What happens during aging that makes old people completely terrible to dine out with?

What happens during aging that makes old people completely terrible to dine out with?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Naggers

Remembering the meals that they had in their youth.

Those meals may have been average, even generally subpar, but they are associated with recollection of the vigour and hope of youth. Also, they tie food with the people, the friends and family, that are distant or forever gone.

Those meals, those memories of meals are central to the idea of the life that has been lived. Even a lunch counter ham sandwich with a couple of work acquaintances fifty years ago overwhelms the mind with the person that was. The person who was going to do their best, work hard, have a loving family and make the world better for their kids and grand kids.

Then they end up in the ass end of suburbia, shelling out $14 for a damn sandwich and forced to listen to their autistic grandson rant about how meat is murder and America needs to nationalize the railroads.

Fuck, we barely even have railroads now.

Also, taste cells die and old people are tired all the time but can't sleep.

They only can't asleep because they're afraid the reaper will get then there

I think it's simpler than this Old people know what they like and tend to be particular about it. A young person will put up with people being that particular if they're sexy, but old people are not sexy, so it just comes off as annoying.

Death gets us all in the end, when and wherever.

So does them knowing it's an inevitability even closer than ever expected, the main reason why they are such shits?

Why do you like what you like?

Is it only because it stimulates cells in your mouth? Is there no possibility that enjoyment is, at least in part, based upon the context of consumption?

I blueberry pie only good because it's good or can it matter that it was made by somebody you care for and eaten around a table of friends? Can food be more than just flavor?

What if all those things, the love, the life to be, and even most of the flavor is lost to the ravages of time? What then is food? Would you not rage against the dying of the light?

Probably.

Neuroplacicity decline leading to more rigid tastes. Experience telling them to stop being so sensitive and stop giving such a fuck. And, at the later stages, slight dementia where anything that isn't what they're used to makes them immediately feel uncomfortable and react.

Just order an extra drink and enjoy your folks, guys.

>Remembering the meals that they had in their youth.
>Those meals may have been average, even generally subpar
Except that modern farming practices and genetic engineering has produced bigger and more colourful fresh produce at the expense of taste and nutrition. So the meals that they remember would be superior to the meals they're eating today.
It's why a lot of old people have their own vegetable garden in their back yard.

Foamer scum.

I am almost old. For this board I'm already there. My sense of taste is still sharp - I can taste a dish in a restaurant and pretty reliably reverse engineer it at home, given a few attempts. But some things I'm just over, and I could see how that could be annoying to a wide eyed person younger than me. I don't give a fuck about fast food anymore. I don't give much of a fuck about fine dining. In both cases it's kind of a been there, done that thing. I don't give a fuck about whether or not a place is trendy, because why should I care? I'm past that as well. I just give a fuck about the kitchen starting out with good ingredients, preparing them with at least a little display of skill and the bill being a fair price (or better a little value) for the experience.

I can appreciate how I could come off like a curmudgeon to a young diner excited to try out some trendy place they've heard about. Which is why when I dine out with younger people I choose the place, I order for the table and I pick up the bill. That way everybody's happy.

Go back to /pol/.

Why?

Veeky Forums is the place for nagging housewives, friendo.

He said naggers you nigger.

>Except that modern farming practices and genetic engineering has produced bigger and more colourful fresh produce at the expense of taste and nutrition
[citation needed]

>tell gramps I'm going to the deli for some fresh salami
>THAT SHIT IS MADE OF LOST CHILDREN AND DEAD DOG! DON'T YOU DARE BUY ON THAT PLACE!

I remember having to pass 4 different stores to buy eggs with him, just because ther other 3 weren't "good". And everytime he had a small argument with the restaurant we ate, we had to change our "favourite" local for the time being until he forgot the incident or was peckish for a certain plate that was only served there.

Old people....can be picky.

"Today isn't yesterday"
"This pasta isn't meatloaf!"
"This isn't my chair"
"They don't cook like my wife did."

this amused me immensely

www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/tomato/jashs1098.pdf
www.ogtr.gov.au/internet/ogtr/publishing.nsf/content/banana-3/$FILE/biologybanana08.pdf
www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-fruits-and-vegetables-looked-like-before-we-domesticated-them
Veeky Forums.org/pass

>What happens during aging that makes old people completely terrible to dine out with?
Nothing?

My grandmother, when she got dementia, which lasted 8 years, the last 3 of which were in a full nursing care facility.
She still:
Said please, and thank you to waitstaff.
Put her napkin in her lap.
Didn't chew with her mouth open.
Blotted her lips between bites.
And, always knew if the food was actually quality or not. She knew a good steak right up until the end, or if a pie crust was soggy.
At some point, she got a little shaky with the fork, and had trouble swallowing (typical with end stage dementia), but if you had tried to serve her baby food, she'd had been vocal about not liking her food pureed. Serving her foods that were supposed to be soft, whether a shake, ice cream, or mashed potatoes was fine, though.

So, I don't think being a horror in a restaurant is par for the course old people. I think you just have to have grown up with manners to keep them when your faculties might fade. Everyone loved her at the facility for her sincerity in her thankful polite attitude.

I do have a parent who gets a bit more finicky about restaurant choices, but I think if you've lived long enough you have no time or patience for some of the slop in chains today, whether Olive Garden or Outback. My dad won't eat at the latter because "too much meat tenderizer." When you can cook better on the grill than any restaurant (me), it spoils your parents I guess.

>They don't cook like my wife did.

sad and hilarious at the same time

Fucking kek'd, 10/10

America has one of the most developed railroad systems in the world... we just use it for freight instead of passengers

>CommunityChannel

Natalie Tran is one of the only women I find funny. Most women are terribly unfunny, painfully unfunny even. She actually manages to make me laugh with her videos on a fairly consistent basis though.

this is a great question OP. i had a lovely grandmother in all aspects of the word. her one flaw, was that she was awfully rude to waitstaff, and i have no idea why. it seemed that when the waiter would come around, she would become a completely different person. she was always extremely kind to all other strangers and customer service people. just something about waiters she didnt like... i have no idea what her problem was.

>I order for the table

Geez Gramps just because your taste is going doesn't mean you need to force it on everyone else.

Except old people will be using the same seeds as their GM infested garbage, so it's going to taste the exact same regardless.

>he doesn't have a million goyim souls lined up to pronlong his life until transhumanism takes off

Memories

They've seen too much. They know too much. And all that life experience makes them impatient, especially when dealing with dumb-asses.