Stupid Questions

Do I need to know how to cook well if I want to go to culinary school?

It's too late this year but I am thinking about applying to culinary school next year. Obviously I will start teaching myself how to cook immediately but I'm wondering if one year of home experience will be enough.

Next question: There is a job available at a local restaurant for a line cook. Do you think they would hire me and train me even though I hardly know anything?

Going to culinary school is already kind of dumb for 90% of people, but if you go without any restaurant experience, the people who have already worked in a real kitchen are going to walk all over you. Just saying.

Have you been?

No

Well that's why I asked if I should apply for that line cook job.

Yes.

Maybe.

Do some research OP. Dont rely on Veeky Forums. Their opinions may have been relevant at one time but now this is just the food section of /b/.

I realize that now. I'm gonna go ahead and abandon this thread and start looking for advice elsewhere.. like reddit :^)

>now this is just the food section of /b/

Fuck off. My opinion is just as valid as it was 7 or 8 years ago when I first walked through those swinging doors and sat down on that there stool.

things change and not all schools are the same. Just because YOU experienced something doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone everywhere. You are a dumb person who should not be giving people life advice.

I was talking about Veeky Forums, but my opinion about culinary school is also just as valid. If you're a home cook and don't know the restaurant hustle shuffle you'll get eaten alive and end up being the guy rinsing vegetables in your group and not learning shit.

I've been cooking for six years, worked in restaurants, hotels, country clubs, and a hospital. You'll definitely want to apply for a line cook job, or perhaps even a prep cook position. Either way you'll learn some basics that will help carry you in culinary school. You need to maintain high standards for food though. Don't let corporate businesses trying to push out shit quickly let you compromise your end goal of learning.

>You'll definitely want to apply for a line cook job

Even if I have hardly any experience at all with cooking? I mean it wouldn't hurt to apply, the worst that could happen is I don't get the job.

Many places will train you without any experience if you have the right attitude and aren't a complete fuck up, especially right now since Summer just ended and there are loads of job openings.

As someone enrolled in the apprentice class for people already working in the industry i can say that you need zero experience to go.

Some of the dumbcunts who have been in the industry for half a year that cant even figure out which end of the knife to chop with learn heaps of shit and manage to pass tests

Don't get snappy with me, son.

Absolutely not. Go find a nice local restaurant and go and shut the fuck up and do what they tell you.

Do you need to know calculus to work in a top kitchen?

>There is a job available at a local restaurant for a line cook. Do you think they would hire me and train me even though I hardly know anything?
Depends on the level. But if youre a hard worker and will do what they tell you, a lot of places will take that over a veteran simply because they can mold you in to what they want.

>Do you think they would hire me and train me even though I hardly know anything?

Unlikely. If they wanted someone without experience to train up, they would promote a KP who they already know has a good work ethic.