Hey Veeky Forums I don't go here often but I just read Fahrenheit 451 and it fucking blew my mind...

Hey Veeky Forums I don't go here often but I just read Fahrenheit 451 and it fucking blew my mind, I just love how it deconstructed the psychology of conformity and group think. Does anyone know any similar novels about the dangers of conformity and how social conforms can harm?

Other urls found in this thread:

suppressiveperson.org/sp/archives/144
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1984 and Brave new world come to mind. I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I know.

I've read both of them, probably should've added that to my post but yeah they're great.

I also loved Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Was it the first book you've ever read or something?

So what if it was, faggot?

I've heard its praise many times. Yet to read it, though.

I really haven't read that much, I usually just listen to music and watch film, I am a rookie when it comes to literature.

I still fail to see how I would be such a pleb for enjoying Fahrenheit though, if it's so bad to you I would love to hear some recommendations for books that do what it was trying to better?

I didn't enjoy it as much as Farenheit but still I found it to be incredibly thought provoking. I think it's structure and overall style is a little clunky but what it's saying is immensely substantive in the topics of psychology and social norms

Start with the Greeks.

Wow you sure got me there, I was more thinking novels tho

Are you 12?

You won't understand any good books unless you have a solid foundation

>the dangers of conformity

What a boring concept for a book.

Farenheit 451 isn't really about conformity though is it? It's something a lot deeper than that.

Just thought of one: Oryx and Crake. It's like Farenheit 451 but for the moot generation

Obligatory nod to Zamyatin's We.

It's the book Veeky Forumserates love to recommend to make sure everyone else knows they've read a dystopian novel that isn't 1984 or Brave New World. It really is terrific, though. You"d probably enjoy it.

Hey OP you're gonna get a lot of replies from pseuds who are insecure about how little literature they've read and thus will leap at the rare opportunity to attack someone on this board whom they perceive as inferior to themselves. I apologize in advance.

Lord of the Flies deals with groupthink but does it better imo.

Anthem by Rand is what you're looking for OP. Don't listen to people who hate it because it's Rand; it's nothing like her longer works stylistically and it only deals with individualism, not full Objectivism.

Seconding Anthem. I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of literary excellence, but that was maybe the first of several books that really changed me, and Anthem may have induced the most dramatic change. It wouldn't have been as effective or powerful for me if I'd been older or more well read; being impressionable and edgy made me more receptive to it, but I still value what it has to say.

>lord of the flies

I could never get into it for some reason, maybe becuase reading it as a highschooler I didn't like feeling inferior to a bunch of grade schoolers on an Island.

I prefer Animal Farm, OP.

Hm? What made you feel inferior?

Getting into Veeky Forums as well, OP. I'm just following the wiki.

Out of the starter kit, I would say that the dystopia's portrayed by Huxley and Orwell seem more salient to today's world. The spying using technology was well covered by Orwell, but as I'm reading Huxley, I'm finding very similar attributes of hedonism degrading society. There was plenty to derive from all of the books, but it sounds like you enjoyed that aspect. I'm still not literate, so YMMV.

>YMMV
thanks for the reccs lads, sorry for replying so l8, the thread i'll probably 404 anytime now, I'm usually over at /mu/ so I guess if you guys ever want music reccs I'm down for that

I really fail to see how that's a boring concept, it's such a pivotal part of human nature and literally impacts everyone. And I get obviously there's more to Farenheit but imo groupthink and conformity would be main themes of the novel

wow I want to be like you one day you know that, you're just so cool

OP, again soz I forgot to ask, is Rand hated here? I was really looking forward to reading Fountainhead it sounded really great

suppressiveperson.org/sp/archives/144

OP will never become patrician, its okay, stay le noided friendo.