>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

First for gay, rape and incest

It was Elantris actually for some points.

DELET THIS!!!!!!

Can anyone recommend a book featuring bloody violence and eroticism?

Preferably devoid of sjw pandering.

Sword of Truth to a point. Lots of sex and rape as well as killing the fuck out of tons of people

DELETE THIS

Opinions on this? I was actually disappointed with the """"Goblins""""" and many other things but... I guess it's not bad.

Yeah, it's your archetypal "7/10 bretty gud".

>I managed very little sleep that night, and Losi came closer to killing me than Felurian ever had. She was a delightful partner, every bit as wonderful as Felurian had been.

>But how could that be? I hear you ask. How could any mortal woman compare with Felurian?

>It is easier to understand if you think of it in terms of music. Sometimes a man enjoys a symphony. Elsetimes he finds a jig more suited to his taste. The same holds true for lovemaking. One type is suited to the deep cushions of a twilight forest glade. Another comes quite naturally tangled in the sheets of narrow beds upstairs in inns. Each woman is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played, to have at last her own true music made.

>Some might take offense at this way of seeing things, not understanding how a trouper views his music. They might think I degrade women. They might consider me callous, or boorish, or crude.

>But those people do not understand love, or music, or me.

What did he mean by this?

Can someone recommend me a book where sci-fi is mixed with western? Something like the Firefly. Or maybe just good western?

I don't know what the world of Rothfuss' books is like but I doubt he really thought about whether a symphony would be possible there.

Haunted Mesa by Louis L'Amour
Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem
The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman
Dark Tower series by Stephen King

First for lists
every thread until it becomes a meme like wolfe and botns

>meme
At least some people actually like Wolfe (we've even got Absolute Aram), that's just your garden-variety shitty list.

>Haunted Mesa by Louis L'Amour
I enjoyed that, and I don't even like westerns.

We memeing now? I'll post mine again, since it confuses everyone and I regret my organizational choices :3
Try to figure out what I did wrong before posting.

he means he's a beta who has to break the 4th wall and have Kvothe explain directly to the SJW masses why Patrick isn't one of those Bad Whites and is actually a Good White.

I don't know, I'm not knowledgeable and haven't read anything on your list... are those still good books to read?

How could anyone read that shit?

t. permavirgin

We should do this every thread fellow list connoisseur, these plebians don't understand the work we put into making these lists.

They(the grandpas and "only read old fantasy) dismiss mine off the bat because i have women protagonist and urban fantasy on the list, even though the random area has a shit load of goodies.

I wil finish this list one of these days.

Holy cringe... why do people recommend this guy again?

>women protagonist and urban fantasy
These things can be good though. Your list is shit because you've picked poor examples of them, and more than half of it is just crammed into "random" with no rhyme or reason.

I feel bad because I actually do like urban fantasy sometimes. Meany.

What does random mean?

I was going to make a meme list. It was going to have all the questions most frequently asked, but my autism wasn't up for the task, so i dumped everything in random.

If you run through random you will see it has recs cor the most frequently asked questions. I already got male/female urban fantasy and the gay, rape and incest down.

>They(the grandpas and "only read old fantasy) dismiss mine off the bat

Don't you have your own containment thread now? Stop shitting up the general.

Some of them. Pinata was supposed to mean that it was an intentionally mixed bag, but that may have been a poor choice of word.

>these plebians don't understand the work we put into making these lists.
Indeed, the OP should have another list category labeled /sffg/ Autism. There's two or three other lists floating around that should go there as well.
>I wil finish this list one of these days.
You have my support user! I predominantly read old sff though :3

Why is it that elitists have come in our general?

Fed up of circle jerking about dfw and the like?
Before this general when I posted in lit for fantasy recs for years yall shitted on me, told me to go to co, a and b.

Now all of a sudden you are posting old as fuck boring shit books, calling people plebs who disagree with you and are slowly shiting up our general like how you shitted up lit. Get out fagget.

>Why is it that elitists have come in our general?
You realize that Veeky Forums is entirely elitists, right? /sffg/ itself has always been a little elitist, too. It's pretty much always looked down on urban fantasy, at least.

I am sorry that some prefer the fine prose of Dunsany, Peake, and Wolfe to that of Sanderson, Butcher, and their contemporaries.

>the most boisterous is the majority

Okay, "we" all look down on urban fantasy.

Kek, do you hear yourself? How much more superiority complex can you get?

It is useful as a list of books to avoid.

How does one handle memory loss well in a story, specifically magic-induced?

>the grandpas

Is this a version of the
>ITS 2016
>CURRENT YEAR!!!

Putting work into something doesn't necessitate it being good.

There strikes me as being two possibilities that explain your list:
1. You haven't read that broadly in fantasy, and are just listing every single example of something that fits a given category with no regard as to whether the work is good or not: if it fits, you list it. This would mean you misunderstood the fact that a list here is meant to be curated, with only the best examples and works represented. If someone just wanted a list of every single urban fantasy book with a female protagonist they could go on goodreads and find a list with five hundred books.
2. You have read broadly, but just have extremely bad taste.

Of course, I'm being narrow-minded. You could have not read broadly AND have extremely bad taste.

In contrast, I like this list because it's just so strange and compiles a bunch of works no one would have heard of otherwise. By your own admission, though, you didn't like a couple of these (as I recall from an earlier thread), which is why I wouldn't favor putting it in the OP which people tend to use to get recommendations of what to read.

Is Memory, Sorrow and Thorn any good?

No. There are literal grandpas who post here. Oldest I saw was 55. Some college profs even post here.

In lit that is, not sffg, who knows maybe they do post in here.

If you want to discuss shitty new books just go to r/fantasy.

Read 600+ books all fantasy.

lol reading ont he computer

So, option 2. Glad that's settled.

I was here first(since 09) posting about fantasy, when everyone was riding brown bear's dick and shit posting ij.

I made my fantasy post then, and I will make them now. And there is nothing you can do about it.

Any more contemporary fantasy that tries to model itself on the form and style of old romances and epic poems?

Someone show me some modern, NON-EPIC fantasy with really good aesthetics. Please NON-EPIC only. I don't want any knights or bickering royals or dragons or middle-aged europe, NON-EPIC ONLY, and make it MODERN

>his list is on his computer
>therefore he reads "ont he computer"

Exactly. The whole point of Veeky Forums is the freedom to call out retarded plebians for their shit taste when necessary. On reddit, they would immediately shadow-ban you or some shit.

LOTR
ASOIAF

>Everyone who doesn't like only the books that I like is a plebean
>This entire genre or subgenre is shit because I don't like the books that are in it

pls no bully, I just just went through this shit on leddit and I'm too tired to deal with it

What would you suggest some for urban fantasy. That is a modern post 19th century world with shit like computers, reality tv and magic.

That list is the best of what I read that fits the bill, no one wants old dusty victorian novels labeled as "urban fantasy", I mean I guess you would suggest Little big or Jonathon strange and Mr Norrell wouldn't you?

I don't see Leiber or Vance on there... you should check them out if you haven't

>your taste is shit because I said it's shit

Karin Tidbeck

I heard that Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser build up a loli harem in their stories. Is this true?

Neverwhere by Gaiman and Charles de Lint's Newford stuff. Why is The Magicians listed as Urban Fantasy, when it almost all takes place in the magical academy and pseudo-Narnia? If you stretched the subgenre to include that then it would encompass Harry Potter too, which clearly doesn't fit.

>I mean I guess you would suggest Little big or Jonathon strange and Mr Norrell wouldn't you?
Also, while I agree that those aren't what people want when they're looking for urban fantasy, I don't know why you'd be so dismissive of them (at least that's how your post reads) when they're a sight better than many of the things on your list.

Says the tard who uses "grandpa" as an insult.

Nope. I think the mouser bangs a loli (in appearance) sea witch of some kind, can't remember the details.

Just looking at those urban fantasy covers you can tell they're designed so urban fantasy readers can spot them easily.

The last book is full of 'dainty breasts' and has a teen lesbian bondage scene, but it's a lot less enjoyable than the earlier stories.

>which is why I wouldn't favor putting it in the OP which people tend to use to get recommendations of what to read.
I guess I'm rather indiscriminate with what I choose to read, though I favor 60s-80s sff. Since my books are chosen fairly randomly, I thought it would be fun to have a list of meme/odd categories from which to try one's luck. Granted most will not want to gamble real money on books they might dislike. Much of my eclectic recent reading history is entirely due to finding a good local source of cheap sff books. Those with a well stocked library could benefit without the pain of uncertain expenditure.

I can't enjoy anything I read anymore. I just keep finding weird discomfort or boredom with everything I look and and I just put it down and never care again.

Did I fuck up? have I run out of fiction to enjoy because I'm so damn picky? Or did I just enjoy those things because I wasn't depressed when I read them?

How does one write sex and nudity into their fantasy story without being too pandering? I want to include more adult themes, but I also don't want to alienate readers or just come off as a horny single guy (even though I am)

Read high-quality erotic fiction like "A Sport and a Pastime" by James Salter, so you know how it's done.

Is the Zelazny 'Amber' book that starts with the amnesiac MC with a royal family that can travel through parallel dimensions?

Holy shit I have never encountered a drier, boring book in my whole fucking life. Worst fucking recommendation ever.

Dying earth was shit(at least the first book i read) I'm not touching Vance, Delany, Tolkien or Conan again. Fuck you.

They may be better "literary", but not fantastically, which is what people want.

Nothing faster to dissuade someone from reading, than to give them boring old books that rely on prose to get the story across.
Not everyone is an English major who prematurely ejaculates when they read deep prose.
You want someone to enjoy reading? Give them fun books and they will mature on their own.

I hope you are not one of "those" guys who is going to force their 5 year old children to "like" deep works, only ensure they dislike reading for the rest of their lives.

existential boredom =>>> do something with your life

Same answer when you asked this question 4 threads ago, get the fuck out.

My god you're unlikable. I bet people actively try to avoid interacting with you at your work/school/whatever.

This series is the best whether you want some Mary Sue wish fulfillment wanking or literal wanking.

I actually feel bad for this guy. His fans are obviously contributing to his mental illness.

Actually they like to sit on my lap at work and rub my chest, but I think that has to do with the fact I keep my mouth shut.

They think I'm a quirky chad, boy how I would ruin their perception if I open my mouth.

The girl that you would love, the girl that would love you, was put off by your false demeanor and you will never have the opportunity to see her again. Don't be too sad though, your life will forever be full of pleb sluts that you will talk nice to while thinking about how utterly dull and retarded they are. It's not a bad life.

I just want to feel again. 8(

Psychfag here. If you know that you have depression, it's very likely that is what's causing you to not enjoy your stories anymore. One of the signs of depression is a loss of enjoyment of previously enjoyable activities, as well as difficulty in caring about things. On that note, if you're not sure if you have depression, you might want to get that checked out.

Are you sure?

I think it's just because all the authors in the 21st century are just untalented hacks incapable of anything worthwhile.

>with really good aesthetics.
Are you some sort of faggot? Only homosexuals care about aesthetics above ethics.

>boredom
>never caring again
Not too sure, but it's a possibility. I'd have to know more to really be able to tell. Do you have a hard time enjoying things in general nowadays? Do you have much motivation to do relatively normal activities? Are you more tired than usual and/or has your sleep schedule been fucked recently?
Also, how long has it been since you stopped enjoying reading?

no, I'm just a raging autist whose mind floods with new ideas in response to imagined sensory input

>Nothing faster to dissuade someone from reading, than to give them boring old books that rely on prose to get the story across.
As opposed to verse?

I use prose in the sense that elitist use it. You masturbate to Tolkien's prose and call Sanderson's prose shit

Sometimes I get sick of 'immersive' fiction where you're supposed to pretend the narration is invisible. Switching to poetry or taking a break from reading for a while can help, as can finding something which asks more from the reader.

I can attest to this. I hate so many classics because they take an entire Goddam page to describe a person walking up a flight of stairs. I don't mind lengthy descriptions, and in certain cases, a complex, almost poetic description works wonderfully when describing certain scenes. But when it's been three pages pages and you aren't sure if the characters in a story even remotely exist, it's exhausting. Especially when a paragraph is actually just one, long, drawn-out sentence. Those descriptions have their place and most ideal uses, but when an author describes the mundane task of filling a glass of water as if it were the turning point of a man's life, it gets exhausting to read.
That said, it's fine to like it, but telling people they aren't refined and that their taste is shit because their attention span doesn't last a hundred years is snobbish and makes you a prude.

Not him but Sanderson's is pretty shit though.

Does Sanderson not "rely on prose to get the story across"? You don't seem to understand what the word "prose" means.

>snobbish
>prudes
inb4 wheredoyouthinkyouare.jpeg

You are conflating 'good prose' with 'ornate prose'. They have nothing to do with each other.

Did they mean for the cover of flight of the dragonfly to look like dick and balls??

Which is what was referring to, I had gathered. People going off on how books that exclusively use long, drawn out descriptions of a blank sheet of paper is somehow more superior to books that have "On the table rested an blank, white sheet of paper."

Some people who read a lot of epic fantasy find Sanderson dull, it's not just 'elitists'

Let's not make up stories about how words are used.

The notion that "elitists" misuse a common word is, by definition, an absurdity. The reality is that YOU are misusing the word, perhaps as a coping mechanism to deal with your own insecurities.

Prose is a form a of writing that lacks the metrical structure of verse. That's all it is. There is no value judgment inherent in use of the term.

When someone refers to one or more sentences of prose as "shit", he is suggesting that the quality of the writing exhibited in those sentences is of inferior quality, regardless of the ideas or content they express.

This really should not be a difficult concept to grasp for people with IQs above 76.

In Bands of Mourning, a guy falls from such a high distance that his body completely breaks, in a bloody mess.
The same guy fucks a not-human sentient creature.

>insecurities
>implying people can't use the word "prose" and mean "ornate prose" when complaining about people that whine about prose
>implying the people here complaining about "muh prose" /really/ judge prose in any form based on quality, instead of it not being ridiculously complex and overly complicated enough to sate their pretentious big-headedness
>Oh ho ho ho, you are but of simple mind, foolish user
>I can hear the dick in your mouth from here, holy shit
There's a reason people /only/ ever say "This prose is shit" but never actually offer a critique. It's always "This is shit because it's shit." Every so often you'll get someone making a strawman argument to defend why they think something is bad, but there's never any actual substance to their arguments. They're just complaining because "Oh, this isn't intellectually stimulating enough for so clever an individual such as I."

"old books that rely on prose to get the story across"
Do you even know what prose means?

Lengthy descriptions =! good prose.

If a book relies on a good plot to carry the story but has clunky prose, it's like a car crash, it's ugly but you can't look away because it's interesting.
On the other hand a book with good prose that may have a shit plot is like some 10/10 supermodel, she may not be very interesting but you can't look away because you're admiring her beauty.

Good prose just mean that the sentences are pleasant to read, it flows nicely/natural.

The problem is that people equate good prose with good overall quality. There's also the fact that people think good prose is anything that's long and drawn out.

It's because Sanderson's prose really is shit. If you had any kind of literary education (not to mention common sense) you would understand that.

And the reason Sanderson's prose is shit has nothing to do with the level of ornamentation or complexity. There are many fine prose stylists who write in a spare, lucid, elegant fashion - e.g., Evelyn Waugh, H. G. Wells, J. L. Borges, George Orwell, etc.

Just because you're unable to recognize clunky sentences doesn't mean they don't exist. You are like a tone deaf person who thinks the notion of "singing off key" is a myth promulgated by musical elitists.

>it's shit because if you knew it was shit you would know it was shit
Okay

>If you had any kind of literary education (not to mention common sense) you would understand that
Thanks for proving my point