So Veeky Forums, do you read multiple books at once?

So Veeky Forums, do you read multiple books at once?

I try not to, but if I'm reading a huge ass tome then I'll start reading other books inbetween. I think I read like 5 books while reading Brothers Karamazov.

Yes. I will read something more comfy and something more challenging side by side and pick one depending on my mood.

>a confederacy of dunces at the bottom
>botns third from the bottom
can't place the rest.

Usually, yes. On the go I prefer ebooks (on my phone) or small books, at home I prefer print books (and size doesn't matter). Then I sometimes prefer non-fiction, or something more light, etc.
As a result I end up reading about 3-5 books at the same time usually.

Yeah, way too many. Reading Clausewitz, Worm Ouroboros, RotTK, the Iliad and still on Ego. And I want to move on to Hegel, Plato and Marx.

I usually don't. But like other anons, I try to read more comfortable literature in between heavy tomes (especially if I've left these thick books at home and I wanted to waste time).

I'm usually a monogamous reader, however.

Lmao this. Karamazovs are so slow to read.
Which books are those? Looks like some philosophy?

im majoring in philosophy, so yes, i got to
if its for university i rarely read the whole book, mostly about 60 percent
fiction, it depends, if its short then no, if it isnt then usually yes, and i dont finish anything that bores me twice

Never more than 2 books at once. You don't want to be so spread thin that you never finish anything.

Got the pic from internet. The first one is from Mary Beard i believe.

I usually pick 2 books (1 harder,and 1 easier)
and I switch between them whenever I need refreshing
Reding books in pairs is the system that worked the best for me.

I find that it's a good experience if the two books have a similar theme/subject matter to them.

I read Heart of Darkness and Blood Meridian simultaneously for example.

I often read non-fiction with many volumes, so I often read another book in between. I'm currently in the middle of a rather difficult 12-tomes series, with like 400 pages each. I'm lucky if I finish it by the end of the year.

you can't give page count and not title, whats it about

I'm only about 1/3rd through tkb and I've read 2 other books in-between. Glad I'm not the only one

It's not in English, I'm a French speaker. It's an history of the Roman emperors, from Augustus to Constantine. I'm currently going through the fifth one which covers Galba/Otho/Vitellius.

A novel and nonfiction yes. Never two novels at the same time, feel like it creates too much brain clutter.

Plus I read slow as shit so if I read two at once I'd half my speed.

anything fun?

Typically just one novel at a time with poetry and maybe a short story sprinkled in. If I'm reading nonfiction book, I will read a novel with it. I have taken breaks in Crime and Punishment and in Ulysses to read other books.

Yeah, usually something like this. I won't quickly flip flop back and forth between books. But sometimes when reading really long ones (e.g. Brothers Karamazov) I will put those down somewhere midway through and read something short (

Yes. I usually read 1 or 2 books at a time, usually ones that deal with the same themes. For example I read All Quiet on The Western Front and Journey to The End of The Night recently. I'll usually listen to non-fiction audio books at work, too.

This

I started reading Don Quixote and moved on to reading notes from underground.

Used to read fiction, nonfic, and sometimes poetry together. Don't have the energy so much anymore. Sometimes I'll read some essays alongside a novel, but usually I just focus on fiction

It depends if you consider listening to audiobooks as reading.

When i'm at home, i read only one book, and then listen to audiobooks on my way to college and other places.

I've been reading Summa Theologica for 6 months with nothing else in between.

Absolute madman.
Is it good?

I think it's brilliant. Part 2 can be a bit of a slog though. I've been 'almost finished' with part 2 for like 3 weeks now. It's tedious to say the least.

its not easy but ive heard a few people that can do it read a physical book meanwhile listening to a seperate audio-book

You need a special brain for that I think.
But it sounds horrible.

I read a section of a norton anthology every day on top of the books I read regularly. So sort of. I generally avoid reading multiple books at once otherwise, though it can help you avoid distraction. Like once you get bored of one book, instead of doing something else, just switch to the other book.

Yeah, it's very entertaining. It's told as a story, with many details, personal comments, anecdotes and such. All the characters' schemes are broadly described, as are the wars, and each information is backed up with references and in-line Latin/Greek source. It's much more lively than what I learned back in school. The main drawback however is that the text was written in 1750. His orthography is irregular and his prose a bit strange. It requires some preparation.

this is Rain Man tier. I don't think anyone can just learn to do this. You have to be born with the brain for it.

While reading Blood Meridian I was also reading the autobio of Helen Keller and short stories by Kafka and Borges here and there.
I dont think it's abnormal

shit I can't even listen to music while reading a book

I laughed pretty hard at this.

ah, i want to get into reading some history, i feel like my overall knowledge of pretty much everything is lacking.
do you have any recs for an english speaker?

I'm sorry, I don't read anything in English. Besides, I'm more focused on anything between the Greek colonization and the Renaissance. I don't know much about modern era. I have a translation of a world's history by Swedish historian Carl Gustaf Grimberg in 12 volumes, which is pretty good. It doesn't explore each chapter with the amount of details I like but I'm sure an English translation can be found, and you would clearly have a far higher than usual knowledge of history if you achieve it.

As a student, I have to juggle around books for my classes, but for personal reading, I elect to read two books at once -- one fiction and one nonfiction. Of course, there are exceptions, and when I read doorstoppers or dense texts I will soley focus on that text.

*looks left*

yea about more than 1/3 in

Sneggaryov

with multiple languages in me I lol'd hard at this. Described as a poor piece of shit, my mind's thinking

S-neggar-y-ov

s/z by itself is a preposition - "from"
neggar from Germanic "nigger"
-y Slavic suffix distinguishing posession
ov Latin for "eggs"

So when I read it my philology busted in with dude's name means "from the eggs of a nigger" or " ...(internetting)Smerdyakov = Niggerson"

now being redefiled as
"from shit jackoff"
or possibly
"shittycum"

In all cases, this moment alone - given the preface warns of campy endeavor - was worth the dedication of time IMO. A masterKEK hidden in the wood.

correction*

CAPTAIN Snegiryov!!!!!!

I generally have one slow read which is usually philosophy running at the same time as whatever fiction book I'm reading at the time

Yes, I read to study languages so I usually have about 3 going at any one time. Only one will be long, and the rest short stories, shorter novels, essays, or plays.

Right now:
Kierkegaard - Fear and Trembling
Sartre - La Nausée
Dazai - Schoolgirl

Yes I do,
I also have a place where I read each one, I read my space/astronomy books at the public library, classic works at my old school library, and historical personal interest books in bed at home.

Oh damn.

Only if all of it is fiction.

Other books require pure uninterrupted study.

Yes sir

I prefer finishing one before starting one though