How is Freud's theory of the Oedipus complex applied in literary analysis?

How is Freud's theory of the Oedipus complex applied in literary analysis?

Disregard Freud. He's merely a stepping stone to get to Jung's psychoanalytic conception of the psyche and collective unconscious.

>Disregard Freud.

t. freshman psychology major meme guy totally won't change his mind in a semester or two

Goyium guy sheckle obviously haven't read civilization of discontent.... Gee weez is it summer already?

More like a pseudo-intellectual continental mystical Jung fanboy.

>tfw always went to dad first with my boo boos

am I gay?

The real question should be, if the Oedipus complex is an implied period in every male childs life, how does this come to affect males brought up by homosexual parents? Would this affect the childs sexuality or would it cease to happen?

Perhaps it would depend upon the state of the child when this happens.

I think Freud would describe you as emasculated. Instead of the typical behaviour of wanting to eliminate your father's penis in order to give your mother your own penis, you want to have your father's penis to compensate for your own: the male Elektra complex.

Probably the same thing would happen as a boy raised by a single father, unless the homosexual couple had apparent masculine/feminine assigned roles.

Read "Literature and Psychoanalysis" by Kurzweil and Phillips. That books provides some analyses of literature using Freud's theories. It may help answer your questions.

Freud describes the complex as an unpreventable state in every childs life
If raised by a family male orientated would that lead to inevitable homosexual type feelings to his father figure?

>If raised by a family male orientated would that lead to inevitable homosexual type feelings to his father figure?

I don't think Freud entertained such a scenario. Following his theory, I think the Oedipus complex is dependent on gender roles and without the feminine role present there is no internal conflict between the id's desire to become the alpha male and the super-ego's desire to submit to the established alpha male.
However, the id is what makes us think inappropriate things all the time. I think all of us regardless of our upbringing, thanks to our id, wants to be sexually intimate with everyone familial despite sexual orientation just 'because'.

all over the fuckin place

this may be the dumbest post ever unironically typed on this board

It's simple, you get to know some psychoanalysis, then try to find ANY, even the most stretched, interpretation that could match psychoanalysis. Discretely add auxiliary hypotheses as needed.

Its funny because the fucking his mom thing wasn't even the really shocking thing by ancient Greek standards, it was the murder of his dad.

If you google "Freud" and "Hamlet" you'll get the basic oedipal myth and audience catharsis.

Reminder that psychoanalysis is literally psuedoscinece because there's no situation that would require rethinking any of its methods.

Except the method itself is rethinking. Checkmate christians
>tips fedora

It is possible both to appreciate Freud as one of the most important pioneers in the history of psychology, and to say that his work should be disregarded today. Psychoanalysis tends to be less effective than other psychotherapies (e.g. CBT) for treating mental health disorders, and I doubt it'll last much longer as a serious treatment option now that evidence-based treamtent is becoming more important. In my opinion, it will probably go the same way as homeopathy.

Seriously though I read this article once about how men later in life tend to prefer women whose appearances correlate with what their mum looked like when they were growing up, and this was evidenced by a study done by modern psychologists. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Idk if it was even real or not

It's funny because that's exactly the opposite of what's happening, they've been proving Freud was right through neuroscience quite a lot recently.

citations please

Also going to need citations for this. But even if they have - so what? The point of psychoanalysis is to heal people with mental disorders, so if it fails to do that (or fails to do that as well as a different therapy) then it should be disregarded from a practical perspective.

Just Google some of the following: Sue Gerhardt, David Thomas, Mark Solms, Gerd Thomas Waldhauser

David Deutsch also gives a pretty strong argument that Freud should be considered a philosopher above all else though.

How do I overcome my Oedipus complex if my birth mom died when I was four and my dad soon married my stepmom that abused me in any way possible throughout childhood, and now I'm petrified around women and extremely lonely, and in nights fantasize on necrosex with my dead mom?

diy lobotomy

Kafka on the Shore by Murakami had some hints of the Oedipus complex. I don't know if analyzing literature by that theory is a good idea though since it's so rare.

freud WAS a philosopher. he was more proto-ontologist ala heidegger than psychologist. his study was of human subjectivity in its own subjective terms.

gradually normie-ize your fetishes. like literally, make your fantasies a little bit more normie every time. Don't even have to go straight to vanilla, just try to find a slightly normier fetish for starters.

it CAN be done, and it will make you an overall happier person. this is exactly why Freud works.