Just finished this and really enjoyed it. Any other books like this?

Just finished this and really enjoyed it. Any other books like this?

Stop enjoying things.

Dazai's The Setting Sun is even better. I would go for that. Or Soseki's Kokoro.

sound advice. thanks, user.

those are actually in my amazon cart right now I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think I will now, though.

>really enjoyed it
Then you've misssed the point.

is the central theme of the novel not that everything passes I mean he says himself
"that is the one and only thing I have thought resembled a truth in the society of human beings where I have dwelled up to now as in a burning hell. Everything passes."
I thought for such a dark and depressing novel, this was actually a very peaceful and almost optimistic sentiment to end the novel on, so therefore, I enjoyed it.

He commited suicide along with his gf.

>optimism
>No Longer Human
aight

I realize Dezai killed himself. But after enduring all the suffering the character did, was it not an at least somewhat peaceful or satisfying close for the character to state that the only truth is that everything passes?

That's not the only truth in the world.
But I think I get it, it was too overwhelming for you and you'd rather focus on the happy things.

??
"the one and only thing I have thought resembled a truth in the society of human beings where I have dwelled up to now as in a burning hell. Everything passes."
i'm just analyzing the text man.

Everything Passes = Death

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is also about a cynical protagonist who struggles with Aspergers.

It's ok dude, he's just being an asshole. Does the book is somewhat nihilistic? Is it depressing just like Notes from The Underground?

Dostoevsky is basically saying "here's an essay about why this guy is fucked up, now watch him in act it out", Dazai puts no solution forth and simple muddles along increasingly depressed until he offs himself. One is actually useful for your life, the other is a big high five for muh depression kids.

Dazai's schoolgirl is better imo

In other words, you can't take lessons from an acted out life, but need it in an essay form before you find it useful.

No, there is no point to Dazai. He really killed himself. Reading a book about a guy killing himself written by a guy who killed himself shortly after is not a terribly great way to add something to your life or thought process.

I suppose if you wanted to put in the effort of finding Dazai's mistaken assumptions that led him to the most cowardly act a human being can commit, knock yourself out. The book lacks depth as, in the end, it comes down to "I killed myself; here's why"

>Dazai's mistaken assumptions that led him to the most cowardly act a human being can commit, knock yourself out
also persuading a woman who loved him to die together

>the most cowardly act a human being can commit
Well, he doesn't see himself as a human being.
And what mistaken assumptions? He was clearly suffering from PTSD, damaging him as a child, and setting him on a path of horrible decision after horrible decision. Man's ultimate freedom is choosing whether to live or to die, so I don't know why it would be necessarily cowardly to opt for the latter.

Also, Setting Sun is better then either NLH or Schoolgirl.

Hey if you think there is beauty in suicide, have at it. I found more philosophical meat in Schoolgirl, Akutagawa's Jigokuhen, and Notes from the Underground. No Longer Human is still well-known and read in Japan so clearly it's good; but I find nothing beautiful or liberating in suicide so it offers little for me.

I agree on Setting Sun, I also like his early short stories which are simultaneously dark and humorous ( I don't think there's a translation of 恥 (haji embarrassment or shame) yet, but that was a great read.

Once again, if I'm going to watch someone's life degenerate, I'd rather do it with some sort of point or deeper message. Most people who have had depression at some point have more than enough voices in their head telling them everything is horrible and pointless without adding on in book or music form.

the burned map, the man in a box...

>Schoolgirl

Oh fuck off, it's shit. You only like it because it's short and obscure.

Read it after someone compared it to oyasumi punpun. Is he literally autistic? All he seemed to do was be an inept piece of shit and bum money off of people. I didn't hate it, just a bit disappointing.

>Is he literally autistic?
No, your buzzword doesn't apply to everything

>Perhaps he was mentally deficient
hurrrr am i lit yet guise/?

I didn't really like it (srry).

and about a schoolgirl!

Just read more Dazai. Specifically, the short stories Schoolgirl, Villon's Wife, The Sound of Hammering

This book is My Twisted World-tier but for some reason it's taken seriously.