Do you concur or do you consider this wrong/dated?

Do you concur or do you consider this wrong/dated?

If so what should be different about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/fiber-famished-gut-microbes-linked-to-poor-health1/
nutritionfacts.org/video/prebiotics-tending-our-inner-garden/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-five-to-one-fiber-rule/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whole grains aren't any better than polished grains

They are objectively of greater nutritional value.

Seems reasonable. The good thing about it is that it's somewhat vague, leaving out specific information about calories because that varies from one person to the next. I think the note about oils could be expanded a little more. It only mentions butter, olive and canola oils. Peanut, vegetable, and corn oils are pretty common too. It should at least mention one of those as healthy or unhealthy. I wonder what it would say about rendered animal fats too. Personally, I use a fair amount of chicken fat when I cook.

lower GI, more fiber, minutely more other micronutrients etc.

I'd replace whole grain with legumes instead, and add nuts and avocados on the plate. Also include berries.

>2016

>eat grains
>limit butter
>limit red meat
>limit cheese
>avoid bacon

Olive oil rerally shouldn't be used for any kind of cooking due to its low burning point.

Telling people to use oil is pretty stupid. Oil is refined fat devoid of nutritional value, it's one of the unhealthiest, most fattening shit you could tell the public to consume. It's fascinating to me that dumbass concepts like this encourage oil consumption and at the same fucking time demonize refined sugar and even natural sugar in fruit juice. Refined sugar is pretty much harmless whereas Westerners are already consuming way too much refined added fat on the daily.

Of course it shouldn't be too surprising given that there are a couple retards working at Harvard who built their career on the glycemic index bullshit, so this entire plate is very much in the spirit of quasi-low-carb quackery. That also explains why they get people all scared of potatoes. Consumption of fresh potatoes has been declining for decades while consumption of French fries has been going up. You know what a French fry is? A potato with "healthy oil". But yeah, the fucking potato is definitely the unhealthy part. Better cut that shit out and pour more oil over everything, that seems to have had fantastic effects on public health over the last couple decades.

I agree with your suggestion of including nuts and legumes separately, but as for whole grains: GI is irrelevant for healthy people and doesn't even vary much between refined and whole grains most of the time. The fiber in grain bran doesn't have any real positive effect either, it's just a laxative. It's true that whole grains contain more micronutrients but this is not too relevant in the context of a diet rich in vegetables and fruits where deficiency is usually a non-issue.

normal olive oil is fine to cook with at low temperatures.

it doesn't taste as good if its been warmed tho user

use extra virgin for dressings.

>replace the food pyramid because it's obsolete
>still pushing the "binge on carbs" angle because muh agriculture industry

i'm pretty sure i've read your retardation before

It would be nice if people were actually binging on carbs, too bad nobody is doing that and people are instead binging on "healthy oils" (the most idiotic phrase to ever enter the world of nutrition)

>Telling people to use oil is pretty stupid. Oil is refined fat devoid of nutritional value, it's one of the unhealthiest, most fattening shit you could tell the public to consume. It's fascinating to me that dumbass concepts like this encourage oil consumption and at the same fucking time demonize refined sugar and even natural sugar in fruit juice. Refined sugar is pretty much harmless whereas Westerners are already consuming way too much refined added fat on the daily.
>"healthy oils" (the most idiotic phrase to ever enter the world of nutrition)

Fucking idiot

it's funny that if you correlate added sugar it's a perfect 1:1 correlation but he has this shaky line

anyway, tl;dr it's wrong. If anything is bad for us it's eating too much sugar, not fat

>replace with instant noodles

>live for years on it

I think just about everyone knows what a "healthy" plate should include but ain't nobody got time for dat.

>ain't nobody got time for dat.
speak for yourself.

t. a healthy neet

>it's funny that if you correlate added sugar it's a perfect 1:1 correlation
Quit listening to bullshit on YouTube.

People started smashing the refined sugar 200 years ago. That's when they started using motorized carts? Just after George Washington died? I thought it was in 1980 because the US government told people to cut down on fat which obviously caused everybody to become fat.
Yeah, the massive 20% increase in sugar consumption definitely explains why people became exceptionally obese starting in 1980 and weren't obese for the 150 years of eating refined sugar before that. Perfect correlation right there.

Yeah who doesn't remember all the motorized carts in the Civil War because people were putting refined sugar in their coffee every day?

People were consuming a lot more fat than sugar in the civil war days.

>The fiber in grain bran doesn't have any real positive effect either, it's just a laxative.
Actually, current nutritional research suggests that the microbiome in your gut feeds off of the fermented soluble fiber you eat and prevents such bacteria from switching to digesting your protective intestinal mucus layer and reduces body inflammation from a hypersensitive immune system while also lowering risks for obesity and diabetes.
scientificamerican.com/article/fiber-famished-gut-microbes-linked-to-poor-health1/
nutritionfacts.org/video/prebiotics-tending-our-inner-garden/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-five-to-one-fiber-rule/

You're not responding meaningfully to what I said nor do you really seem to have an understanding of what you're talking about.

Grain bran is almost entirely insoluble nonfermentable fiber (mostly celluloses and hemicelluloses) which has no prebiotic effect and no effect other than laxation - in fact it is sold and used as a laxative.

Grain bran and germ also do not contain more fermentable fiber than the endosperm, they contain about the same amount, but are only a small part of the weight in a whole grain product anyway.

Furthermore, not all grains even have a significant prebiotic effect.

Gluten grains contains fructans of various length which are bifidogenic prebiotics. There's just as many fructans in the endosperm as in the bran. Refined wheat is just as prebiotic as whole wheat.

Barley and oats contain beta-glucans which reduce LDL cholesterol and have other beneficial effects including a prebiotic effect. Again, the same quantity is found in refined grains as in whole, although refined oats are rarely consumed. Refined barley products are rich in beta-glucans and producers are allowed to make health claims related to lowering cholesterol.

Both white and brown rice have virtually no prebiotic effect (which is why they're popular for people with sensitive tummies), so regardless of which one you consume you're not doing much in terms of microbiome.

All starches contain some amount of prebiotic resistant starch but this is concentrated in the starch portion, i.e. the endosperm and not the bran or germ.

What exactly is going to happen if I eat more protein than the supposed optimal?

>Healthy protein

People have been eating meat alongside fish and poultry and whatever the fuck else since the dawn of time.

Meat is meat. It's not what meat it is but how it's raised/fed.

Heard it can give you kidney stones

Why would anyone even bother with refined grains in the first place when you can get the whole package in roughly the same caloric load?

I think by unhealthy protein they mean processed meats

Fresh red meat being unhealthy is not established science

It specifically states to limit red meat and cheese.

Who even needs iron anyway? amirite

Everything is processed unless you mean you're going to perform photosynthesis on your own

>limit red meat
memes

Heme iron is one of the reasons why consumption of red meat should be limited. Heme iron is independently associated with negative effects on health, unlike iron from plant sources.

Red meat is also unhealthy for other reasons besides the small increase in cancer risk. Red meat, like all meat, is usually fried in fat which leads to protein oxidation next to lipid oxidation in the food matrix thus promoting insulin resistance, cancer and cardiovascular disease.

>Red meat, like all meat, is usually fried in fat

>fat causes insulin resistance

wew lad

why are you so anti fat?

I didn't say that fat causes insulin resistance. Frying protein in fat is specifically and separately associated with insulin resistance because of the chemical changes that occur in this particular process.

But yes, even unheated dietary fat promotes insulin resistance because it promotes buildup of intromyocellcular lipids that block insulin receptors in muscles (although this does not account for the lack of glucagon suppression in type 2 diabetes which is a separate process).
In genetically susceptible healthy and normal-weight individuals you can induce type 2 diabetes by putting them on a high-fat low-carb diet for around 1-2 months. Although there are studies that do this they also did do it in the "Sugar vs Fat" documentary where a guy went from normal to prediabetic in 4 weeks while losing 4 kilograms of weight at the same time, following a high-fat low-carb diet. His identical twin brother had lower fasting glucose and fasting insulin after 4 weeks on a high-sugar low-fat diet.

>white rice is refined
I'm finding this hard to believe.. are you telling me the rice doesn't naturally grow white?

35% meat
20% vegetables
10% dairy
10% grains
20% fruits
5% junk

Yes. If you're being sarcastic, you're bad at it.

it's mostly right. the only things i disagree with are:

having to limit butter compared to olive/canola oil

limiting refined grains, refined grains are fine if you get enough fiber from veg, and it's usually better to mix grains. e.g. refined and whole grain, at least from a taste perspective. there is such a thing as too much fiber.

i don't really see why you should limit dairy to 1-2 servings but they don't say to limit chicken and fish, a lot of people eat too much meat. maybe the fat content? in that case, just switch to skim milk if the rest of your diet has fat.

little to no "whole" grains
why put oil on everything?

the balance of these 4 things is awful.

vegetables are such a fucking meme. switch protein and vegetables sizes.

>protein oxidation

you mean cooking?

Are you actually retarded

I have never followed this and I'm a sad piece of shit.
If I did I would most likely still be a piece of shit

That's nice user but I'm a human so I also need meat

Looks alright, but the fruit can be optionally replaced with more vegetables. Fruit is great, but it's not necessary

>no meat

>although this does not account for the lack of glucagon suppression in type 2 diabetes which is a separate proces
isn't that from alpha cell insulin resistance?

I would remove the words "healthy protein" and put "plant based protein, white meat chicken, or fish"

I would then add a trash bin and put "red meat, deli meat, bacon" on the trash can.

If this is supposed to be a healthy eating plate then "healthy protein" is redundant. They should just write what is acceptable on there.

>limiting meats and fats

>potatoes don't count
>avoid bacon
>limit milk
>limit red meat
Literally no fun allowed: the meals.

I disagree, I'm sold on the Keto lifestyle being the best, but hey, my knowledge is limited, and do whatever you think is best.

>Potatoes don't count
>One of the best sources for complex carbs
??? ??? ???

your kidneys will go into overdrive filtering it out the excess that your body doesnt need

I don't understand how you can feel full after a meal if you don't have carbs. I eat oatmeal and bread every day and I'm thin, I don't really see what the problem there is. I just avoid white rice, pasta and white bread.

b-b-ut muh evil insulin and glucose fairy

How are the crops this year? Has your eldest joined the lords shield wall yet?

The modern potato sodomized by mounds of salt, butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped up bacon or deep fried richly deserves that qualifier.

The simple baked or roasted potato with spices, herbs, and a little salt/pepper is not what most people envision anymore.

This is getting at the "pizza has tomato sauce in it so it counts as a vegetable" line of thinking.

you'll make some sick gainz brah

I don't get the joke, sorry.

You leave humanity behind

cave people didnt eat whole grains, or half grains, quarter grains, third grains, whatever grains. all you need is protein and green vegetables and a nice glass of olive oil.

There's a whole page about potatoes and glycemic load at the harvard website. The potato is not really a complex carbohydrate.