I'm trying to compile a list of the best and most important writers of both modernism and postmodernism

I'm trying to compile a list of the best and most important writers of both modernism and postmodernism.

Modernism-
Joyce
Proust
Eliot
Pound
Faulkner
Hemingway
Fitzgerald
Stein
Yeats
Stevens
Beckett
Barnes
Conrad
Williams
Woolf
Auden
Borges
Cummings
Crane

Postmodern-
Gaddis
Gass
DeLillo
Pynchon
Wallace
Burroughs
Calvino
McElroy
Roth
Heller

Who am I missing? I know I have huge gaps in poetry and plays.

me

What you're missing:

Modernism:
Ford Maddox Ford
Thomas Wolfe
Flann O'Brien
Hermann Broch
Thomas Mann
Franz Kafka
[Insert name of someone I haven't heard of here]

Postmodernism:
John Barth
Donald Barthelme
Robert Coover
Raymond Federman
Alexander Theroux
Ronald Sukenick
D. Keith Mano
John Hawkes
Gilbert Sorrentino
Stephen Dixon
David Markson
Harry Mathews
Arno Schmidt
Raymond Queneau
Georges Perec
Jacques Roubaud
Gil Orlovitz
William T. Vollmann
Roberto Bolano
A.G. Porta
Thomas Bernhard

this

Add Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Mallarmé, who are more important individually than the sum of those English writers.

The real question who's on the list of the best and most important writers of metamodernism...?

Bernhard is not Pomo u filthy pleb

Except for late Mallarmé, the rest isn't modern. They predate the movement, yes, but aren't.

There's a lack of Roussel, Artaud, Döblin, Szentkuthy and Pavić t b h.

It depends how you view his work. I could make the same argument that Gass is late modern, but, for all intents and purposes, it's better to just go by op's definitions.

> Delillo, Roth, Heller are Postmodern

OP here. Heller and Roth are arguable. DeLillo is not.

You are missing Karl Ove Knausgård

>no Kafka
>no Mann
>no Corncob
>no DFW
End it my dude.

>Doesn't know what the w stands for in DFW

There's nothing post-modern about Delillo's technique.

The argument is "Well, his content is similar to Pynchon and he published in the 80s, HES POMO."

retards

>implying McCarthy is postmodern, not neo-romantic

Ok, I'll bite. What do you consider postmodern technique?

Techniques have nothing to do with the the classification of an author; if they did, the vast majority of postmodernists would be classified as modernist, because they use techniques and styles from modernism, like stream-of-consciousness and metafiction.

White Noise and Underworld are both quintessential postmodern works.

The name Sherwood Anderson never comes up, but basically every major American modernist writer cites him as a huge influence. His book Winesburg, Ohio in particular.

can't you read you daff cunt?
he says wallace right there

Is that really worth reading? Is it that important to modernism? I get a corncobby feeling, just wanted to make sure.

If you are studying modernism or something look into Wagner. Guy launched a thousand modernist ships!

Winesburg is superb, and had a major influence on Hemingway, pretty sure Stein was a big fan of it too, think she wrote about making fun of Hemingway with Anderson over how he came to spurn them.

I feel like postmodernism is characterized by an often soulless deconstruction of earlier forms through different forms of pastiche. And don't really feel like dellilo fits that bill. I've seen Barnes and Joyce referred to as early examples of postmodernism, but their work is full of soul.

The unemotional aspect isn't exactly a requirement, but I've noticed it in what I've read from Barthelme, Coover, and Ishmael Reed, who I'm not sure was included on the list above. Even DFW doesn't have as much pathos as people give him credit for.

why are you making a list if all you know is who everyone knows?

this desu

also kafka you dumb fuck

>Baudelaire
I hate that guy

I see what you mean, but you should just keep in mind: there really isn't definitive definition of postmodernism; no one--not even Wallace, not even Gass--really knows what to make of it; so playing pin-the-tail-on-the-postmodernism is pretty pointless, especially if, like some, you believe the difficulty to do so is an inherent trait of the movement itself. Besides, in their own way, McElroy and Gass and Gaddis--especially Gaddis, in my opinion--have as much pathos as Faulkner and Joyce did, albeit a less optimistic kind.

Heller is core postmodern lit.

Modernism : Gracq, Gary, Sebald, Kawabata, Mauriac, Perec, Paz, Céline, Saramago

What about DH Lawrence?

Pomo: Renata Adler

>'best postmodern authors'
>lists only americans, slips in Calvino for balance, probably didn't even read it

God, you Americans are truly self-important bastards, aren't you.

Modernism-wise, there's Mina Loy, Djuna Barnes, Walter Benjamin

coming from a Bernhard scholar i would definitely classify him as a modernist. Some even called him 'the last modernist'. But I get that a lot of people like to separate the division of modern and postmodern with a date rather than as distinct styles. Makes it easier i suppose

Kafka
Brecht
Updike
McCarthy
Barth
Barthelme
Nabokov
(Tom Stoppard)
(Tzara)

I don't think Calvino is a 'postmodern' writer

he plays a little bit with metafiction, most notably in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, but there is none of the intertextuality or metanarrative skepticisms

most of his shit is just like clever folktale pastiche

top kek

It's basically Steinbeck or Hemingway writing about conspiracy theories. There's 0 post-modern technique in Delillo.

Giving characters retarded names.

>McCarthy

He's anti-modernist. His aesthetics are a direct rejection of modernist techniques.

I agree DeLillo is not a postmodernist writer, but you are very off course if you think he is a conspiracy writer.

> Sebald is po-mo

what the literal fuck

>style aping hemingway and faulkner
>focus on form and theme over narrative
>portrays the subjective
>somehow not modernist

>and and and and and
I don't completely think so, bucko.

>PoMo
>meaning anything but "after modernism"

Look up intertextuality, historiographic metafiction, read 'Austerlitz' and then come back at me, senpai.

read 3 of his books and his short story/essay collection

he's modernist

you're on drugs if you think he's po-mo

simple as that

He wants you to.

>no Dorothy Richardson

Haha, good one OP. Really got me.