I always thought that you guys were just memeing about this Carbonara...

I always thought that you guys were just memeing about this Carbonara, but I just made some tonight and WOW! That was actually really good pasta. Any tips or tricks to improve the Carbonara?

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/11973/spaghetti-carbonara-ii/
youtu.be/3AAdKl1UYZs?list=FLwxi98CS9L3jjVTyz27bNnQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fT86XyBZyp0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>excellent bacon
>carmelized onions
>lotsa parmesan

>dat can opener

nice OP, r8 mine

bacon
peas
onions
sundried tomatoes

Wow, you really went all out with the pepper. I was more cautious with my seasonings as this was more experimental

haha fucking retard, thats not mine I stole it from reddit faggot

Looks good OP.

Congrats on making it without cream and on not cooking the eggs by accident.

That's not a lot of pepper.
You're a tool.

Go back to Rebbit. Not everyone is familiar with file naming schemes from other sites.

everybody knows what imgur filenames look like dumbass

what's the recipe for this particular version?

allrecipes.com/recipe/11973/spaghetti-carbonara-ii/

thanks!

>he needs to use recipes

>tips to improve carbonara?
It looks great already user, but that's not the quintessential carbonara.

No onion, no garlic, only use egg yolks, more pepper.
Garlic is plain wrong. Onion is okay (adds too much sweetness imho), but in Italy we usually go for "no vegetables, real carbonara" or "vegetarian carbonara". More on that below.
As usual, going yolks only makes for a better taste but is wasteful when you don't plan on using the whites elsewhere.

Following the linked recipe, also know that parsley is optional and you should never add salt to already cooked pasta, so salt the sauce before adding pasta.

The technique is of paramount importance, but your pic looks good so I think you got that right; eggs should thicken but not scramble.

The real killer is if you can get some Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan, or go half and half with Parmesan and either Pecorino Toscano or Pecorino Siciliano (half and half is a decent approximation of Romano) (with siciliano, reduce the pepper amount).

I personally have very little experience with different kinds of bacon, so I'm not sure how important it is that you go for italian pancetta (pancetta "affumicata" (smoked)).
Tradition would be "guanciale", pork cheek prepared in a very similar manner to pancetta, but know that it's much more fat and the taste of the whole dish is gonna be much different. Try it out if you can, but many people prefer pancetta.
If you want to add vegetables, you can search for "carbonara vegetariana" to get an idea of what goes well (avoid any vegan shit, eggs are necessary).
Usual ingredients for vegetarian carbonara include onion, zucchini or bell pepper.

Source: I work as a cook in Italy

youtu.be/3AAdKl1UYZs?list=FLwxi98CS9L3jjVTyz27bNnQ

Do this and do it right

Why are Italians such arrogant pieces of shit?

Other than the excesse of oil, perfect carbonara.
Nice video showing how simple this recipe is.

Not a meme , when made right I would eat it everyday but it's not the healthiest thing but dam fucking worth it

Excellent trolling friendo

I always added cream, why doesn't he? What's wrong with it?
And on the heat of the pasta, if you stir it well enough it won't become scrambled because the eggs are spread out.

I'll give you a few tips OP. First of all, if you're going to add onion, garlic, peas or parsley like a lot of people do (I never do), at least try the original first, see how delicious it is, then decide for yourself what you think would go well. Don't just add what you've heard of people adding, really try to consider the flavour while you're eating the original and think for yourself.

One thing I often add is mushrooms. They go really well with eggs and most types of cured pork. The flavour isn't strong such that it won't change the dish to something completely different, like onions do.

For a richer, creamier sauce, use butter, though it's no substitute for olive oil. I cook using olive oil the whole time, stir in a spoon of butter near the end, and then finish with a drizzle of olive oil.

Use a non stick pan so you don't lose the fat from the meat, as that's going to add tonnes of flavour to the sauce.

You won't find guanciale most places, pancetta is fine. If you can only find thinly cut pancetta, I'd go for bacon, as you want chunks/strips of decent thickness.

Don't fall for the "heat of the pasta will cook the eggs" meme. Sure, they will be edible, but the most deliciously creamy carbonara is achieved with heat control and time. Get your pan on a low heat, taking it on and off, adding the eggs a bit at a time, adding a splash if pasta water each time or whenever it's looking dry, stirring the whole time. Take the pan on and off the heat as needed, just keep an eye and work with it over time to slowly incorporate the eggs and avoid overcooking. Think of Ramsay's scrambled eggs technique, but cooked less.

Hope all that helped OP.

Cream is relatively mild so it dilutes the rich, salty flavor of the dish. If you like it then go ahead, you'd have to be a faggot to insist it be called something different, and it makes it easier to achieve a perfect consistency. At least try it without though.

I will next time, however it seems almost like the sauce is none existent without the cream.

>coke bottle
>usb cable on table
>meme bottle opener
>unspecified ziploc almost touching food
>granny plate
2/10 made me reply

>Don't fall for the "heat of the pasta will cook the eggs" meme. Sure, they will be edible, but the most deliciously creamy carbonara is achieved with heat control and time.
Squeamish faggot detected. This is well done steaks tier.

I had a cook recommend setting aside a small amount of the starchy pasta water to add add the end for more a sauce. On a scale of zero to heresy, how bad is this advice?

That was a trick promoted by the British "ministry of food" during the days of WWII rationing. The idea was to reduce waste of resources by re-using something you already had rather than using additional ingredients for your sauce.

I know for a fact that the Ministry of Food promoted that trick. Whether or not they invented it or just repeated it from some other source I have no idea.

Italians do it all the time.
Some sauces definitely need this (e.g. "garlic and oil"), with a few it's complete heresy.
Most stand in the middle: they don't need it, but they can benefit from it (if done properly).

Carbonara doesn't need it, but it can benefit a lot from it (depending on personal taste) and it can totally take a lot of water (if you mess up and add too much, just add more cheese).

What's considered a real heresy, for reasons unknown to me, is using starch that does not come from the pasta. I get that the cooking water should have the proper amount of salt, but... I don't get the difference.

significant only if using fresh pasta. Dried releases negligible gluten

Don not use smoked or salted bacon but fresh pork belly and slice it as finely as possible.

Keep the pan on low heat and fry the pepper first. Use lots of freshly ground black pepper, it's where the dish gets its name "Chimney Sweep style". Then introduce the pork and keep moving it around.

When the pasta is finished put a tablespoon of Mascarpone or clotted cream in the pork and let it melt. Add a dash of sherry and egg yolks. Only add finely crushes garlic when it is removed from heat. No onions!

Then immediately stir the sauce into the pasta.

Garnish with more Mascarpone, pepper, parsley, and chives.

Real carbonara actually doesn't have onion

Real Carbonara comes from the US troops entering starved Rome in WW2 with trucks full of egg powder and bacon. I would only use it as a rough guide.

>Real Carbonara comes from the US troops entering starved Rome in WW2 with trucks full of egg powder and bacon. I would only use it as a rough guide.

Are you the one who edited the Wiki entry today.

That's been on there forever. And no.

Funny how the article was changed today at 17:10

Look at the changelog, newb. Wikipedia track every comma individually.

Didn't really care enough, just a funny coincidence.

I wonder what happened to those other trucks full of peas and cream

You were sure enough that I was editing Wiki in order to troll you to insinuate as much over 2 posts 10 minutes apart.

>His parents made him believe the world revolves around him
We get those a lot around these parts.

Sorry my question bruised your feelings, I was musing about a interesting coincidence.

That's alright. Veeky Forums can be challenging. You'll get it eventually.

Why would you assume you mistakenly accusing him of editing wikipedia to fool you would hurt his feelings? This is the most bizarre way to save face I've seen in a while.

>Re. you, internet, intonation.

What's with the projecting? I eat steaks well done and have tried carbonara with thin, runny eggs. It's nicer if you cook it into a creamy (as opposed to watery) consistency.

The compression artifacts of your jpg trigger me more than the rest of your post. Well played.

Carbonara is delicious but everytime I make it I get a little bit paranoid about getting salmonella from the eggs or something I'm probably just a bitch

Depends, if you live in Japan it's common while in europe it's super rare.

>Use lots of freshly ground black pepper, it's where the dish gets its name "Chimney Sweep style".
No it's not. It comes from the Carbonari, the coal-miners who allegedly used to eat this because of how simple and filling it was and how the ingredients could be easily brought to work.

do you have a good recipe for genovese sauce? someone linked this video in a thread a while ago, but it's all in italian. I tried some recipes I found in english, but they didn't look the same at the end and I didn't like how it turned out.

youtube.com/watch?v=fT86XyBZyp0

Have you got a recipe or source for that pic. It looks very tasty.

It's pretty straightforward. Simmer it really long, all day if you can.

Thanks!

see
I had no pork so I fried a few shrimps and added some fish sauce.

when I tried making it the end result was watery and the individual ingredients were still recognizable instead of being oniony tar. did I just need to cook it down more?

My Italian is barely enough to order in a restaurant. But I think he says something about 10 hours.

It's basically beef chuck and onions, right? A chili isn't terribly different in that regard, and takes between four and six hours depending on the consistency you want.

It's a stew, not a chili.

the secret to a great carbonara is to put a LOT more pepper and a LOT more parmesan into it than you would usually do.
also, omit one egg-white, makes the whole ordeal a lot more creamy.

A chili is a stew though, and I was just making a comparison. If you want chuck to fall apart, let it simmer for a long time.

>fry the pepper
doesn't this reduce the aroma?

Chop bacon of various sizes, caramelize some onions and add in some minced garlic and cook for about a min, use only egg yolk for the sauce, and if at all possible, use real parmigiano-reggiano cheese. I also like curly parsley in mine. Also a hefty bit of black pepper, it's not nicknamed coal miner's spaghetti for nothing.

Just as a note this is my take on carbonara, I'm not aiming to be traditional or anything, just for the food to taste good.

>tfw you scrambled the eggs by accident

I don't even like eggs

Here's my jotted down recipe. Just use your fucking head of what you want to do. I actually prefer angel hear, but it takes a little more mixing to get it together:

Carbonara

Noodles under al dente
oil, panchetta, garlic, white wine
cream, salt, lots of black pepper
noodles (linguini?)
off heat, egg white, lots of pecarino romano
after cheese melts, throw in the egg yolk, stir, serve with more cheese

and yet not one thing listed has anything to do with the food OP made in any way what so ever. Good job.