Does anyone else feel awful because they went to a university lower ranked than they were capable of...

Does anyone else feel awful because they went to a university lower ranked than they were capable of? I had the grades for any university in my country but went to my local one, which is ranked from 130 to 160 in the world, I think.

Even though I have lmao0debt I feel like it was such a fucking waste of time. Compared to the best universities, the courses covered much less content (to give a slight indication, it barely touched linear algebra (eigenwhat?), vector calculus (what do dev, grad, and curl mean?), and no doubt other stuff). I once heard a girl say that only weird people went to the library (i.e. the university is filled with people who wouldn't have gone to uni 30 years ago). I would literally rather be surrounded by people from Eton instead of this (not that I dislike posh people but I'd rather be with smart people I have nothing else in common with than regular people).

My degree was also a waste of time because even though it was a "respected" STEM degree, I realised that all undergrad degrees except for mathematics or physics are a huge waste of time. An engineering degree is just basic maths and physics courses along with engineering stamp collecting bullshit I.e. brain-dead corporate cuckoldry training. How embarrassing. This makes me look worse than humanities majors. Engineering majors are intellectually superfluous and corporate cucks. Humanities / arts people are only the first one. I remember that people would wear formal shirts and trousers when giving presentations and I found it fucking awful. How can people see this as anything but cuckworthy?

Also I went to university in not-England and did an integrated masters (common for engineering) which means my degree which meant my degree was 5 years!!!!!!!!!! Holy Jesus, people who went to university at the same time as me could be one year in to PhD stuff right now while my potential was flushed down the fucking toilet.

I don't really care. I own a cat jewelry business that gives me about $300k a year. I live a pretty comfy life and read all the shit I want

no i'm just happy i got any education at all and i don't have any debts.

Yeah, I went to Brown. Really should have buckled down harder and gotten into Harvard, but oh well, I guess I'll just survive as a mediocrity.

non americanfag reporting in, how hard is it to get into a ivy league uni?

is it worth it?

>how hard is it to get into a ivy league uni?
Really god damn hard and harder if you aren't from the states. Losers are gonna chime in that Ivies are 100% retarded brown trannies and children of donors but that's really not the case. Like 60% of most of them are hyper-competitive Asian kids who also went to elite high schools.

>is it worth it?
Amazing institutional support, corporate recruiting, faculty and peers. They pretty much all have strong financial aid so the money isn't a huge issue for those who get in. Yeah, it's worth it. They're just universities with a lot of money, tradition and the power to bring in top people, and those people are what make a school.

time to kill myself

Is Duke a good school or should I just go to my state school and save my parents the 240k?

Fuck yes it's a good school. What are you studying?

A: assuming you haven't applied yet, apply anyway and see what kind of financial aid and scholarships you get before deciding, or even if you get in.

B: Yes, it's a good school. If you want to work in high-end finance, consulting, medicine, and law, Duke will give you a leg up over pretty much all state schools.

i had a zero percent chance of going to an ivy as an undergrad. literally zero. i went to state school, got my free A's and was accepted (with scholarship) to one of the better ivies for grad school.

dont fall for the memes, where you do undergrad doesnt matter in the way people think it does. state schools have better facilities for stem majors, and give free A's in humanities and social sciences to anyone with a hint of talent or drive. its a great choice for most people.

I went to a mediocre school because I don't want to work hard or improve the world. In order to get into a good school, you have to be a spookmaster turbopleb.

Likely compsci or something else that ostensibly pays well, though I'm not too sure since tech isn't on 's list

Would also probably get an English or philosophy degree or something for the hell of it

>state schools have better facilities for stem majors
He says, out of his ass.

>where you do undergrad doesnt matter in the way people think it does
There are companies that literally only hire from those schools, and others put more effort into recruiting from them. If you start somewhere else and go into careers where that's the case you're playing catchup ball. You're not totally fucked, but it obviously mattered where you went or you might be working at McKenzie right now and having them pay for your grad school.

>I went to a mediocre school because I don't want to work hard or improve the world. In order to get into a good school, you have to be a spookmaster turbopleb.
You literally just have to stay on top of piss-easy high school work while other people are dicking around, not be too retarded or drunk when you take the SAT and be good at at least one other thing and you'll probably get into at least a top 30. Just lie in your essays, which should be easy as pie if you're spook-free.

>Go to a top 5 American university.
>See my profs mentioned in random contexts on wikipedia and such.
>Profs talk about knowing Nobel winners.
>Favorite study spot 50 feet from Martha Nussbaum's office.

Feels good.

The list has been revised to include tech. There's an old saying, "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM," which means that recruiters still feel safer hiring from prestigious schools.

I go to Brown too m8. I flunked my senior year in High School and went to a CC for one year before transferring over. I'm pissed at myself because if I didn't pull an angst episode my senior year I probably could have done better. Still I suppose Brown isn't that bad. Big name and a single digit acceptance rate.

I was trolling T B H. Brown is a great school.

Yeah but I kind of hate it desu. I have no friends because I'm a social autist and I feel trapped because I'm from Rhode Island and I don't feel like I accomplished anything by being here. Combine all that with my major inferiority complex and you have the makings of a disaster. I really need to get my shit together senpai.

>tfw you never went to any college

my brain could literally heem anyone here

Go do Taiko drumming. Right now. Go out and join that club. I know so many people who did taiko at Brown and have this huge weird network of drummers all over the place now.

I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual environment. I was all set for a Russell Group humanities BA and a life working as an insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier.

I really should, I tried kendo but I didn't stick with it. And taiko sounds cool but I've never played an instrument before. Can I really do it user?

Does university rankings are completely shitty and say not much.
For example, the quality of most German universities (or which are are 20, say) are very close together and generally are all the non-English speaking university totally underranked in those top 100 lists.

Yes, you can really do it. I think they have some sort of clinic/open house type things where noobs can get into it and then there are tryouts to actually perform on stage and travel and stuff.

Drumming isn't much like playing piano or something like that.

Okay I'll look into it. Its finals right now though so I'll probably have to wait till next year.

>Tfw you are a post grad at a top 10 uni

Gets me every time but I'm sure there's a bit missing

>go to college to leech his professors' fame
>courses are professors talking about their life instead of teaching

>he thinks university lectures are a race to copy down the professor's every word of information that can't be found anywhere else like it's the fucking 1300s
Learning takes place between lectures, office hours, recitations and homework. Good profs often throw in anecdotes to keep things lively.

I feel awful for going to university at all instead of learning a trade 2bh

Feels real gay

Why not treat university like a trade school and go for engineering, comp sci, premed or pre-law if that's how you feel then?

surely that if your professor saw a nobel laureate he sapped a bit of their inner power and while he is teaching you, you get a trace of the trace of the nobel winner's intelligence

that's like new paganism

>what is networking
>what is admiring accomplished people in your field
You couldn't be more prole if you tried. Go back to posting bible verses superimposed over sunrises on Facebook.

But I did.

But then I realized that it will all be outsourced to indians in the cloud or whatever, and then eventually robots before all of the west falls and is cleansed in the glorious fires of ethnic conflict and neo-tribalism, so it would have been much better for me to have learned to do something with my hands.

I've been learning how to hunt and farm recently.

I honestly can't understand the fuss. It makes sense to pursue his education there because they have enough money, connection and fame to allow you to study on whatever you want and get published easier, not to start them. A lot of European colleges with no recognition produced Nobel prizes and Fields medal winners before they were seduced by American ones. Harvard, Yale and the other elite universities are stealing the other colleges. All they have to do is waiting the student to be properly educated then luring him with money, publishing possibilities, high-end infrastructure and world class “professors” who actually are better researchers than instructors. The undergraduate program is a joke, and that's why they are rocketing in the Shanghai list. It doesn't take in account the right variables.

Pleb confirmed.

>>what is networking
yet another proof that humans descended from apes

mew

Whatever you like is also linked to our descent from apes.

idgaf about the rankings, the fact that I'm Uni and at least certain to get a Bachelor's Degree already makes me one of the most accomplished in my family.

Trade it for basic grammar skills.

Don't worry I go to Princeton and I'm probably going to kill myself in a few months tbqhwy.

pham it's late I've already done 3 tests worth of essay writing, im just shitposting while I cook my tikka masala

>tikka masala
ma nigga that shit's delicious

going to edinburgh next year

did i do good?

>tfw you transferred from a community college and are almost certainly at a University ranked higher than you're capable of

feels good man

>a university lower ranked than they were capable of

the rank of the uni which you can get solely depends on your money

>you might be working at McKenzie right now

>this is what poorfags actually believe
What an amazing coincidence that all those kids were not only the richest in their class but also had the best grades and highest SAT scores while being elite athletes and math Olympiad competitors.