Any Latin experts out there? I want to know how to say "dead" in latin — just the one word...

Any Latin experts out there? I want to know how to say "dead" in latin — just the one word, no other words for context. The word would relate to a person, however, as in "this person is dead". Specifically, I'm writing a story and I need someone to write next to a list of names if they're dead or not like:

James
Alex — dead
Brandon
whothefuckever — dead

like that. Fucking Latin and its context shit

Other urls found in this thread:

mymemory.translated.net/en/English/Latin/this-person-is-dead
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mors I think

that sounds about right.

is "memento mori" italian or latin?

That's what I thought, then I typed in this

mymemory.translated.net/en/English/Latin/this-person-is-dead

came up with mortus. is this site legit or dumb?

Mors is the noun for death, mortuus (uu!) is both an adjective for being dead and noun for a deceased or corpse. It derives from morior, the verb for dying. In your context you should use mortuus.

if i remember correctly the adjective form is mortellus, derived from morianus, but obvisouly you don't know what youre talking about pleb

I don't think you remember correctly.

Mors is "death" as in the concept of being "dead" and is not the word dead itself. Going to sound like a dumb ass here but do you mean dead as an adjective or even a noun? Because "dead" as an adverb is the act of being dead which is two words: mortuus est.

There isn't a single word for it. I can see why you're having trouble.

my guess:
whothefuckever is dead = whothefuckever mortuus est.

Only right answer in this thread

t. five years of Latin in highschool

I don't think you'd have to write down "est" in a list like that. It's probably also not going to be cool sounding enough for OPs mystery thriller.

But really, you kind of have to if you want to be grammatically correct - as you said though, maybe OP doesn't really want to go for that.

just like you don't really need to write is in the phrase alex is dead, alex dead is surely sufficient :^) sorry i meant alex dead surely sufficient

To be honest he has a point, since OP's writing a list. Still, I think the full form is better.

instead of saying he's dead
he could write "that nigga stopped living"
I understand if you want to sell vampire books they got to sound cool.

"that nigga vivio nullus" = That Nigga stopped living

As far as I'm aware, it then become a participle, literally meaning "having died," on it's own.

Latin is a DEAD language.

Cathloics BTFO

Solid dad humor

>tfw 4 years but barely remember anything

You want the adjective mortuus/mortua.

You don't need the "est," you can use it as an adjective. (Actually a participle , a verbal adjective from morior)

As in "the dead man speaks" -- Vir mortuus dicit

Alex, et mortuus est. = Alex, having died.
Alex est moriuntur. = Alex, is dying.
Moriuntur est Alex. = Death is Alex.
Mors et moriuntur est mortuus. = Death and dying is dead.

how did romans make lists of soldiers marking who was dead anyway... i bet they simply used a some kind of check mark if they even bothered with such stuff

You mean like this:
>Alex — dead
Seems sufficient in English.