What is your current novel/short story about, user?

What is your current novel/short story about, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oogabooga
amazon.com/Fucking-Time-Machine-Titanic-ebook/dp/B01F1AF242/ref=pd_sim_sbs_351_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AZBX4kSPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_UX300_PJku-sticker-v3,TopRight,0,-44_OU01_AC_UL160_SR100,160_&refRID=HZQ5P6TYG94029ZGR590
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Peterbus_Unum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

turns out a guy who loved his waifu was actually her husbando and her's is the real world that dreams up his

It's about Infinite Jest

some unemployed pseudointellectuals and political radicals in 2020 america

Writing about a Syrian refugee looking for a better life who comes face to face with Western millennial culture

So I'm trying to connect the pagan holiday May Day with the Haymarket Square rebellion in a supernatural fantasy kind of way.

I'm writing some kind of essay on how terrorism works when it comes to its perception by perpetrators, victims and neutrals.
I do this just to order my ideas before I start writing a novelle or play (still don't know) in which a hipster artist who is amazed by terrorist violence from a Dostoyevsky-like aesthetic perspective gets kidnapped by a communist group. That situation gives place to a long conversation on aesthetics of violence between the artist, a militant from the group and the guy who is in charge of the propaganda stuff.

big wet asses

you mean when the government gives him money and place to live solely because his is a syrian ooga booga?

terrible

>him
you mean her. and yes that is the jyst of it. she just escaped a war torn country so she will take anything she can get

>you mean her

and that's when i thought you couldn't make your novel worse...

a female ooga booga!

>ooga booga
what does that even mean?

I can write females better than males simply because I can relate to them more but its not the most important part of the tale.

Isn't that exactly the culture they are looking for when they travel Germany and western Europe?

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oogabooga

that 19th century part is bs btw but the etymology can be true... it seems nobody is certain, it either went from ugly bugger or it's an onomatopoeia, i dunno which is more correct

I don't think so. The last thing they probably want is to see their homeland in turmoil.

I'm still doing a lot of research such as reading their first hand experiences. It's a strange new experience for them.

She is Syrian not Sudanese

it doesn't matter

It's about the compromises one has to make to live in a state of socially acceptable absolute egoism

A middle-aged father declares himself his own country, and begins waging war against the US by tipping over trash cans, stealing manhole covers, spreading propaganda around his neighborhood, and employing his children--principalities, he calls them--as his purple shirts.

It sounds fun, I'd read it

Well the last thing may be that but they clearly also rather want to see Germany than say Turkey or Greece.

>It sounds fun
That's the goal. Before I even try to publish stuff like my most recent project--a 70-page sentence fragment with no punctuation--I need to establish myself, and prove that I'm not a complete hack.

what's the point of a 70 pages sentence besides showing that you can write a 70 pages sentence?

An old, retired, man who spent his whole life working blue collar labor jobs to provide his wife and kids watches his wife slip into senililty. Because of her, he cannot travel or do any of the things he wanted to do, the things he always told himself he would do before he died.

The story details his epiphany that he hasn't lived his life for himself, but for her, which is futile because she doesn't deserve it, and he realizes he doesn't love her, and hasn't for sometime.

He gets a obituary letter telling him the husband of his high school sweet heart has died, and he leaves his wife to spend his final years with her.

The story ends with his wife talking to her daughter. She tells her daughter that her husband will be home soon, as he is out for groceries, though he left her several months ago.

It's a short story collection. The stories will be situations in which I meet her, which I imagine while walking and hoping to meet her somewhere.

It will be about obsession, isolation and unrequited love.

I'm working on a series of time travel erotica novellas.

College roommates, Chuck and Sam are best friends and kind of an odd couple. Chuck is a physics major and a big nerd. Sam is the opposite, a lacrosse-playing ladies' man with sexy muscles.

After drinking magic mushroom tea at a hippie sex party, Chuck has a dream that he is fucking a beautiful blue skinned alien with hypnotic eyes and tits to die for. When he wakes up he has new insight into the physics behind quantum mechanics and time travel.

Chuck researches the equations from his dream at the library and tracks down a mysterious ancient scepter which allows them to time travel.

In a stroke of genius, they decide to travel through time to the night the Titanic sank, so they can be on a sweet boat and bang women who were going to die anyway.

When they loose the magic scepter, they may be going down with the ship. Their dicks may have got the best of them in this sexy adventure.

amazon.com/Fucking-Time-Machine-Titanic-ebook/dp/B01F1AF242/ref=pd_sim_sbs_351_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AZBX4kSPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_UX300_PJku-sticker-v3,TopRight,0,-44_OU01_AC_UL160_SR100,160_&refRID=HZQ5P6TYG94029ZGR590

Sounds fun, would read it.
Sounds interesting, would read it.
It will get really popular and it will be called one of the most important works of our time.

How long is it? Can you provide an extract? You're very likely to be about to be 3.41 dollar richer

I'm going to write children books because I want to at least obtain some form of income without resorting to journalism

It's like that for a reason, my man. The sentence acts as time, so it is flowing, unbroken, and, as the fragment suggests, extends before and after the life of the narrator, who, as the sentence progresses, grows up and gets older, until he is old, senile, and completely different from his younger self.

>It will get really popular and it will be called one of the most important works of our time.

see, considering that person is likely a woman, >I can write females better than males simply because I can relate to them more

women know what to write to be famous and popular, women are practical like that :^)

Please don't do it, I don't want to see it be praised

another typical shit post. Properly by bot post of Veeky Forums to stimulate the stupidity and show-off nature of /lit.

Generic fantasy stuff

it's about a man masturbating in a public sauna

i h-hope he's not the good guy

I have a friend who tried something similar. Just a tip:

Surely at a few points in the story she'll be confronted with the nu-rights. While most of them reached a degree of ignorance that shouldn't be possible don't portray them in the cliche nu-right way. Take at least one nu-right character and try to write him/her in a
multi-layered fashion. Carve out the fundamental problems within our society (Uncertainty about the future, the result of monotonous every day life: frustration, etc.) that lead to views like these. Don't let the nu-rights become the boogeyman of your story, expose them for what they really are, flawed humans who slipped into an unfortunate way of compensating.

Sounds like a wonderful villain!

Why do you say that? I'm actually trying to make him a sympathetic character, where he's tron between his wife's oncoming dementia and her senality. I wouldn't consider him a villain, would you?

Basically AOIAF without incest during cold war era, with mechas.

a man who unwillingly starts a blue collar working class revolution. It actually happens, but nobody likes them because they've lived comfortable lives.

Lovecraftian fiction.
Currently I am working on a sequel to Dagon. The ending and beginning are decent. The middle is missing.

Another story is about a young man driven mad by dreams of a strange realm, each time understanding more and more about it until he is cut off so he travels to Arkham to study at the university to find out the meaning.

Another one is just called 17 Days. About a corpse who washes ashore on a Philippine Island and how he ended up like that. I was on holiday there recently and I felt dead inside after I had to leave.

I have a fictional world lined up ready to span from a galactic war with civilizations millennia before human evolution, to a secret organization that works to kill the first gods on earth that seek to subjugate humanity through fear, to WWIII, to the return of said ancient civ.

ending sounds too schmaltzy, i dig the concept tho

Christ now that I put this into words I feel I've spread myself too thin.
Which sucks because every time I have an idea for a plot I find it extremely difficult to decide it's not with expanding upon, so literally everything I come up with gets added to my personal universe.

it's also quite similar to the plot of evangelion

17 Days sounds interesting and got a cool title. Did the guy pull a hero?

and almost cliche, i'll add. the focus of your novel at that point isn't on his ex-wife, it's on him. thematically, you're going against the decisions made up until that point in the novel

who does that sort of an ending matter to? to him? he left her for dead. the reader? dunno about that.

a story that gets this right is the Metamorphosis. the entire thing is abour gregor samsa until after he dies. after the climax he's been forgotten as the main character completely. the final sentence describes her, blossoming as a young woman. in fact, you could argue the story was about her all along.

don't hinge on cliche, try to think up an original resolution.

Oh fuck what?

the final sentence describes his sister*

Yep:
Ancestral race;war before human evolution
Seele: secret organization to (kill) become first gods
War against the angels: ww11
return of said ancient race: third impact

In Hong Kong twenty years from now a pro-independence party threatens the mainland's control and threatens the city itself with fascist, militaristic nationalism. A rookie policewoman, signed up for the piloted robot unit, witnesses the slow decline of the city as political intrigues and conspiracies mixed with deadly terroristic violence erodes everything about it she loves before the spectre of the Chinese Communist Party can get there first, until the idea of becoming like metal, as inhuman as the machine she drives, starts to look a very appealing prospect...

Does it help that said ancient race turns out to be ancient humans, and that the effects of the war aren't really felt on earth except for the first gods who are essentially that race but can use magic?
And the secret organization has nothing to do with the original ancient empire?

It's about a guy who is reunited with his estranged college roommates after a mutual friend of theirs dies. He realizes that all of them had become "real" adults while he had been pissing his life away after graduation. They eat at a diner and reconnect but he sees that they are different people now and he can't keep up with them with their new lives. The story ends with him bringing a girl from the group home to sleep with her but realizes how alone he is and that she won't be able to reconnect him with his past and what he invisioned his future to be.

Too real, dude.
Write it.

It's a contemporary family saga

Is it lame if you base your protagonist on yourself? I have pretty bad OCD and though it might be a good ingredient for storytelling but it might come out forced and cringy

Well, not exactly a short story, but I'm writing a really short screenplay about a guy who gets kidnapped by a low-level crime boss, learns that he's got gun-fu powers or some shit and had his memory wiped. The boss controls the powers, and every time he gets to use them he gets a flash of memory back.

Wanted to make it a real 80's throwback, John Carpenter-style badassery. Hell, the boss has an eyepatch.

As long as you don't make him a literal self-insert Mary Sue type you're cool.

Just don't make it too obvious

No but giving that one of the top book in the 100 best selling ebooks on amazon is literally called "Shades of Vampires", you should probably ride that similarity cock as much as you can

Does it help that I don't have giant mech suits in modern earth, and that there's actually content and story on the ancient race?
I feel like your similarities you're pointing out are very loose. And I haven't watched Evangelion, I just know that it has bio mechs and some chick in a skin tight suit for fanservice.

Maybe you're right, the only thing that I can tell you for sure is that as soon as I've read your post the first thing that has poppe into my mind was "that's basically eva"

Huh.
Well, you had a fair point though. Don't think it'll affect how it's received, hopefully.

this happens in an episode of Family Guy

Dude gets turned into female animal and gets fucked.

Kind of a niche fetish thing. Getting paid about $100 for it.

Two teenagers who find a dead body.

An arrogant Historian who is bored out of his mind, starts a game where he assumes someone is reading his mind. His objective is to entertain this spectator as best as he can. He starts of telling stories about history and slowly transitions in telling more about himself. After a while this historian gets rather attached to the mind reader and goes to great lengths to prove his or her existence.

It's about the way people/groups isolate themselves from other people/groups and the world. And how these people/groups become so focused on building themselves up in an echo chamber fashion. It's centered around hipsters.

>jyst

W-what? Are you sure?

The life of a nu-male based on my friend irl.

i'm rewriting dracula. help me with the ending, guys.

Who does he work for?

What is the next step in his master plan?

This sounds pretty good.

Keep in mind muslims hate homosexuality, gender equality, sexual freedom, and jews.

It's worth noting that muslims voted 90% republican before the war on terror.

I'm writing a novel and good lord is it hard. I'm closing in on 2 years and 300k words worth of drafting, and I'm just about done with my first draft.

are chuck and sam based on charls carrol and sam hyde?

A guy watching birds at his grandmothers funeral

Neil Gaiman did it
Sounds fun
>>writing a play
What is this, 1950?
boooooo
The last one sounds cool
Sounds difficult to pull off in short form, could be fun though. Might be cool for him to focus on an individual who he thinks is reading his mind, just to put in another solid character.
>>discusses theme instead of plot
Write a mansplaining essay if you don't have a story to tell

Social outcast fighting against stigmatization, his inner demons and incidental self sabotage. Eventually he lets go of his hate and goes on a quest to find other's like him, attempting to prevent suicides and expose people to the pitfalls and strengths of being human.

Writer discovers occult Nazi war criminal who tricks him into writing his autobiography.

I'm taking a break from my big novel to write a smaller story. I just finished the second edit of my big novel and I need a break.

This small one has parallel stories that only barely intersect but have thematic overlap. One story follows Spurs GM R. C. Buford in the years between the 2007 and 2014 NBA Finals as he wavers between breaking up the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli core and surrounding it with the role players necessary to keep things going. The other story follows Phuong Hernandez, an aging basketball referee who works for an NCAA Division II conference and does some AAU and high school tournaments on the side. As Phuong's marriage falls apart, her career hits a wall when she fails to impress at a Big 12 officiating camp. An unlikely chain of events in Austin, Texas ends with Phuong as the head referee of the state's high school basketball finals. At the same time, the 2014 San Antonio Spurs defeat the Miami Heat in five games to earn the organization's fifth championship. As a first round exit in the 2015 playoffs puts Buford in a similar situation to the one the organization faced in 2008, Phuong secures a chance to "try out" for the NBA's officiating program by participating in developmental camps and refereeing the 2015 NBA Summer League. Just after the Spurs win the LaMarcus Aldridge sweepstakes, Phuong refs a clean Summer League championship game, where Becky Hammon coaches the Spurs' developing talent to victory.

A man rides a train home. When he finally comes home, he kills himself.

no opinions?

I'm sorry to go off topic for a bit, but I REALLY struggle with scene writing. I'm talking third person, past tense, dialogue heavy writing. I can whip up some beautiful prose in the first or second person, but it all comes off as narrative writing; really more like journalism than fiction.

The problem is I want to write fiction. I want to do my fantasies justice.

Like right now I'm trying to write a scene where this young kid is being given all this food by Communist revolutionaries, and I honest to God can't make this sound natural or smooth.

It probably doesn't help that my actual profession is journalism, and all I've read lately has been NOT scene writing fiction (just plowing through Ficciones RN).

What do you guys struggle with? Do you have any tips?

Yes. Almost down to the letter.

Holy crap, I actually remember that episode. And Peter gets a seat at the UN right?

Well, that's what I get for trying to make something normal, I guess. Back to writing overly experimental garbage.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Peterbus_Unum

Oh, that's not as close as I thought it was, actually, so, with a few adjustments, I should still be able to do it.

I'm laughing really hard at the idea of somebody inventing a DeLilloesque parody of geopolitics, only to realize that he got the idea from watching Family Guy while stoned.

Read more novels obiously? And why not try writing out your story as a report?

>he lived his entire life for her
>but she doesn't deserve it
Is probably some of the most one dimensional, bitter lines you could write which don't get my hopes up for this portraying any conflict whatsoever and being more of a power fantasy.

My idea so far:
A boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the girl’s phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones,DRAMAensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question theNATUREofLOVE

that's leaving aside he ditched his daughter, who seems as a non person whatsoever

Sounds interesting enough, too neck-beardy too get published though

homosexual

something along the lines of late multinational capitalism but spread out across the stars churning toward and into its final collapse, brought about by a youth of nobility who becomes a technoscientific-transgender-smuggler-messiah.

This heralds not only the end of the age of man specifically among the stars, but also a galaxywide apocalypse of the undead that the former MC's companions- a displaced but miraculously not disaffected and naive strain of masculinity in his twelve year old friend/warrior Paul, Paul's one-armed and android companion Eighteen, the giant (sort of) and superpowered ubermensch man Loufer and his even more powerful daughter from the future Raditz, the MC's holy battle-sister sister Anome, the unexpected new prince of light who follows a trajectory into villain and then redemption and then villain again Super-Urizl, the plain girl from an unmodern planet whose bestowed w a sword from the future Yelly, the first sorceress in millenia to rediscover the practice of Conjuration, Illium, and her pupil, Yelly's sister's son's son Coco, the MC's first offplanet lover who dies earlier in the novel and then escapes from hell, the Spectre of Nihlus, and others- must face before an age of human, age of woman, or new age of man might begin among the stars.

Haven't started it yet, but I have an idea for a short story: a 21 year old college student who never grew out of the imaginary friend phase in childhood. Other than being an adult who socializes with and makes accommodations for this imaginary person, he is totally normal and well-adjusted.

Would it make me a faggot if I narrated first person with the narrator as the imaginary friend?

I never manage to find the right "age" for my characters.

25 is too close from my real self and I don't want them to be like me nor to self insert.
28 is still a bit childish
32-35 sounds right but I fear I couldn't understand them and write them correctly since I'm not that age yet.
40 is too old

70 is perfect for old men though