What was the scariest thing you read as a child Veeky Forums? And why was it Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark?

What was the scariest thing you read as a child Veeky Forums? And why was it Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark?
Also general Scary Stories thread for discussion purposes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OOzfq9Egxeo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've come to vipe your vindows.

God damnit you just gave me flashbacks. That story is almost as creepy as the one about the hunter out in the woods who gets taken by the fucking Wendigo.

bump

Oh shit the wendigo one was one of my favorites

Do you still have your copies user? I still have mine. Should I post a few of the shorter ones?

The shorter stories I mean.

Those were always fucking terrible. Read some Poe or Lovecraft if you want horror in literary form done right.

Shut up reddit

Oh come on that's a bit of an unfair assessment. Sure, the originals had pretty spooky looking art but that only helped set the tone for stories. They played off of one another. I'm not saying by any means that they are literary masterpieces, after all they are intended for children. But they were good for what they were.

They're still fucking scary as fuck. The stories as well

Didn't think original artwork could be topped until I saw these

I hope you're joking.

Something about these new covers seems to be far less scary. They give it an almost cheap feeling, like it's a slasher flick from the 80s. Don't get me wrong they're really well-drawn, I just think the older ones were far superior in being creepy.

>pic very much related

What about adult horror?

What's the scariest thing you've read as an adult?

I am

It wouldn't be traditionally categorized as adult horror but it certainly could be placed in that category. I just finished reading Killer Show by John Barylick, it's about The Station nightclub fire that occurred back in 2003 that killed 100 people and injured 230.

youtube.com/watch?v=OOzfq9Egxeo

The Book of Revelation, KJV. The descriptions of the plagues and the vivid imagery scared me as a child. In the Bible as well, the descriptions of Seraphim frightened me when I learned about them after a peculiar experience. Before I was even religious or knew anything in the Bible I saw a similar creature to what was described as Seraphim; 6 wings, 2 covering face, 2 covering feet, 2 for flying, when I was on the ground playing with Hot Wheels and sensed it behind me I turned and saw it then immediately ran crying to my mother and described the creature to her but when we looked back nothing was there. What I saw which wasn't described in the Bible was a dark cloudy aura around the creature.

>that one page I always knew was coming
>that ONE page I KNEW was coming
>i don't want to have another near-heartattack like the first time I saw it
>slowly turn every fucking page because I'm sure it'll be the next one
>never is
>let my guard down, maybe that's in the other volume
>flip each page normally, a nice clean wick to the side
>flip it
>this greets me

I forgot to mention, don't watch the video if you're faint of heart. The only remotely horrific thing you can actually see is a dude stumble out of the building on fire, but you will remember those screams for a long time.

Disturbing footage. Watched it a couple times now, it doesn't get much better. The way they have no idea what's coming at the start.

Never read the book though.

I highly recommend the book, it goes into great detail about all of the small factors which came together to create one giant shitstorm. It's quite the interesting read, but damn is it brutal. It gives you a whole new perspective on fire safety and being in large venues.

Ironically the only reason there's footage of the fire taking place is because a local cameraman was there to capture footage for a local news story on fire safety.

Goosebumps: Calling All Creeps.

Before you rape me for saying that, hear me out. Imagine The Thing/Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers. It's basically a rip-off of that. The protagonist discovers these beings exist hidden as human. Humans can be made into them if they ingest this seed. So for some reason he puts them in cookies and gives them to everyone. He realizes that now the world will be turned so he faces either death by these things or to become one.

For a kids book it was heavy at the time. It freaked me out. The other fucked up one was Beast From The East because it seemed there was no escape from the creatures. They wouldn't let you but if you gave up on their game they would eat you. So you have to keep playing but eventually you'll lose.

The rest of RL Stine's stuff is mostly shit but these 2 freaked me out as a 10 year old.

>like its a slasher flick from the 80's

Not even, 70's and 80's slasher films use the cheap aesthetic to their advantage, it looks good. These do not.

This cover always scared the shit out of me when I was little. It looks like that thing is about to get you. Didn't help that it was holographic

>At one point you read scary stories for children, like when you were a child? Bleh! Go back in time RIGHT NOW and read fucking Lovecraft! It surely won't be lost on you as a fucking kid!

>it's dedicated reading time in grade school
>this page
>I physically jump and close the book
>everyone's looking at me

Goosebumps "Ghost Beach" and "Welcome to Dead House".

Pure nightmare fuel, those two.

In 5th grade I read this one Stephen King short story that was pretty scary. Don't remember which book it was from, it was about this kid who has to take care of his dying grandma who was apparently a witch. I know it is a meme on here to hate him, but they were enjoyable for me as a kid.

Most of Lovecraft is shit though. He only has a few standout stories, none of which are really that terrifying, just interesting.

Just stop friendo.

just looked it up, it is called grandma. Seriously scary shit and pretty well done in all honesty.

Mine was Lore of the Flies, its when i started to get into reading a lot and the theme of anyone has the potential to kill. how fear drove people to kill one another. It creeped me out.

'red hand, black bed-sheet, green fingers'... or actually 'the gruesome children's stories', the novel itself wasn't that scary as the raw material