When baking cornbread, would it be alright if I swap the buttermilk for regular milk...

When baking cornbread, would it be alright if I swap the buttermilk for regular milk? Will it just change the texture or will it taste funny?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2000/11/08/dining/test-kitchen-buttermilk-that-doesn-t-go-plop-plop.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it will taste less buttery

It will taste more milky

its not hard to make fake buttermilk
>There are a number of substitutes for buttermilk in baking. For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.

What if I increase the amount of butter I put in? Would it still work?

depends on how you're making your cornbread

if you're using baking soda to leaven it, then you can't substitute buttermilk, since the acid from the buttermilk is an important part of the chemical reaction that adds air into your bread. Without it you'll get dense bread.

if you're using yeast to leaven it then it's just a flavor thing.

Thanks for a good answer.

Alright,so I think if I leave out the baking soda and instead add an extra teaspoon of baking powder, I can pull it off with milk. I might post again in this thread once I'm done.

Sugar or no sugar? Which one,Veeky Forums?

You'll need to add something acidic for the baking soda to react with, either cream of tartar or lemon juice will work. 1 3/4 tsp of cream of tartar to one cup milk will do the trick.

Just put it into the oven. Hoping and praying

enjoy your corn cake op

Thanks bud.

Isn't buttermilk the stuff left over when you make butter? So milk with much of the fat removed.

>Isn't buttermilk the stuff left over when you make butter?

Originally, yeah, it was. And the distinctive feature of it was that due to the time required to make the butter it started to lacto-ferment and developed an acidic taste. That's the key to buttermilk--the acidity.

But these days butter production is industrialized and made by a different method. Buttermilk these days is milk (either skim or full-fat) which has had had an acid or a lacto-bacterial culture added to it

Fuck yeah, sugar! Sweet cornbread is the best cornbread.

Sweet is good, but fuck sugar. Use sorghum or molasses instead for a much better flavor.

It's out of the oven! If anything,it smells really good.

I'll give it a few minutes to cool down and then I'll give you the verdict.

Forgot pic.

Looked a bit undercooked so I threw it back in for a few.

Wa la

looks edible

whatchu eating it with

Nothing really. Any tips?

(It's not sugary cornbread either,keep in mind)

Some stewed okra would work pretty well, same for slow-cooked green beans with bacon. Anything that has sauce or sauce-like consistence, basically.

Thanks

What recipe do you use OP?

2 cups of cornmeal
1 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 tablespoon of salt
3 eggs
2 cups of milk
2 teaspoons of melted butter

Stir the flour and cornmeal in a bowl,add salt and baking powder

Beat 3 eggs,then add milk and mix

Pour the egg mix into the bowl and stir,then add melted butter.

Whisk it until it's a thick batter,then put into an oven at 350F for 1 hour.

Give it 10 minutes to cool

Thanks, how did the density it turn out with the doubled baking powder?

Turned out fine. There are some improvements I can do in the future however,the bread was a bit moist.

It's fine, but buttermilk is superior.

no sugar

this is corn bread not corn cake.

what if he substitutes baking powder for baking soda?

2 cups of milk feels like it has to be too much liquid for a dry mix that has less than half that of flour (cornmeal is far less absorbent/thickening than standard wheat flour). I'd cut out at least a quarter cup desu

what was the consistency like when you put it into the oven?

OP in the future buy a jar of this which isn't perishable like buttermilk is and actually contains the original culture as was alluding to which gives it a stronger flavor for cooking and baking (you typically can't reconsitute it to a liquid to drink straight though).
nytimes.com/2000/11/08/dining/test-kitchen-buttermilk-that-doesn-t-go-plop-plop.html

Even Walmart carries it on the bottom shelf of their baking aisle.

I always just use milk with lemon juice in it instead of buttermilk, is there a big taste difference?

>voila
lrn2french

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

baking powder is baking soda with acid added to it so it should be able to replace the need for buttermilk for acid.

like someone else said, you can also add vinegar or lemon juice as well

honestly doesnt look that bad

Hey buddy, how's your first day going?

No sugar. If you want sugar, have some honey or syrup with it after cooking

Yeah,it was a bit too liquidity putting it in. I'll definitely cut back on milk in the future.

It's finally happened. Someone on Veeky Forums is correct.

>doesnt know that buttermilk has less fat than whole milk

Add a tsp of lemon juice per cup of milk and let it sit for 10 minutes. You now have buttermilk. The acid will also help leaven the bread if using bicarbonate of sofa/

It's a meme you dip

Interesting, what brand of meal?