Bookshelf thread? bookshelf thread

bookshelf thread? bookshelf thread.

show off your collections and post what you got!

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BEwBw5WLK2l/?taken-by=haileybentongates
imgur.com/a/WzjJ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

protip OP

This would have taken off better if you'd actually posted your bookshelf to start it.

Been out of town for 3 weeks. This has been my bookshelf away from home.

Fuck yeah Dead Souls, Gogol's short stories are fire too.

Is cattulus worth reading? As in, is he a better source than livy or any other writer on the subject.

Honestly I haven't been able to really get into it. I'm about halfway through (near the end of volume 1, still have no idea what the souls are for) and it's made me laugh a few times bit just hasn't drawn me in.

I might not have properly committed attention to it.

oops i meant cassius my bad.

fug
1/4

The subject of what? Catullus and Livy are worlds apart. I love Livy and would absolutely recommend all of his books if you want to read some Roman history, but Catullus isn't even nearly the same. Crude, angry, and funny comments unlike anything you'll see in Roman prose. Livy praises immortal deeds; Catullus calls his boss a little shit and yells at people for being stupid dicks. I can't read Latin and so am unable to comment on the Oxford translation, but the poetry hasn't been nearly as rich as I expected, even though it has its moments. Considering Catullus' reputation, I would hope that either the translation isn't great or I'm just being plebby with my nonexistent poetry experience.

2/4

3/4

4/4
legos

Started collecting about 6 months ago, sorry for the shitty camera

Just need Hemingway and Faulkner .

2/3

I hope you enjoy your new interest in collecting books. It's a very fulfilling thing to pursue.

Don't listen to any user too ready to shit on you - you'll build your own taste in time.

3/3

Woops just saw this .

Depends on how deep you want to go and what period you want to study. Livy has one of only two major, continuous accounts of early Rome (monarchy and Republic until the Punic wars), but drops off at 167 BC. Dio exists only in fragments until about 70BC but then provides one of the only continuous narratives of the post-Sullan turmoil of the 1st century BC and the subsequent Augustan age.

Probably not worth reading all of Dio unless you're a bit of a completionist. Not much new info for time periods covered by other writers (Livy for early Rome/2nd punic war/antiochus; Polybius for broader punic war overview; Appian for more detail on the 3rd punic war, Mithridatic wars, other minor wars), but it's not all repeated material: Dio has the most comprehensive account I've read so far of Pompey before the civil war, of Crassus in Parthia, and of activities of minor characters like Cato the Younger.

Livy is more fun to read, Polybius is a better teacher. I'd probably rank Dio alongside Appian, although Dio falls into rambling rhetoric a lot when talking about Caesar. Stylistically not that great, no battle speeches or combat specifics, but he does a good job of following Polybius in differentiating pretexts and true causes in basically every major action that's taken.

Also expensive. Only complete from Loeb in 9 volumes at about $25 each, of which a lot are fragments, and the first two volumes are organized like a fucking nightmare. Pic related shows hos little of his work actually survives in full. Penguin publishes the few books about Augustus which I think might be the most interesting part of Dio anyway (just a guess; I'm one volume away from that section). Also Loeb has, unsurprisingly, basically no critical intro and almost zero annotations. Not a beginner friendly printing.

>Finnegans Wake

I remember buying a copy of Hegel's 'Phenomenology of Spirit' when I was just starting out. I learned in time what a laughably precocious misstep that was.

Don't beat yourself up too badly when the book leaves you completely bewildered. Just keep reading seriously and tackle it again earnestly in a few years time.

Perfect, great to hear so much from a romaboo.

Eventually i'd like to get around to reading all those authors i have a lot on my plate at the moment, i'll copy and paste all this you said so i can keep it in mind when i'm ready to make a choice when i pursue roman history further.

I really appreciate it m8, great info.

Literally everything except your bible looks unopened

>laughably precocious misstep
Wish I could punch you in the face tbqh

Thanks
Yeah, I'm not planning on touching that for now

popular penguins don't crack unless you're retarded.
You're right about the classics though, maybe you're blind though those non-fict and sci fi books are pretty cracked.

>an user being honest and self-aware annoys me to the point of feeling violent

Why is that? Is it perhaps that the line reminds you a little too much of a certain someone?

Jesus

My pleasure; I'm just glad you gave me an excuse to talk about this shit.

PS when you get around to these guys, make sure to read Sallust. Short, sweet, and readily available for cheap, but still some of the coolest fucking writing I've seen come out of the ancient world.

>All that is born dies, all that grows, grows old. But the soul is incorruptible, eternal, the director of the human race; it guides and has power over all things, and is not itself controlled. All the more surprising, then, is the depravity of those who are devoted to bodily pleasures and pass their lives in luxury and idleness, but allow their intellectual talent, which is the best and most noble part of human nature, to grow torpid with neglect and indolence, especially when the rational soul has so many different ways to attain the heights of glory.

Cheers!

Thought so, lol.

>Dio

He's the worst historian over there. He kept spitting on the people he didn't like without any reason, like Seneca. He's absolutely unreliable and a bad writer, too. Stay with Tacitus.

>he can't open a book without murdering the spine
i pity you user

Haven't reached Nero in Dio so I can't comment on how he paints Seneca, but so far I've seen nothing out of the ordinary for ancient writers in terms of condemning bad men and praising good ones. In fact so far I'd say he's really fair, obviously respecting Caesar but calling him out on his ambitions which sacrifice the safety of the state, his currying of favor with Romans of all ranks, and his contrived mourning for Pompey.

Also enjoy his frequent comments on human nature, and his rhetoric is okay, but he's definitely not one of my favorites so far. Tacitus may be a better historian by modern standards, but fuck was he more boring to read. Also Dio is surprisingly one of very few primary sources about Augustus.

How are you familiar with Dio? I really don't know anyone who knows about him, let alone has read him, let alone has read him AND can comment on him in relation to other ancient historians.

Bump

Haven't updated in a while

I want that Portrait.

where are you getting those white/orange penguins from?

>Fox in Socks
bruh

Not my shelf but I got this for my birthday yesterday. I'm pretty happy.

>owning the paper jew in the age of digital media

Kill more trees goyim, trees are evil.

hegel sucks at writing

Right now I'm sitting in the cafe Phil, see pic.
This is in Vienna, across the cafe Sperl where Gödel did his major work.

yikes, those gift editions look horrendous, I'd be ashamed to have them on my shelf. Toss em out and get cracking with that TBK

Do you take the figures out of the box? I'd like to know what you think of the first figure on the top shelf, the Rei/Asuka combo one. Been thinking of getting it.

Also you should complete the rock set. I'm still needing to pick up Misato.

I don't take them out. The combo one has pretty bad sausage fingers :/, pretty cool though

Hi gramps

Oh fuck, I'll just buy the "complete collection of____" and get that out of the way.

rise and fall hanging off the edge is making me nervous . . .

instagram.com/p/BEwBw5WLK2l/?taken-by=haileybentongates

A tremor is the death of whoever sleeps in that bed.

her ass will protect my head and face

i would be too busy cumming on her feet to read anything

The highlight of my shelf
yeah the Poe is pretty ugly and the Lovecraft is really old, Sherlock Holmes looks pretty great though

I also have The Count of Monte Cristo which I forgot to put in the shelf for the pic

A little bit jelly of the complete Lovecraft collection. I'm a complete fucking idiot and, with poetry, tend to buy both the complete works of whoever and also the individual collections.

how do you people keep your books in a couple of shelves
in this flat me and dad got about 4000 books, in the last few years he moved 2000 to his office(he is a tenured professor, so he can keep all the shit he wants there), donated 500
in the attic of the house weve got around 2500 periodicals from the 50s through to the 90s, mostly comicbooks but also academic journals
in the library of the house we god around 3000 thousand books, and last year me and auntie moved about as many to the attic too
in the second flat we got around 5000, my grandpa basically left us with, he donated around 2000 a few years back
i personally have 4 shelves of copied material, mostly periodicals for my major

how do you people keep it so tidied

My parents are functionally illiterate and jobless. They've never had books in the house. I'm the only person in my family who has ever picked up a book for fun.

I wish I'd had your kind of upbringing, but I didn't.

>house we god around 3000 thousand books

stopped reading

am drunk do forgive

drunk with lies

why so?

Why no picture proof? Surely people that well-off have a camera lying around, if not a phone with one.

maybe because i am not home
we arent that well-off, we mostly just managed our money very well
upper middle class in a exyu country

You have two flats and a house and you're not at any of them? By "in this flat" didn't you mean where you're currently staying?

>By "in this flat" didn't you mean where you're currently staying?
nor the picture posted with that statement, as it's some piece of years old blogspam trash

idk why people bother roleplaying online like this it's sad

i dont have a camera in every flat we own, why the fuck would i
also i have 4 flats and a house

You have a phone though, I'm sure. Don't pretend you have one without a camera on it. You're obviously not a luddite.

i am not a luddite, but i do use a nokia 215, cause i dislike the pressure of social networks as they distract me from studying
if you want vga quality photos sure i can do that

These threads usually don't have super quality photos anyway. Low quality is fine to prove you're not talking out of your ass. You can always give us a general idea of what's in the pic if no titles are visible.

sure just gotta upload to imgur give me a sec

here, first pic is the one shelf of copied ethic readers and collected articles i keep in this flat
the second and third one are of the books and comics i read as a child and my younger brother reads now
third and fourth are part of the books in the living room
and the fifth is a part of the shelf of my dads books for his lectures
imgur.com/a/WzjJ4

ask for titles and stuff, most are serbocroat, 30 percent english and a lot of german too

i was wondering why you were so annoying and had it mostly explained to myself by your being female, but something still didn't feel right and now I see that it is because you are also a foreigner

everything makes sense now

>imgur.com/a/WzjJ4

The only one I can halfway make out is Harry Potter, I think. It looks less impressive than I was thinking, but it's probably the shitty pictures. I can see why you were concerned over everyone's tidiness.

What does your dad teach?

i already said i live in an exyu country...
also i am male
and i might be annoying cause i am drunk and sound like a lying idiot
screenwriting
and yea, i never said its impressive, and dont think it is, but it looks much better when not taken by a vga camera

looks ready to collapse/10

Panorama shots tends to do that

>Fear of Music

My I Zimbra.

i'm imagining that the only sound audible in that room is the deep sombre ticking of a grandfather clock

What box is that with Peter Pan, Alice, Wizard of Oz and such?

>anime

It's the Easton Press edition, if you'd like to find it

It's called "Treasury of Children's Classics", with the isbn of 9780907786177
I've had it since I was very young, though, so who knows if it's still in print

animu

you sound like an idiot, guess those books did little in teaching you anything

bit messy atm

>not placing the idiot adjacent to brothers karmazov so the eyes stare at each other
poor form my man

Letsee....Book about Nazis and a Confederate Battle Flag. I'll have to look closer for 'Art of the Deal'

The Veeky Forums episode of hoarders

I'm not right leaning at all, actually.
The book was my father's, and is a pretty interesting account of the war. The flag is there because I didn't appreciate all the politics down there in the past year where they tried to demonize the flag and have it banned; seemed like an injustice to their history, to me. So, I put up the flag in support (though, if I'm honest, I am getting tired of it)

Take the figures out of their boxes. It's bad to leave PVC boxed up

The Anna Karenina one looks great.

It really does.

>8023425
aesthetically pleasing

I'm just grinding your gears user brother. So say it loud. I'm black and I'm proud.

This is 1/8 I think
Please disregard how messy everything is.