Enough of this faggotry and idiots who've never actually cooked in their lives

Enough of this faggotry and idiots who've never actually cooked in their lives.

This thread for those of us who get paid to put out great food.

How was service tonight, user?

Also

>tfw I open tomorrow and Im still not asleep

Service was pretty good. Until I choked my son so hard he started to blwed out of his nose.
God forgave me though :)

Lol what?!

I'm with you user. I have to leave in 4 hrs and haven't slept yet

N..nothing.

I worked at a shithole called Las Alitas in Monterrey, Mexico. Place was dirty as fuck. Roaches, rotten food everywhere, dirty, wet and small workplace, the food was disgustingly made and everything was frozen. I worked from 5 pm to 5 am because we where at half worker capacity. Is every restaurant like this? I would like to work on a decent kitchen

I prefer to cook for my own enjoyment, as well as not working in the service industry.

Fuck no.

What are some good american mainstream restaurants that have a decent kitchen? We have Chilis, Ihop, Olive Garden... And I think thats it, I loved cooking for other people even if it was just a chicken burger, I would perfectly fry the chicken, nicely toast the bun and spread some ranch dressing, cut the chicken in half and bathe it in hot wing sauce, put in the bottom bun, add cheese, lettuce and grated carrots, top the sandwich and stab it with a giant toothpick in the middle. Then assemble the dish with some potatoe wedges. Damn did I love to get out of the kitchen to get some coke and see the dude eat it and say to his girlfriend that it was good

; )

So you dont know how to cook.

No? I work breakfast at a fine dining restaurant/4 star hotel

This is why no one appreciates chefs, because a lot of you are stuck up poofs

Theres just a difference between a hobby and a profession dude. A vast majority of the people that think they can cook super well usually commit at least 2 or 3 mortal sins in a given cooking session.

When you have the repetition that we get and the constant critique we get, you just have to understand that every person that says that they can cook that has never worked in a kitchen, gets a bit of an eye roll.

I was preppin some lasagna and I was just about to butter my canolis when in comes the manager of the joint with this gorgeous broad and im sittin there with this hot fuckin pizza pan in my hands and this son of a bitch just keeps talkin and I my hands are starting to come off like fucking rotisserie chicken finally this motherfucka leaves and so I piss in the clam chowda

Define some cooking sins, as the other user was talking about cooking for hobby, not for an establishment so they may or may not apply

He's not arguing that, he's just calling you a cunt for a being a cunt. Hell you probably call yourself a cunt all the time ya cunt.

>Theres just a difference between a hobby and a profession

Not true, working 55 hours a week in fine dining is my hobby, i love it and i cook on my days off aswell

I mean, I am in fact a cunt. Go fuck yourself.

People are absolute retards when it comes to all kinds of meat in both temping and seasoning and failing to allow rest.

My food is better than the vast majority of restaurants'.
suck my dick fag boi

Man I love the grind too but sometimes im just too broken to get it done at home.

You counting mcdonalds in that statement?

I mean youre probably not wrong in your assertions, but you came on way too strong in this thread. Dad used to have a saying "it doesnt matter if youre right, if youre an asshole about it no one will care to listen" im glad you feel proud of your skills, just dont put people who do cooking as a hobby down

Sorry, I just got off and Im still jacked from service this morning. Fucking 80% of the hotel checked out and im pretty sure every single one of them came in and ate this morning.

>get some coke

We understand you're all drug addicts. Please stop trying to make food.

Thats why i tend to give chefs a long rope, some days can be hell. I mean i sure as hell dont miss dealing with drunks when i was a linecook many years ago

Who here /backpains/?

No i am not.
>tfw put some music on, get a drink and take your time cooking dinner

Yeah man, thankfully I dont work our dinner service. We're downtown in a decent sized city and we close at 11pm and like Ive heard after like 9:30 its just a complete shit show. Some interesting stories though.

This isn't too far off, I'm a foodrunner at a restaurant in the vegas strip and all the cooks have some sort of drug vice (along with being mostly mexican)

I don't judge though, I party it up with them

Man, I dont partake in that shit but like, at like hour 11 and you really hate your life and your body is mad as fuck at you, i kind of understand why coke exists in the industry.

>chef de cuisine is going to put me on grill next week
>i also have to run the wheel
>i am the dishwasher
>executive chef dgaf
>sous chefs face when
sink or swim i guess, holy shit.

>chef de cuisine is going to put me on grill next week

And youre dish?

Also that sounds like some shit leadership from your exec. Your sous will have your back though.

Yup, service industry is tough. Back when I worked club scenes (that where also restaurants) doing those 14 - 16 hour days were hard. Constant physical labor along with customer service for such an extended period of time is very difficult to do without getting really irritated or angry. The staff always had some flavor of the day, adderall, coke, etc.

Honestly IMO the worst part about those long days is if you have to close to finish them. Oh youre tired are you? Well heres a kick in the balls and go detail everything that you just spent the last 16 hours getting every kind of uncleanable bullshit in the world caked on it. That shit is why I count my blessings right now that Im a breakfast/brunch chef. I still have to break down but none of the big ticket detailing items for closing.

I dont do uppers but i've started smoking weed after shifts to help me sleep as i was having trouble getting to sleep after long shifts. my body would be fucked but my mind was racing too much

>And youre dish?
i have previous experience, just rusty af. i quit my last job a year ago because i wanted back into foodservice. requested dish because i think spending a year or two on the sinks builds good staff relations (if you're not a total shitbag) and fosters knowledge and an appreciation of the property that you just don't get by hiring right onto the line.

>Also that sounds like some shit leadership from your exec
he oversees three full kitchens on-site and generally allows the CdeCs a lot of room to make decisions without micromanaging.

>Your sous will have your back though.
he's going to crawl up my ass and make a nest is what he's gonna do.

FOH at a mid-range NY style grill here

How do I into cooking without having to work in a shithole kitchen or go to culinary school?

Or, if i have to go to school, where, and what's the least amount of time i need to spend there?

How do you define a shit hole kitchen?

I've never worked in a kitchen, but I just started dating a chef. She's gorgeous, funny and smart, but I'm almost certain it's not going to work out.

Between her fucked up schedule, all her co-workers trying to fuck her, and her being up to her ears in drama and stress, I just hope I can enjoy her as long as possible.

>when a waitress brings a customer into the kitchen to bitch at me

>How do I into cooking without having to work in a shithole kitchen or go to culinary school?
just start hanging around the prep cooks during the time in which you would normally be fucking off on your phone at the waitstation. they want your help. they NEED it. go help them.

servers don't talk to the cooks. only the expo talks to the cooks. you want something from the cooks? you have to go through the expo. guess what? i'm expo and you're both leaving! bye!

kitchen is made up of mostly ex-cons who can't really get a job anywhere else, as well as a kitchen where I'd be making less than I would be as a server now. Honestly, I don't know enough about the inner workings yet to be sure... How would you define it?
Is there any easy way to do this w/o it being awkward? Usually I know how to deal with customers, but that's because they're receptive. Generally, the kitchen seems cold (lol) toward waitstaff because they know how much easier our jobs are and how much more we get unfairly paid

>How was service tonight?
>Monday
I don't know, I don't work fucking loser shifts.

We just had two of our best guys put in their two weeks. No new hires. Menu changes every 3 seconds, schedules getting changed 3 times a week, they just keep piling more and more on us, with no reward, raise, or praise. We've all had it with this place. Been doing this for almost 8 years, never worked so hard in a kitchen.

I think I'm over it. The egos, the no money, the no social life. It's not worth it. Anyone successfully make it out of this grinder?

How do I deal with bullying culture in the kitchen?

I work as a Potwash in a country club and live on site. I share my apartment with a couple of the cooks and they make my life pretty hard, mostly owing to the fact I am not a very good chef.

For example yesterday I was cleaning dishes and one of the chefs passed me a plate and said 'someone vomited on this plate Potty' and handed me a dish.

It was a dish with my leftover lasagna that I made the previous night.

Other times they just act straight rude and cruel because they consider themselves above me. for example o Halloween I came to work in an Octopus costume to make a joke about how much better I'd be if I had 8 arms and they started saying that I can't be an Octopus because an Octopus can open a jar but all I can do is put soap into one and rinse it. Or that I can't be an Octopus because they are good at escaping from places but I can't even escape my futureless potwash job.

I haven't even said anything about it, I just politely laugh and go along with it. they paid a male stripper to dress as a cast iron pan for my birthday and made me wash him. I thought going along with it would make them like me but it has made it worse.

>they paid a male stripper to dress as a cast iron pan for my birthday and made me wash him

Please tell me this doesn't happen

>How do I deal with bullying culture in the kitchen?

The same way you deal with it anywhere else--stand up to it. Throw banter back right at them.

Does passion really make it that much easier? I can't imagine cooking professionally, all that heat and stress and asshole customers.

you should probably just go to HR about it. people like that have no business in a professional kitchen, or any professional environment for that matter.

>kitchen
>HR department
this is a no cunt work zone

>as well as a kitchen where I'd be making less than I would be as a server now
So, pretty well every kitchen? BOH rarely makes tips so it's a pretty rare circumstance where servers don't make substantially more than cooks.

Those dudes sound fucking hilarious. You're in the wrong industry dingus

>cooking for money

lmao enjoy your poverty and substance abuse, cuck.

no but for real--seems like a really hard thankless job. Had an aspiring chef roommate a few years back in a big city working at fine-dining places as an entry level cook fresh out of culinary school. He'd be gone all day for about 13-14 hour stretches on every day, 6-7 day weeks. Crazy shit.

This.

Most of the time i'm happy with my job- i get paid to do something i love- but i really wish the pay was less poverty-tier. I get why it's not, profit margins in restaurants are tiny as it is, but i do a pretty skilled, high-stress job and i work a fucking lot of hours and my pay is pretty much a joke.

>profit margins in restaurants are tiny as it is

Is this actually true though? In the decent restaurants around here, i have to meet a owner who didn't own a nice house and decent car

Just bring a gun to work one day and shoot them all to death, duh.

Head chefs (and maybe sous chefs?) get paid OK in high-end places I assumed. What about in "middle-end" restaurants?

So does pretty much everyone else in the kitchen get paid shit except for them, even in fine-dining places?

>Most Of the food I cook when I have the time is better

Nice "IKEA effect" retard

Average pay for an exec chef is about 50k/year. And that's working a shitload of hours too- think 80-100 hours a week.

Sous chefs make 30-40k or so and line cooks basically make minimum wage or pretty close.

Nah, it's true.

>working slave-tier hours for shitty pay because "muh pashun"
l m a o

Passion is a meme word to justify bad career choices

Off work today.

I worked Lunch yesterday and it was the first really and I mean REALLY nice summer day. Its was almost as busy as our usual Monday dinner service for the last 2 hours of Lunch service

Yeah, Ive found a good situation. I make 13/hr get 40 hours and full benefits. My schedule is also pretty nice in that I work four 10 hour days and then get 3 off. Im also a breakfast chef so Im off by 3pm. Extremely professional environment on top of that. Exec chef is extremely keen on the atmosphere of the kitchen. In the 6 months ive been there, theres only been one turnover at one position.

Holy shit so much this.

Brag about your 'passion' all you want, you're the lowest of the low socially and economically, and you've got nobody to blame but yourself.

>13/hr
Apex lel. I make the equivalent of $68 per hour working in an office. You guys really did fuck your lives up. But hey, we can't all make smart choices.

Chefs finally realized our kitchen was a sanitary disaster when plumbers came in and found out rats were tearing through the water valves
So we finally did some deep cleaning and some water bombing under the ovens. Found a knife under the flattop, and I got to keep it lel

>"working" in an office

not him, but no thanks. i can't imagine anything more soul crushing than working in a cubicle while basically only doing ~20-25 hours of actual work per week but still being required to be there.

also,

>office politics

no thanks

>not him, but no thanks. i can't imagine anything more soul crushing than working in a cubicle
I can. Being a bitch to women who make more than you for carrying plates 30 feet and making food for ungrateful idiots day in day out in an uncomfortably small and hot area seems like the worst thing to do fit a job.

It's nice that you get this idea from television and movies.

I'm also a pretty big masochist though

service went pretty damn well considering we ran two men short on a specials night. I think helps that I didn't drink before or during. on my way home to pack a bowl and pour a healthy sized bourbon, maybe watch some TV.

haha captcha was pictures of food

Keep thinking that. I have an easy job, i get breaks, i get holidays and benefits, my work area is comfortable and air conditioned, i work sane hours and get to have a social life, and i make four or five times as much money as you.

Enjoy making half as much as the servers (if that), constantly cutting and burning yourself, fucking up your knees and your back and going sterile from the constant heat. Those of us that made good life choices are laughing at you. Now hurry up and make my food.

Office work isn't existentially satisfying, so your rationalizations fall short. That being said, being a cook is worse in pay and workload.

I don't understand why they didn't go into general labor like construction or landscaping, that's more satisfying and pays better.

People with white collar jobs can work, get paid a high salary and cook at home to satisfy the need to be culinary-adventurous. And be able to afford all manner of high-end appliances, that blue collar cooks at the Marriott would never be able to afford on their wage.

Why anyone would work over 40 hours a week, breaking their body for shit pay and guaranteed substance abuse, is beyond me. Cooking is a hobby, not a wise career.

Tommy Wright, ma nigga

Your reading comprehension isn't too great, is it?

GM here. Why do all you faggot cooks try to make your fake shitty job more important than it is? I hire beaners to do what you do, and they do it 200% better than any amerifag. Your job is bottom tier slave work. Stop thinking you're badasses. You're uneducated slaves.

Th.. This is advanced jackposting.

>its a forgot you were working the night before and only got 2 hours of proper sleep episode

This.

Has anyone ever cooked in small town restaurants? Trying to get out of the city, sick of the hustle, bustle and crazy rent prices
Are the prospects good? Is it impossible to get anywhere without car? Share some stories

Don't expect good money at all.

GM here again. I always laugh at you faggots who try to make "cooking" a career. You're all failures and alcoholics. Get into management. Or be a proper chef. I know it's hard for your simple slave minds to grasp, though.

I thought Mexico is just one giant shithole.

I'd rather make my own food and enjoy myself than work long hours making a bunch of shit I won't get to eat for people that probably don't even appreciate it. Faggot.

you actually, literally just made a gigantic strawman argument without addressing any of my actual points.

regardless, i look forward to going to work because it's something i enjoy doing.

What's the worst hygiene violations you have seen in your time?

>all these trolls that think I give a shit

Anyone who cooks in a real restaurant is required to taste everything that goes out.

We also have an open kitchen and the amount of times that people come by to thank me specifically because of the meal I just provided them is actually starting to become annoying.

Im sure you work at some shit chain or some locally owned restaurant that has the markings of a wanna-be fine dining establishment but just simply isnt the real thing, simply because theres a GM. In real fine dining restaurants the executive chef is who is calling the shots and the only people that cook are people that give a shit. Which not to be super racist means absolutely no immigrants. Immigrants are great workers for restaurants that set it up for them on a T but they cut corners and just arent cut out for restaurants that are actually trying to achieve something more than making money. Theyre there simply for a paycheck and will do the absolute bare minimum it takes to achieve that.

Also, for everyone else talking shit,13/hr is a pretty decent wage considering where I live and that was my starting, and I dont have a degree. No one in our restaurant works over 40 hours and we all get PTO, Full benefits(health including dental and vision, short and long term disability and life) and incredibly good 401k plan.

I genuinely enjoy what I do and the place I do it for takes care of me because of it. Talk shit all you want but my bills are paid, I have a nice car and I fuck the shit out of my girlfriend night the same as you (lol or maybe not because youre such a faggot).

And yes, my culinary skills alone gets me laid. So eat a fat fucking dick.

I actually just scored my second raise, not counting the initial minimum wage increase. man my ot is going to look fantastic.

when you work in construction for a bit you begin to realise that the reason why "chefs" (most of them line cooks) are so macho and swear so much

it's because you work in an environment where people are doing women's work and as such you feel the need to berate people and bitch all the time about how difficult your job is, when really you have no idea what hard work is

>only my job is hard work

0/10

This. Cooks act like their job is so hard but it's a joke and anyone who really knows hard work realizes it. There's a reason a plumber or contractor makes six or ten times more than you faggots.

how small are we talking?

>chef calls
>where are you?
>ohfuck i thought i was off
>oh wrong schedule have a good day man
>minor hearthattack

>he thinks you can't make excellent food unless you get paid for it

so, all hobbies are invalidated?

cooking is literally military work
>attracts the most degenerate fucks society has to offer
>individual skill invalidated, pay respects to move up the chain
>inflated egos over mostly cleaning and standing