Post your occupation

Veeky Forums, what do you do for work?

Freelance computer software coder here. No income from it currently. What should I do?
>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiler_room_(business)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am so unemployed and stupid I can't even get welfare money.

I grade standardized tests from home. It's $19/hr and mostly regular work, though I set my own hours for it.

I also do freelance editing/proofreading, which is far less regular, but I tend to hit ~$30/hr on it.

Are you having trouble finding clients or something, OP?

I work in a museum and teach kids about how sound waves travel and things of that nature

Wow, that actually sounds pretty nice. How'd you get into both of those?

It's more or less that. Maybe just the fact I have no idea where to look. Any places you recc, user? You seem like you're doing life correctly.

Photo/journalist, but currently working as a social media chief until we can find someone.

I'm a barista at Starbucks. Just moved to a big city and I've been applying to a ton of places but haven't got any calls yet. Life is suffering.

freelance (contract) technical writer here

>What should I do?

what have you done already?

I freelanced work for Sony. I did stuff for Bethesda Softworks, and Zenimax studios. My work is flawless, rarely have bugs or any error problems.

Any ideas?

The test stuff is for Educational Testing Service, they're hiring for some of the main tests right now. TOEFL pays most, SAT is like $15/hr. If you've got your BA and are in grad school, even if you don't have teaching experience, they'll still give you a chance (at least, they did for me).

I know a lot of small publishers, since I read a lot of small publishers. Occasionally I'll just shoot them an email and ask if they need any freelancers. I only do regular work for two, who both put out

Appreciate the advice user!

are you on linkedin? update your profile. do it now. don't be modest. make contacts
do you have your own limited company (or your country's equivalent)? if not, set one up.
do you have your own domain? get one. make a website. start a blog.
how many jobs websites have you searched? try some more.
what skills do you have? get better at them. find out what skills are in demand and learn them.
do you have time on your hands? write apps. get involved in open source projects.

>My work is flawless, rarely have bugs

your code has bugs. it's just that you haven't found them yet.

I work at Prometric FUCK off you neetfag, you're the worst.

OP here, appreciate the info. This is good advice.

In what way am I a NEET?

What's the process you go through when grading said tests? Could just about anyone do it?

Software Engineer

Anyone with sufficient critical thinking skills, I'm sure. But they do require the English/whichever degree regardless.

You're given a fairly precise rubric to use for each test, one for each type of question given on those tests. For example, with grade school ones, there might be a short answer one where you're mostly checking that they can pull a couple of examples from some longer informational texts and apply them to the question with some analysis. The rubric there might be basic--just making sure they chose the right examples and that they related them back to the question.

Then you'll have a long creative writing essay, a long persuasive one, etc. The rubric for those might focus on things like organization (adequate intro/conclusion, transitions, etc.) how well they elaborate/get creative and how good their grammar is. They might get multiple scores for different aspects, instead of just one.

That's for grade school stuff. For speaking/language tests it's different--the rubric might be based on things like adequacy of vocabulary and grammar, how well they answer the test question, how well they enunciate, etc. The rubrics for all of these are fairly well thought-out, and there's rarely confusion on where a paper/response would fall.

The process is that you read an essay/listen to a response, grade it, move on to the next. There's "calibration" in the mornings to make sure you're not retarded that day, basically a short quiz for accuracy. Kind of robotic, but comfortable imo. If there's trouble you can talk to supervisors and ask their opinion, you're never alone in it if you don't want to be.

Are degrees actually important?

Well, I say "mornings" but you can choose from a lot of different shifts, some start in the afternoon/evening. I like my 7:30-4:00 shift though. They even have some catered to people on the West coast, since all the times are EST.

For getting the job? Yes, it's a requirement. Most of them want you to have taught before, which also requires a degree.

For getting any job in a sense. Are there any coding jobs you can think of, that don't require any degree?

I have great experience, but no education other than high school degree. What do with life?

the government

I teach public philo in high school. It's a tedious but important job.

im an industrial ecologist... baww

This made me fucking cringe. Philo is a wated subject. It holds no purpose, in a world where science shits on your understanding.

I work in corporate finance and run a couple small businesses, mostly as a money-sink and for tax write-offs. I'm not what I would call rich, though my relatives would tell you I'm loaded. They ask me for money all the time, I've even had to excommunicate some... To be honest I have more money than I care for, but I can't stand beggars. I've been saving 10% of my income for years, split between several high-interest and investment savings accounts... I had initially planned to donate it to a few charities, but for the most part, they are schemers. So I might just retire early.

Oh, for computer science I wouldn't think so at all. My spouse is in that field, and nearly none of his friends have degrees. Hell, the most successful person I know dropped out of high school--but then again he dropped out because a company had already solicited his work.

Like the other user mentioned, are you doing collaborative projects? A lot of networking is involved, from what I've seen.

I don't really want to viral market, but there's a course by the successful drop-out friend I mentioned (breaker101.com), if you want to do web security stuff. I'm not sure if you're willing to do that if you're avoiding degrees, but I'm sure the job referral afterwards would be worth it on its own. He has a super wide network.

Landlord m-th, liquor store f-s

What was the point of this thread again?

If op didn't seem like a nice person I would report it

This is super inciting. You're a cool dude user. Thanks for all the help.

Freelance video media consultant.

Which is to say, I analyze films.

Which is to say, I do film students' assignments.

What wages does this pay? Sounds interesting.

Not much. They're students, they're poor.

Currently in the marketing stage of camming for money, and I'm certain that it will make a difference once I go live since it never can hurt to have a few followers beforehand if your income is dependent on them.

I've always found the sex industry fascinating. I plan to write a novel that will have my experiences (and others, too) merged into it.

Other than that, I've been doing nothing but various, unpaid intern work for the past four years and got sick of it.

The consistently poor writing skills of the people who think sexting is their calling will always make me feel better about my own storytelling, so there's a Veeky Forums plus.

>your code has bugs. it's just that you haven't found them yet.
>mfw some Linux distros claim that it is impossible to get viruses on their codes, sans phishing and other click-through scams
Really rustles my jimmies.

Was a server for a restaurant at one point, I know the pain. Try to take it easy, because if you get sick, you could lose your job if you don't come in. It's surprising how mentally, emotionally and physically demanding a job in the food chain business really is.. yet people see it as "easy" work.

Hang in there, user.

I work a tedious warehouse job!

Computer engineer here.

And Dracula is overrated.

I'm a data cuck but I might start applying for production editing jobs or civil service work. Wageslavery is hellish.

I work as a salesman. They don't pay, but who cares? I walk a lot and have never had a better body than I have right now

Post it.

Graduated HS last year, having a gap year NEETing to read and get into better shape this year, going into Uni to study International relations and law next year

>tfw do cold calling

I walked into 70 businesses and got my job after failing at trading stocks, failing=being mentally devastated and letting account run.

Now I just call potential clients for my boss, I dread it everytime i have to go in and the night before, i usually get an hour of sleep.

It's a lot of stress and pressure calling 150 people every time, I can start making 50-100k next year at 22 and then up to a miillion by 25-28 if i'm good at what i do but it's a lot to handle.

I hate wage slaving.

Special education teacher for children with autism.

I have pectus carinatum so you might not like it

Fuck. Being any kind of telephone salesman is one of the small handful of jobs that I will never, never do.

Also knew someone who couldn't get any sleep on the nights that he didn't make any sales, and lay awake at night wondering how he could improve the next day.
So sorry you have to put up with such a shit job. Hang in there.

>ruining your mind, body and soul for the sake of being financially wealthy

I have zero sympathy for you.

This. I'd really love to pull a Diogenes but I don't know if I have the mental strength

The whole idea of it is to build a sufficient enough client base for your boss that he lets you start building your own.

My boss's clients are on average earning 500k-5-10mil. So you can't get that overnight.

The cold calling stops after 6months to a year if you're good. 90% of people quit this industry after 3-4 years due to failing so i'm hoping to be in the 10%.

I never went to college so I don't have many other good choices. I don't expect sympathy though. life can suck.

Kek i appreciate it, I tell myself early retirement before 30 is worth it but you never know if you're gonna last that long.

It's a very interesting job cold calling though, I mean you do it so often and tell yourself everytime you'll be strong and shrug it off but mentally it really does you a number.

False dichotomy. You don't need to be an aspergic bum to live a meaningful life but toiling away and ruining yourself for the promise of great financial riches is just pathetic if that's your sole ambition.

neetu desu

I want to see that

You can pull a Diogenes light. It doesn't take much to rent a little room and put a mattress in it. Two changes of clothes, a bunch of rice, beans and vegetables and you're set.

There's a lot of simplicity and frugality to be gained short from actual homelessness.

I'm a chef, in spite of having an masters from Oxford University.

I just can't do office work,it makes me want to die.

This. Eggs, rice, and chicken can go a long way if you buy it in bulk. Even spaghetti works, but you won't be getting much nutrition from that.

Investment fund auditor. ~60k a year, with an annual performance bonus.

>Hey can't into workposting

What's your excuse, NEET's? I practically get paid to shitpost.

Nah man, I can't right now. Maybe later.

ICU nurse.
Not the hot female kind, sorry.

Doesn't visiting Veeky Forums feel like working for free?

I teach french, and sometimes babysit. Teaching as a personal teacher is really nice as a side job during your studies.

No just /tv/

I'm working on a diploma of dental hygiene. First year down, two to go. Since it's the summer, however, I work as a customer service representative for an airline. It's pretty great. I barely do anything and get paid slightly more than minimum wage.

>people don't understand it or respect it so it is bad

Architect

this

D E V O N
E
V
O
N

Freelance writer, Army reservist.
I literally just started freelancing and I've got a contract with a publishing house to do some simple bitch work but I want to try get as much work as I can and make a name for myself. End goal is working full time for a publisher with some freelancing on the side.

Sure.

I'm a medical doctor.

London senpai.

I hate to break it to you bro, but you're being scammed

Are you the guy who used to work in Truro?

Will you provide some free food if I hang around the alley behind your restaurant?

Curious of the corporate finance route OP. How do you find work life balance and pay is? That's a route I'm considering out of an MBA in finance for grad school

I work as a roughneck on a drilling rig.

Why are there so many wealthcucks on Veeky Forums?

Take this normie shit to Veeky Forums

I four pointed the semester and read 17 books while learning French
Not really the best example of "normie"
Also I watched my sister pursue the humanities and slave away with no money. It might be more rewarding but a plane ticket to Europe every year is even more rewarding. I see no reason to be poor when the things that make me happy -experiencing new cultures, having a comfortable life style, learning languages- all can be more frequent and more powerful with money.

Wow you sound awful. Absolutely disgraceful mentality. It's people like you that make me so glad to be NEET.

Burnt out of a phd program a few months ago. Drive for uber now.

You sound like a contemporary Travis Bickle?

What were you studying, and how does one "Burn out" of a pHd program?

high school history teacher

you sound like an absolute wanker

t. work at a hedge fund

lol what said. you work in a boiler room mate.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiler_room_(business)

"yea you can make a million at 25"

lmao. if the equity traders aren't making that much at 25, what makes you think you, a failed equity trader who has proven himself to be a retard, will make that much?

What hedge fund do you work for?

not gonna tell you

Why?

sorry that came off douchier than i thought LOL

i mean it as in "i don't want to doxx myself on Veeky Forums" the finance world is small and its not like hedge funds are huge anonymous megacompanies

Yeah, data cuck is that you?

I'd cook for a Veeky Forums bro for sure.

I'm a woman actually

Name one hedge fund manager who has gone on to write an interesting novel or poem. Just one.

Sure but there are still plenty of them and still a lot of people involved in fund management. I'm not the guy you're responding to, I'm just curious. I also work in FoHFs. Former Thybo, now working for Quam AM.

Yep data cuck here. How come you're back in London?

i dont think there is one? why?

in asia?

Yeah, China. I've worked for SMBC and Goldman Sachs/MUFJ AM divisions before, I'm used to live in Asia.

Mostly to see friends.

I'm going to travel again in July when my lease expires, maybe get a job in Canada.

Hope London's not getting you down too much.

nice what brought you on Veeky Forums? career/age wise you're definitely not the typical demographic

im at a ~2b aum l/s equity fund in nyc. im here on a short term basis - i work at a super boutique sell side firm with a very close relationship, and the needed someone ASAP to fill a vacancy and brought me on short term. i can transition to a full time role here but im not sure if i really want to. money's good but money isnt everything. idk if i really like finance that much.

London is as disgusting as anywhere else where a large population of human beings are forced to live within close proximity to one another. Luckily though I have at this point given up on living a happy life, or experiencing happiness in any consistent sense, which is something of a relief. The more detached I am allowed to be from the external world the more content I am, which I realize seems quite pathetic and does not seem conducive to a life of adventure and open-mindedness and empathy but I'm actually more capable of the latter if I'm not forced to actually be around the people I'm supposed to empathize with. I guess I've fallen for the career meme but really I'm not going to be able to stand this for much longer without either 1) decreasing the intensity of my self-awareness and sensitivity and ambition or 2) suffering a mental breakdown.

Are you planning to move to Canada without a guaranteed job in advance, or do you have family or something there? I thought they were pretty strict immigration-wise. And the same hope to you in return.

I would have gone for classical studies but my relatives told me it wasn't a good choice, so I keep it as a passion.

From my own experience, field is not as important as the team you're working with. A nice team can easily be a huge incentive to wake up in the morning and enjoy his work. Personally, I also like to travel and my position allows me to do so. It's stressful and I can't have a real family so I may as well quit in a couple of years and get a sweater job, maybe in a custodian bank or a meaningless division like independence.

Nothing, fucked up in life...right now I'm thinking about studying art on a open art college or working as a exterminator ...

How exactly did you fuck up in life?

I had a strong case of depression for over ten years(incl clinics, drug abuse...the usual stuff), so I've practically never finished high school and my resume is till today filled with gaps that sometimes go way over ten months, I have a GED equivalent though

Anyway, right now I'm practically homeless and looking for a job, mentally I'm way more stable than...ever and I know at least partially were I wanna be

Sorry, English is my third language, so I might sound a bit weird sometimes

No you're perfectly understandable. Which country are you from?

Where do you want to be?

Well thats a bit of a hard question...I'm born in Poland, technically socialized in Germany and the Netherlands, but I can't say that I have strong ties to Germany or Poland, right now I'm living back at my mothers place in Germany (I had no other place to go after a longer not so...perfect...stay in UK)

As a starting point: I just want to be happy, I found a strong interest in some forms of creative arts (film, sculpture, 3D art) and so on in the last years and was sometimes even able to sell something, so I'm honestly thinking about an art college (I know it sounds very naive, but don't worry, I well aware about the pros/cons, requirements, market situation, you name it) ...or like previously said: I wouldn't say no to a job as a exterminator (long story) xD

So...ehh...back to the question: "happy", and finally independent(man I'm getting 30 in awhile), probably living in the Netherlands again (my head wouldn't say no to northern america, but that's a different story), establishing a social life and so on

What went wrong in the UK? I worked with a lot of Polacks when I first moved here and many of them were really having a bad time financially.

Those are admirable ambitions man. Happiness is pretty tricky but I guess it's attainable if the fundamental aspects of your life bring you contentment. Good luck m8.