Do you read any contemporary authors?

Do you read any contemporary authors?

Also:
John Green
Cormac McCarthy
that Asian-american meme writer everyone hates here
--- they are exempt from this conversation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ggJea4CIltE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Corncob McCarthy is good.

Pinecone

Donald Ray Pollock

J. M. Coetzee.

This is good

As for myself:
Antonio Moresco, though he said he doesn't want to write anymore

Blake Butler

Gary Shipley

Matthew Stokoe

Reza Negarestani

A few others I guess, but I don't read them in the sense of actively looking for their stuff, I just happen to have a book they've written lying around. Grace Kirilnovic, for example.

I'd like to read more contemporary authors but I don't run in literati circles and don't have time to read or follow every lit journal/magazine out there.

>Antonio Moresco
nice taste user

I think Ben Lerner has the potential to write a great novel but the two he's put out so far are only fairly good.

Jon Fosse

Laurie Halse Anderson

Ma Jian

WT Vollmann
Also JM Coetzee
Denis Johnson
Yoko Ogawa
Helen DeWitt
Jim Crace
Jeffrey Eugenides

I bought Scorch Atlas by Blake Butler because I had heard that his website got shut down by SJWs. It was pretty well written I guess but the subject matter freaked me out. What are his other books like?

His other books are - let's say, similarly written as far as style is concerned, and the subject matter, while varied, remains homogeneously weird and somewhat unsettling. I'd recommend There Is No Year and Three Hundred Million, if you liked his writing. Gary Shipley is also a valid author, in the same non-genre.

>Ben Lerner

I think he's a wannabe, but he's still young and I appreciate where he came from and his work ethic so I haven't ruled him out entirely.

without tryna meme, i read slavoj zizek

Those look interesting, thanks.

Haruki Murakami
Brandon Sanderson

why is McCarthy exempt?

Marlon James is actually great you guys.

I've read Gass and McElroy and Pynchon, if they count. As far as I know, most of the contemporary authors worth reading are really old.

Victor Pelevin
David Mitchell
Jonathan Franzen

In translation or in meme-norwegian?

Yann Martel

Saunders
Pelevin
Pynchon
Delillo
Munro
Roth

Has anyone here read Daniel Kehlmann? I picked up F without knowing a thing about him or the book and thought it was pretty good.

first time posting on here so i don't know the memes
hopefully the meme guy isn't Khaled Hosseini

i like him

*tips fedora*

>Khaled Hosseini
>i like him

K E K
E K E
K E K

Good lord he is a terrible author. Please be b8

Who is the Asian-American meme writer?

Those are mainstream authors

It's supposed to be Tao Lin.
But yeah, we hate Khaled Hosseini, too.

Krasznahorkai
Thomas Bernhard (is he even still alive?)
a bunch of meme MFA female writers, not recommended at all

>ctrl + f "ishiguro"
>0 of 0

wew

I was going to say Robert Ludlum but then realised he has been dead for 15 years, so no.

Best living author

Nick Lad
Ulillillia
Graham Harman
Pentti Linkola
Tomislav Sunić
Kevin MacDonald
Anonymous

I really don't see the application fo the fedora meme, here.

Bernhard has been dead for a while

Kevin MacDonald is my favorite Kid in the Hall along with Dave Foley.

>Ulillillia

Is there some merit to it or is it just the novelty of reading the ramblings of a cripplingly OCD shut in?

It's certainly sui generis, and there's a lot of unintentional humor in it. If that constitutes merit to you, then check it out.

Benjamin Hale. I'm looking forward to the Fat Artist, and Evolution of Bruno Littlemore is my favorite book of all time.

He's an absolute M A D M A N

exemplary cool as well.
youtu.be/ggJea4CIltE

I found out about this guy while browsing a list on Wikipedia of several hundred contemporary authors and then randomly clicking his name. Bruno Littlemore seems kind of silly.

Oh cool, I didn't know he was vegetarian.

Joshua Cohen. He is the James Joyce of our age.

no one posted evan dara yet....shame

He's really fast at extremely basic multiplication.

sup evan

It's great. It's basically about the meaning of being human, told through a monkey who learns to speak. He's kind of an arrogant pseudointellectual dickhead that's prone to violent outbursts, but that's what makes him so special.

No.

something like heart of a dog?

>heart of a dog
I've never read it, but I guess I should as this is the second time someone's brought it up when I've brought up Bruno Littlemore. Is it as good as Master and Margarita?

it's... different, definitely not bad

personally i like his white guard more (it also has some pretty unsympathetic pictures of the ukrainian nationalism of 20ss), master is his probably best work overall

>of 20ss
sorry, it's set in 1918 so of 10ss