Literally what is the point of "post-modern literary techniques" when Delillo can convey all those sentiments and...

Literally what is the point of "post-modern literary techniques" when Delillo can convey all those sentiments and themes in simple, non-meme language?

The book was garbage, friendo.

This is the kind of shit that gets laughed at by Pynchos. Short declarative sentences about fake disaffected New York life. Fuck off.

poolillo is poo my pooey friend

Seriously though, anyone read it yet? of course not...

what's up with all the 1 star reviews for underworld

>only taking in one part of the book.

7th grade reading comprehension detected.

I think I'll finish it tonight. I really like it, but it looses pace at the start of the last third.

One part? There's two parts: anxious NYer in NY & anxious NYer describing von Hagens bodies exihibit but lightly twisted to fit the futurist cryogenic live forever fantasy.

This was my first DeLillo & I was utterly embarrassed. It's minimalism without the heart of Ellis. No wonder Wallace liked him so much. Fucking tin people.

I read Bleeding Edge right before this & was brought to tears. This felt like a talented highschooler's best effort.

My guess is that this was a money grab.

You're seriously oversimplifying it but ok. nice opinion.

>bleeding edge
>tears

loooooooooooooool

I wouldn't say it's 1 star but it should get no more than 3. American Pastoral did the same thing way better with half the pagecount.

Explain the depths, then.

You didn't read it, clearly.

Why does this picture make me so uncomfortable. Uncanny valley ?

Goodnight tucker

It's from a rendering of a DMT elf.

Different guy here, I read it, what brought you to tears?

Wow d00d how incisive you sure put frauds like that pesky Harold Bloom to shame

The descriptions of DeepArcher. Especially the 9/11 shit.

Serious question, what, if any, are your experiences with hallucinogens?

I take them very seriously.

Alright Terence

Aren't you, like, not supposed to, like, verbalize your experience, man?

I could see you crying at a mid-tier Pynchon novel. Have you read Gravity's Rainbow?

I have read all of Pynchon's books and every other Delillo book. I have also read all of Ellis' books, and all of Wallace's, for that matter. My take is Delillo>Pynchon>Ellis>Wallace. With the exception of Wallace, I read each author in sequential order. I think that might be of assistance to you with Delillo. I don't know if this one is far worse than everything else that he wrote before, so I can't defend it yet, but Delillo is very worth reading, and he did his best work in the 70's.

I have also read all of Roth's books. Roth reaches higher peaks than Delillo, but Delillo has a far better batting average. AP isn't even the best of the American/(2ndZuckerman Trilogy). It bears minimal resemblance to Underworld, which is a far better work. If you want to read god teir Roth, read Sabbath's Theater or Operation Shylock.

Yes, fuckface. Mid-tier? How old are you?

I liked American Pastoral almost as much as Sabbath's Theater and more than I Married a Communist and The Human Stain. They're all great, though, and so is Operation Shylock.

>I read Bleeding Edge right before this & was brought to tears.

No you weren't.

Pynchon has great ideas but not great writing.

when does underworld stop being boring? I'm a quarter of the way through but whenever I open it I can't wait to close it again. The only bit I've enjoyed so far are the chapters on Manx Martin and that nun.

>tfw pynchonposter has ousted himself as a hack
At least we still have Hawkes- and Gassposter.

its a page turner to anyone who isn't a pleb

You know there's a whole chapter in Underworld where J. Edgard Hoover goes to a masked party, right?

Zero K was weak. Pointless and mediocre DeLillo. The style is there, but he's just treading water at this point. All that shit about the violence on the silent televisions, naming people, cults, extreme sparse environments, etc.

Very few good sentences/paragraphs. I did like this one though:

>She wanted the paper napkin untouched. She was substituting paper for cloth and then judging the paper to be indistinguishable from cloth. I told myself there would eventually be a lineage, a scheme of direct descent—cloth napkins, paper napkins, paper towels, facial tissues, sneeze tissues, toilet tissues, then down into the garbage for scraps of reusable plastic packaging minus the day-glo price stickers, which she’d already removed and crumpled.

Identity or lack thereof was one theme I took away from ZeroK. The characters dont know who they are without an external world and what they've done i it. MC is an ocd bordering on autism and he wonders if that's what he is besides his talent for numbers and words. Rich old dude cant let go of his rich old dudeness and when he does he's just a shell of a man. Dying woman knows that identity lies within small moments and she's giving them up by turning into a popsicle. The constant naming might also have something to do with identity. The themes of violence and modern life are treaded water for DeLillo and at this point, they are staples of his writing.

There isn't a single quote from this book that isn't completely laughable.

Seriously, try it.

>"Faith based technology. that's what it is. Another god. Not so different it turns out, from some of the earlier ones. Except it's real, it's true. it delivers."
>"Life after death."
>"Eventually, yes."
>"The Convergence." (name of the facility)
>"Yes."
>There's meaning in mathematics."
>There's meaning in biology. there's meaning in psychology. Let it rest."

I like it. It's deliberate and DeLillo shuts himself up before some big meaningful explanation.

all them pages and you chose a list?

Delillo is incapable of big, meaningful explanations.

Cringe fest.

What do you like of Ellis?

It's not a list, it's a crescendo.

>cringe

stop parroting shit you fucking redditor

the whole book really was a cringe festival... I went in with an open mind and I'm willing to see the light, if anyone can show me... pick a quote any quote...

is that how you define the merit of a book, by how quotable it is? Fucking die and spare us from your 2 page suicidal essay that took you two weeks of quote copy pasting from goodreads.

just finished White Noise, what to read next?

Mso II then Underworld. You can stop there.

have you read a lot of Delillo? I've got a copy of underworld on hold. What makes you think I should stop after those?

explain non-meme language and meme language, please.

It's a dazzling, phosphorescent work of art.

Delillo doesn't use gimmicks.

a tour de force piece of post

"Just Read it." - the New York Times

Read Libra and Ratner's star as well user, don't listen to that other guy

Have you read a single one of his books?

No but that doesnt mean I dont know his writing.

That picture looks like a banana face in the thumbnail. The person's left eye looks like the banana's right eye and the right hand half of its looks like a moustache. Fucking pynchonposters

that's exactly what it means

I wonder what DeLillo would say if he knew we were calling him "based." I wish we could all go to his house and hoist him up on a sofa like a king and chant "Based DeLillo!" while he smiled sheepishly like, "What can I do? They want to celebrate me, I can't stop them." Then at night the atmosphere would shift from a celebratory revel to a something more serious and subdued as the joints come out and we urge DeLillo to partake and after a little cajoling he finally does and says, "I haven't done this in a long time." And somebody would say, "It's a good a time to start back up as any," and DeLillo would nod and then cough and try to say "True that" through the coughing. "C'mon Don, you can't take those big '70s hits anymore, you're an old man, and plus this shit is more powerful!" Then we'd ask him if he's feeling it yet, and he'd say "Oh yeah, you guys weren't kidding, this is powerful stuff, not like when I was young." And we'd start asking him what he meant in this book, what he was trying to say when he said that, and so on, and he'd smile and shake his head and say, "It was so long ago, and now you've got me high, I can't remember, I'm sorry!" OK, OK, then, we'd say, we'll give you a break. Sorry. We know you're high. Maybe when you come down a bit. Then somebody would shout, "DeLillo did 9/11!" and people would get annoyed and shout at him to shut up and somebody would say, "Who is that? Who brought that asshole?" And when it got late, and we began to feel like we were overstaying our welcome, I would corner DeLillo and say, "Hey, listen, I feel like I'm having a panic attack, or something, and I can't go outdoors, something's wrong with me. Is it cool if I crash here? I won't tell anybody." And he'd say Fine, fine (still high as hell), and I'd say, "Thank you, based DeLillo," and as I lay awake in the guest room in the dark I would try to think of really smart and insightful questions to ask him over breakfast, which I would have ready for him when he awoke.

Goodnight tucker

write it into a short story fagboi

A shining and heartbreaking novel.

a tour day force

James Franco calls it... "I can film that!"

The whole book was a meme. Disaffected New Yorker who works an undefined finance job has a What Does It Mean relationship with hist parents. He also smokes cigarettes and likes women. And he visits the Bodies Exhibit but pretends it's a cryogenic futurist Tarkovskyesque paradise.

Not deep, not interesting, not new.

>Disaffected

you dont know what that word means and you either did not understand the lot or did not read it at all and skimmed a synopsis.

Explain, wise one.

you didn't read it

you scared people will read it?

Let's play a game. Ask a question that only someone who read it can answer.

Or/and accept that it's sub par and you really can't prove otherwise.

Define 'thinking for yourself'. Define 'supporting your claims'.