Ok co/ck/s, I've organized a dinner with a few friends, I'm going to be cooking a beef goulash...

Ok co/ck/s, I've organized a dinner with a few friends, I'm going to be cooking a beef goulash, any advice you could give to a fairly inexperienced cook?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yOvwVdoZ1X8
lmgtfy.com/?q=goulash recipe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Feed them alcohol so they don't notice if you mess the dish up

Soak the beef chunks in red-wine (in a bowl covered with cling-film in the fridge) for a few hours.

Make it in a slow-cooker if you have one.

Buy the best quality smoked paprika you can find (or afford).

Buy good beef.

Make it for yourself first if you've never made it before.

I was going to follow this guy's way of doing it, how legit is it?
youtube.com/watch?v=yOvwVdoZ1X8

make sure the elbow macaroni is al dente and not over cooked, use 70/30 ground beef for extra flavor, make your own sauce and not prego brand jars of traditional blue label

I was going to, but since it takes so long to cook, I said "Fuck it"

>smoked paprika
>in goulash
>in hungarian cuisine at all
No.

>asks about goulash/gulyás
>posts pörkölt
I'm confused. Which do you want: gulyás, which is a soup, or pörkölt, which is a meat and vegetable ragout?

First buy a thick chuck or rump roast, like 3lbs for 4 people. Chunk into good 2 inch portions. Dredge chunks in salt, pepper seasoned flour. Brown chunks on all sides in batches, removing from pan and keep going until finished. Be patient and don't rush this step. Brown = flavor, I'm sure you've heard that before.
Add very big pieces of red bell pepper, and whole baby onions (just buy a bag of them frozen), or regular onion, saute a few. Remove from pan. Add halved or whole mushrooms, brown.
Deglaze pan with water or stock (or a little wine). Adding all ingredients back in. Toss in a bay leaf, 3-4 generous tablespoons of (sweet not hot) hungarian (or very fresh) paprika. A couple cloves of garlic are optional. Simmer until tender.
Now, beef chunks can take a while to tenderize, so if not doing a slow cooker or with 3+ hours to simmer, then make it the day before right up to this step. Rewarm. It's always better the next day anyway. Fact.
Before serving, sample and check for salt, pepper, paprika goodness. If good, then you get to the creamy step, if using. Blend a Tbsp of flour into regular cup of sour cream, so it can bind to the fat. Without boiling/overheating, stir into paprikash and simmer another 10 minutes til thickened.

I serve with the widest egg noodles I can buy, or I make "dumplings" which you can also find in the freezer section sometimes...some amish brand if you have markets like that. Another alternative is fresh egg pasta if sold in sheets you can tear.

I also like fresh steamed peas on the side, as well as very nice hearty rye or whole wheat bread and butter. Pilsner Urquell is pretty crisp for such a heavy meal.

Sorry for my ignorance, I just googled goulash. What I had in mind was the pörkölt I suppose

devils pocket and sztrapacska or however you cunts spell it sometimes has smoked paprika sprinkled on top

I just realized you said "goulash" and not paprikash.
You should know that outside of Hungary goulash is kind of like a paprikash. Within Hungary, goulash soup, is indeed an actual soup with a broth base, rather than a thick dinner needing a starch side. Whichever one you wanted, I gave you the thick goulash known more outside of Hungary. Flavor profile is the same. And, for me, it's not soup weather yet, hahah.

Usually people call it goulash instead of the ragout you mentioned

You could be nice about it and post a good recipe you know, instead of going on about naming.

I wanna try making this at some point as well.

Post pics of results OP

Thanks a lot, I'll save this and keep this stuff in mind

I will, we'll be eating it on friday night

I don't understand what is going on here. None of that looks like goulash. I went to google and typed in goulash recipe and this is what came up. It's elbow macaroni, sauce, ground beef. I didn't type anything other than "goulash recipe".

lmgtfy.com/?q=goulash recipe

That's another kind of casserole "goulash" commonly served in elementary schools. It doesn't even have paprika. It's for children, hence the macaroni.

Oh. That's super easy.
Thinly slice two onions, and three bell peppers, one yellow and two green.
>mushroom is also optionally used
Put them in a pan, salt them generously, then sauté them together in lard, tallow or oil (in decreasing order of preference).
Use the water method to caramelise the veg; meanwhile, cut a bit of brisket into cubes and toss with enough paprika that the cubes feel dry and powdery to the touch. I use a mix of noble, soft and hot paprika, but you can use just soft if you can't take pungency. It is important that the majority of the paprika used is strongly red-coloured paprika and not a brown one, so soft paprika should be at least half of it.
Sauté the cubes in the greasy caramelised veg, until coloured but not cooked through then add enough stock (beef, veg or mushroom, if you added them) to just barely cover the meat and allow to slow cook for a few hours. This tenderises the meat and reduces the liquid.
Salt to taste and serve with something starchy.
Traditional starch is a bean-shaped type of egg-dough pasta, but any starch should be fine. Some people say potato is forbidden in pörkölt, and they're right, but it's not forbidden as the starchy side, so you can use that.

Hope this helps.

Then why is it all that comes up when I google goulash recipe?

I did post one, user! I just wanted to know which one OP meant. Wouldn't wanna give him the recipe for one only to learn he wanted one for the other.

Seems legit. Add a gherkin, flower-style sausage and crispy-fried egg to each dish to make it a Fiakergulasch like they serve it in Vienna. (easy as fuck to fry three eggs and make three flower sausages and might impress your guests). The dumplings shouldn't be too hard to make either but I woudln't risk it.