add meme food like pickles or tomatoes.

Just because you like your bacon burnt to fuck doesn't mean it's the right way to do bacon.

Only north americans burn their bacon to a crisp, the rest of the world enjoys it

it's attractive

>Shred the condos
Why

Are avocado and pineapple meme toppings? Because they're pretty good

thin patty

good ground chuck or other high fat cuts (can even mix bacon in there)

any toppings you want really but just don't overdo them, I prefer just caramelized onions, some kind of mixed mayo sauce, a good sharp cheddar and bacon, could also replace caramelized onions with fried onions

also a good bun is more important than most people think, it's gotta be very soft and tasty but also have good integrity when subjected to sauces. I prefer brioche buns but a good quality sesame one is also fine.

to cook the burger, you need a decently high heat but not too high, and just spray a bit of water in the pan and cover, flip once, that's it.

If something is a food meme, it's because enough people enjoy it to make it a meme.

two words
>caramelized onions

God tier patty seasoning:
1lb 73/27 beef
1/2 tb chili powder
1/2 tsp salt, pepper, msg
2tsp Worcestershire
3/4 tb oregano
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp Brown sugar

Want some burger to go with that blue cheese user?

Bumparino

Thanks all. So I did make burgers.

Ground chuck with decent amount of fat. I will have to try adding some lamb, I love lamb. Into the meat I mixed finely diced onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of cajun seasoning. Once the patties were formed I seasoned the outside with more salt/pepper. Cooked in cast iron. Buns were toasted with butter in same cast iron.

The one on the left was just greens, tomato, cheddar, onion, pickles, mayo/ketchup/mustard. Honestly I put a little too much mustard and that fucked everything up. Not really a huge fan of that "classic" combination of toppings on a burger either. One on the right was mayo, cheddar, onion rings, bbq sauce. That one was damn good.

Also made a green chili burger the next day.

homemade bun

you can toast the bun in the oven. If you feel frisky, butter it. 6 minutes a side on the grill. bacon is good. mayo, ketchup, mustard, hamburger chips, cheese.

youtube.com/watch?v=rvoBCr7E5qo

don't forget the dent, you will have ball oh burger.

Throw some worcestershire in that bitch as well.

yeah you can't beat a good chili burger. Thats like trying to beat a good chili hotdog. damn getting hungry.

>you never need to flip a burger more than twice
This is so stupid

Explain why it's okay to flip burgers more than twice.

I dont have to present an argument. The (unsupported) claim is that flipping is bad. The presumption is that flipping isn't bad.

No, the claim is there is no NEED to flip a burger more than twice.

If you disagree then you need to explain what that NEED is that requires burgers to be flipped more often.

>keep flipping to an absolute minimum
This implies there's a negative consequence from flipping more than twice. The "need" is used as a wonky justification. More frequent flipping is in fact beneficial for even cooking, better temperature gradients, and it overall lowers cooking time quite significantly.

>This implies there's a negative consequence from flipping more than twice

I don't give a crap what sort of conclusion your mind is leaping to, I'm discussing the actual words being discussed.

>NEED
What's the "need"?

>More frequent flipping is in fact beneficial for even cooking, better temperature gradients, and it overall lowers cooking time quite significantly.

Yes. It also results in a worse sear/crust on the patty if you're using a stove of moderate power (likely for a home cook).

I'm still waiting to hear the "NEED" part here?

>Yes. It also results in a worse sear/crust on the patty if you're using a stove of moderate power (likely for a home cook).
This is also false. You get a more even sear with multiple flips.

>What's the "need"?
You should know, you're the one who brought it up you dumb fucking cunt

Literally however you like. Prepare everything the way you like it. Burgers are simple and versatile. Use the cheese you like, the buns you like, the toppings you like. That's literally all that matters.

or just copy Bruno Albouze until you actually learn how to cook.

youtube.com/watch?v=dqqsSgO1QTY

>This is also false. You get a more even sear with multiple flips.

I wasn't talking about even. I was talking about intensity.

>>you're the one who brought it up you dumb fucking cunt

No, I didn't bring it up at all. I don't think there is such a need. I think it's pointless to circle-jerk about it. For a restaurant that's serving hundreds of burgers it might result in a reasonable time savings. For a typical home cook it's pretty much irrelevant.

My only purpose here was one of semantic clarification. I was pointing out that was not an accurate reply to , because fails to address the all-important term "need" made in the previous claim (which was not mine).

Yes, I am that autistic.

>I was talking about intensity
The minimal difference in intensities are not significant enough to warrant losing out on the other benefits.

The "need" term is a weak justification for a strong imperative. Saying it's not a necessity to do more that two flips doesn't warrant an imperative. This thread is about making the best burger at home. Multiple flips is better if you desire consistency in temperature and cooking, faster cooking, even searing, and better moisture retention. Telling someone not to flip more than once for the sole fact that you don't NEED to in order to get a cooked patty doesn't have a place in the discussion.

>Saying it's not a necessity to do more that two flips doesn't warrant an imperative.

Then the word "need" should never have been used. "Need" is an imperative.

You're mixing up imperative sentence with the concept of something that is imperative. The first sentence – "Keep flipping to a minimum" – is the imperative (sentence) I'm referring to.

watch him not reply

Buy a hamburger press. It makes making burgers super easy. you can time the cooking perfectly because you know the burgers size and weight.
say goodbye to crumbling overcooked burgers.

I swear to Kek that Veeky Forums argues more than /b/ about semantics and bull shit

I feel like it's the same two autists in every thread. They're both faggots, one just uses caps lock more.

Good ground sirloin (do it yourself)
season with salt pepper.
chill in freezer

clarify butter.
heat cast iron for no less than 10 minutes over high.
squirt a bit of clarified butter.
add meat to pan and don't touch it while it builds a crust.
flip.
repeat until both sides are crusty.

toppings:
Home made mayo with tarragon.
a home grown tomato very ripe.
Brioche bun.

add whatever cheese you like.

Anyone try making hand chopped meat? It works fine on a skillet, but always falls apart on the grill. It might be the meat or I mayneed to grease the grill grates.

>always use beef with 20% fat, add melted fat of choice if lower
>one egg per kg (2 lbs) of meat
>add breadcrumbs or potato flour if it's too loose to form into patties
>MSG
>salt
>pepper
>if using lower quality meat, a small amount of cayenne, chili and paprika

Everyone tells me they're the best they've had.

Yup, I'd bet my dick being cut off its the same two idiots in the knife thread

>Buy a hamburger press
Packs the meat too dense. No room for luscious juices in there. Hand-packed with a little dent in the middle is ideal.
The more you practice, the better you get. I can understand if you don't give a shit. You're smashing 250 burgers for the church BBQ and Bubbas were too expensive, sure, use your press.

Use your press that you already own for some tostones, I guess.

Get cutting ASAP. Not like there's a lot there to cut off, so you should be done very soon.

this is the best answer so far

You sure burned me good user

Did you cut your tiny bit off yet?

Here is your (You)

Why are you avoiding the question?

Oh looksie loo, I found you another (You)

He's clearly into SPH and gets off on reading those posts. If he responded you'd drop it.

If you've got good quality meat, salt and pepper is the only seasoning you should ever need on a good burger patty.

Give me one (1) reason not to add msg.

>salt and pepper is the only seasoning

For fucks sake this stupid meme needs to die. You flyover idiots hate seasoning for some odd reason

msg is what you put in food that isn't any good. It's what they put on corn chips to make people buy them. It's what they put in cat chowmein. If you're using MSG to season, you don't know how to cook.

I love the enthusiasm, but I'll pass on the burger.

It's a recipe from CookingInRussia's channel, I'm sure you're a great chef though champ

Wait, people actually willingly put MSG in their home-cooked foods? I know, "anecdotal evidence", "placebo" blah blah blah but that shit always gave me headaches even long before I read any tinfoil hat shit on the internet

Placebos and old wives tales existed before internet.

Glutamate and sodium also existed before MSG.

pri.org/stories/2014-10-03/science-suggests-msg-really-isnt-bad-your-health-after-all

A tomato would give you a headache then, as well as any snackfood in america....attention whore liar

>the sugar/salt/fat coated american-sized portion of general tso's chicken I just ate totally gave me a headache, must be the msg!

Oh I love this (You) meme!

Thank (You). I thought (You) might. Here is an additional (You). You should treat them like karma on leddit kind stranger :)

Kys

Blue. Fucking. Cheese.

Hungarian paprika within.
Lawry's on top.
Flattened and fried on flat top.
Finished with cracked black pepper.