ITT we post prose passages from books we've got on hand and anons guess whether the writing has been translated...

ITT we post prose passages from books we've got on hand and anons guess whether the writing has been translated. No Google searching.
If you must Google search then here's your hat and there's the homepage. Bonus points for the anons who support their guess with evidence
from the passage. Just imagine how good you'll feel if you guess correctly honestly, how greatly your belief in your literary acuity might be strengthened.

I will start:

She thought of the silent antechambers hung with Oriental tapestry, lit by tall bronze candelabra, and of the two great footmen
in knee breeches who sleep in the big armchairs, made drowsy by the heavy warmth of the hot-air stove. She thought of the long salons
fatted up with ancient silk, of the delicate furniture carrying priceless curiosities, and of the coquettish perfumed boudoirs made
for talks at five o'clock with intimate friends, with men famous and sought after, whom all women envy and whose attention they all desire.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yvwhEIhv3N0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Untranslated. It reads too smooth

Translated. Armchairs.

Nice one. Now you post

izzat fitzgerald?

zat's Maupassant. What made you think it was Fitzgerald?

Fitzgerald has a smooth-reading, beautiful style. Also, he sometimes uses strange somewhat pedestrian even verbs like "fatted," though he's also extremely intelligent and can paint a complex scene without anything seeming outta place

Maman died today.

>Maman
Clearly it's the original. Pynchon is known for peppering his stuff with colloquial French.

Ok. I'll do a couple. Here's the first:

My mother turned and went to her bedroom where, in a house full of men and rods and rifles, she had faced most of her great problems alone. She was never to ask me a question about a man she loved most and understood least. Perhaps she knew enough to know that for her it was enough to have loved him. He was probably the only man in the world who had held her in his arms and leaned back and laughed.

I don't get it. What would an English writer have used?

I really hope that's translated.

You're trying too hard, mon cher

L-Z-boys

*La-Z-Boys

fuck the french and you

...I do not despise them. Their antics seem pitiable in my eyes. I note the fact for future reference with many others in my notebook. When I am grown up I shall carry a notebook – a fat book with many pages, methodically lettered. I shall enter my phrases. Under B shall come “Butterfly powder”. If, in my novel, I describe the sun on the window-sill, I shall look under B and find butterfly powder. That will be useful. The tree “shades the window with green fingers”. That will be useful. But alas! I am so soon distracted – by a hair like twisted candy, by Celia’s Prayer Book, ivory covered. Louis can contemplate nature, unwinking, by the hour. Soon I fail, unless talked to. “The lake of my mind, unbroken by oars, heaves placidly and soon sinks into an oily somnolence.” That will be useful.’

Untranslated. But what is it? Sounds like high-functioning autism to me.

We have you fucking Yanks to thank for writers like Fitzgerald. Take a look in the miroir, vous américain miette

Try this:

With this the conversation ended, and we continued to walk in silence, side by side. On the summit of the mountain we found snow. The sun set,
and—as usually is the case in the south—night followed upon the day without any interval of twilight. Thanks, however, to the sheen of the snow,
we were able easily to distinguish the road, which still went up the mountain-side, though not so steeply as before.

Sorry,
It's not.

the waves

the inner dialogues there are amazing... but they are like people never speak neither to others nor to themselves

>vous américain miette
This sounds more insulting than it is.

your people have produced nothing of consequence in the realm of philosophy or literature in the last century (and no, neither penis-algebra, cross-eyed heidegger-cribbing, feminism, maudlin cigarette smoking abt. meaninglessness nor

youtube.com/watch?v=yvwhEIhv3N0

^HAHAHHAHA

+ your country is the intl. equivalent of tumblr and you have a worldwide reputation for being pompous douchebags & surrender monkeys with a language curiously devoid of consonants but heavy on presciptive nonsense. curious how you interpolate your english with french, I imagine the reverse would be disallowed by your beareau of clean language ministers

FROGGIES PLS GO

..... Pynchon? Not Camus?

It is a shame you would allow the ideological architecture of modern France to obscure your view of the undepletable well of intellect that
is my timeless cultural and intellectual accomplishment. The most powerful man anywhere is the most powerful man everywhere, and I have
taken on Americans to English to Russians to you name it always to prove myself the cleverer. So you can say what you wish, but the strength
of my country does not define the strength of my tongue.

And I am sorry, I will not watch your Youtube video, Monsieur.

>night followed upon the day without any interval of twilight
Translated.