What was the deal with the ending? The story literally just stops. Am I missing something?

What was the deal with the ending? The story literally just stops. Am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

turn to the first page

Emotive arc >>> narrative arc
Also the story is finished, you can read about it online - although it's mostly theories and they are very speculative.

Big Dave always liked to leave people hanging.

I like what you're doing user, don't stop.

you're really just beating a dead horse now, user

2soon

The book isn't in chronological order. The last chapter is one of the first chronologically.

It's like life. You're going along fine, them bam, death just hits you. (I haven't read the book, btw.)

Reread Hamlet and the first 50 pages. Why would a book have a title referencing the most famous part of Shakespeare? Why would there be references to Hamlet all over the book. It probably didn't mean anything to you at the time but you've already read the "real"® ending but it was a thousand pages ago.

>The story literally just stops

Is a metaphor for life. It, too, just stops and you're left hanging there.

Idk I thought the explanation here

aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend

was pretty comprehensive. DFW himself said that the ending of the story is implied, so the pieces must be there for the reader to figure out... Whether or not anybody is going put in the meticulous amount of work to figure it out? Idk, I didn't. Personally I thought the way in which he ended the book was a nice artistic challenge for him, leaving a puzzle with only exactly the right amount of information to piece together, but as a reader I felt a little cheated.

That's Sopranos you twat.

Isn't it crazy that the reddit kid who hung himself wrote one of the better Infinite Jest resources on the interwebs?

Spent $100 on a first edition signed copy of this and the story just stops mid sentence. wtf.

>reading a signed copy
Do people really do this?

I have no knowledge of this. He hung himself? Was it after Wallace did?

He downloaded all JSTOR papers to publish them, cumulative penality $1 million, 35 years in prison, so he hung himself.

He was also one of the early guys behind reddit and involved in several other open source things, notably Markdown, and a bunch of online activism.

It was a huge thing 3 years ago, there's even a documentary about him: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz

That's crazy, I guess I did hear something about that but never really paid much attention. It's kind of absurd that he'd get penalized that heavily, but they did offer him a plea for 6 months in federal prison. Honestly, it would've sucked but I'd have taken the plea. There must've been other factors though.

thanks, that link was very helpful

>"ha ha I like to confuse people and make stupid novels about nonsense shit! I am a master of literature!"

Literal meme

epic bait