Lets talk about Cumin

and why it's the shit-tier spice.

Seriously am I the only one that just has this weird fucking repulsion to this spice?
I feel like I'm the fucking human cumin radar and I can smell it in anything even if its just a pinch.

Can't stand it, Anyone else.

Cumin lovers how can I find love in this spice?

Some people love it, some hate it.
I don't know anyone in between.
I for one fucking hate it. It's supposed to be healthy as fuck though.

I love it in dishes when it's combined with other spices but on its own it's like a little bottle of concentrated body odor

Used in a lot of Indian food so I like it.

It can be a bit polarizing like caraway seed. I like it best combined with other spices. I use it a lot in Mexican and Western Chinese/Central Asian recipes.

funny enough both cumin and carraway physically look extremely similar to one another

I have no idea how anyone could dislike cumin.

You forget that this board is fully open about the fact that it doesn't like it's food to touch one another and takes it's steak well done.

If you hate cumin, it because you used too much. It's a note, not a song.

Fuckin' deado!

Yeah man i hate cumin, and it seems like people these days, my friends, my family, hell, even my own GF...they just LOVE cumin! cumin over here, cumin over there, cumin everywhere and in everything, like come on have some decency

The only time I ever use cumin is when I make black beans.

This.

OP, cumin rounds out the flavors of a large mix of spices. You can't just eat cumin alone.

That being said, cumin soda is a thing. It's even popular. I guess some people just have broken mouths.

OP here, Its really not for lack of trying plus I don't just put cumin in by the bucket load or anything I'm seriously revolted by it and I haven't got a single clue at all, Means I can't really stand indian food at all due to this fact.
Fair enough if you guys love the stuff, Seriously not trying to have a dig at anyones tastes here just expressing my distaste haha.

Cumin soda sounds so disgusting dear god..

Glad to see I'm not alone haha, Same for my family and friends they adore it in food and I just can't even stand the smell of it even slightly.

You can cook plenty of pretty standard indian food without it. You'll have to avoid most north Indian stuff though admittedly

I put it in everything, I put that shit on toast

OP I moved to Mexico after growing up in the southwest U.S. and I thought I knew Mexican food. I met my wife in Mexico and took her for a trip to meet my family, we eat the texmex style mexican in the states. " Why the fuck does all the "mexican" food here smell like ass and armpits "? she asks, I ponder and realize its the cumin. In much of Mexico it is rarely use but anything mexican in the states is full of it. Shit a bowl of chili is a bowl of cumin stew.

Pretty sure that's a texmex thing, I never noticed much cumin in american mexican food, except that I avoid texmex religiously

Have you tried ground cumin? It's a bit less intense than the seeds, and becomes more of a background taste when you cook with it.

A dash of cumin in something is fine, use it as one of the main spices or put too much and MEAL RUINED.
I am disgusted by the flavor of cumin overall.

try the indian varieties, there are many. arab cumin is shit tier, like everything else that comes from there

Lol when i sweat, i smell exactly like cumin.

it really comes down to how you use it and what you put it with. One of my favorite spice blends is mostly ground cumin and cinnamon.

>chili
>mexican

>I can't really stand indian food
That's more than I'd be willing to put up with. I used to feel similarly about cilantro, then I realized some cuisines I really liked used it pretty commonly. So over several months I conditioned myself past the aversion. Now I love the stuff. If I were in your shoes I'd be doing the same thing with cumin so I didn't miss out on so much delicious Indian and Middle Eastern food.

No jokes with cumin' yet
gg

Completely agree, I used to hate anything with the tiniest amount, now I developed a bit of tolerance to it

I like it but it's way too overwhelming
I only use it in chili

you missed

as did this guy

To me it just reminds me of Mexican food.

When I first got into cooking I legit hated it, but it grows on you after awhile. It can play well with other spices provided you don't throw in too much.

This.

I have never seen such a profoundly misunderstood spice/ingredient with home cooks.

Cumin is amazing, but in the right dose and paired with appropriate seasonings.

Goto allrecipes or food com and every recipe callsfor 3-4x the amount that should be used or is the only spice

They come from pretty much the same plant, just different types

This. My grandma is Mexican AF, she uses cumin in tons of stuff. Not usually by itself though, as some anons seem to think.

Cumin + chili powder is a great base/start for pretty much any meat.

I'm from a Mexican family so I grew up around it. I use it in nearly all of my dishes. When paired with the right spices and used in moderation it is wonderful.

That's because you add way too much of it, which makes the food taste like medicine

They added too much
This

Cumin day and night.

>Seriously am I the only one that just has this weird fucking repulsion to this spice?
>I feel like I'm the fucking human cumin radar and I can smell it in anything even if its just a pinch.
It's kind of the B.O. of spices. Stinky locker room smell and taste. A small amount in chili is mostly where I use it, but it's not something I'd omit. It can be very overdone, especially in Indian food.

This so much. Why do you amerifats believe cumin is our main spice? Shit, we only use it for like 2 or 3 dishes.

Cumin is pretty good on skewers.

is that why indians always smell like cumin? or do they like cumin because they smell like it?

This, and sometimes when I'm making tacos or something else mexican/indian, which usually involves said beans. OP, what have you used it in?

>black beans
>salt/pepper
>cumin
>bay leaf
>maybe some cilantro or onions
>add seeds of a couple of your favorite pepper, eat the pepper while you wait
>throw in some kiolbasa or bacon

and you're on your way to one delicious fucking side

I absolutely love cumin. It's what makes Mexican food Mexican imo. The only thing I hate cumin in is hummus. I don't give one shit if it's "not hummus without cumin".

This. Exactly this.
It's an essential spice, but must be used in moderation and in specific dishes.

I live in an area with a high concentration of indians, middle easterners, and every other kind of asian, and I've NEVER seen cumin in hummus here. I think that is a new world addition.

Back when I was trying hummus recipes for the first time, almost every recipe I looked at called for hummus with even middle eastern bloggers swearing by it. I don't see the appeal. It ruins hummus imo. Ironically I do think cumin (along with salt pepper and garlic powder) tastes great on roasted chickpeas.

Called for cumin**

Because it's all over TexMex cooking for some reason, most likely because it ended up in some popular chili seasoning blends that then went on to be used in the rest of the cooking there.

I believe it gives an earthy touch to some soups and stews (besides indian food ofc). I like it, but just like parsley it can ruin anything if you put too much of it. Usually 1/4 teaspoon is enough every 3-4 servings.

>Cumin is what makes Mexican food Mexican
>Actual Mexicans say it barely exists in Mexico

I have always wondered about this, but do you start to smell like the spice that you eat a lot of?

Is that the thing that makes curry smell so tough?

cumin my mouth senpai

cumin is one of those things that the Arabs brought over in the 1800s/early 1900s along with shwarma and kebabs- it's been adopted culturally and is present enough where I consider it Mexican. Same goes for tacos de trompo and al pastor.