What are some essential books about music?

What are some essential books about music?

I think I should tell you guys that I'm not some moronic shitposter from /mu/, in order to ensure that this thread isn't derailed by discussion of that board.

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=The Oxford History of Western Music&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Oxford History of Western Music by Richard Taruskin

Great shit, but utterly fucking ridiculous to try to buy though. Get from a library.

OP, also check out Music in the Castle of Heaven by John Gardiner.

There are also other ways you can obtain it...

Anyone got something a little more concise than this?

I like Ted Gioia's The History of Jazz.

The Teaching Company courses /Understanding the Fundamentals of Music/ and /How to Listen to and Understand Great Music/ by Robert Greenberg

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=The Oxford History of Western Music&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def

All volumes are present here. Enjoy.

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

What to Listen for In Music by Aaron Copland

I think there was a David Byrne book a few years ago called How Music Works, and I don't know if you're looking for fiction, but Julian Barnes just came out with a book on Shostakovich called Noise of Time.

Is anyone familiar with the book in the op? Is it any good?

>gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=The Oxford History of Western Music&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def

But user, that would be illegal.

I haven't read the book itself, but Alex Ross is an excellent music writer (usually writes for the New Yorker), so it's probably great. It's about 20th century art music, which is an interesting subject.

I've read it and it really is a pretty good resource for putting 20th century composers in context. Warning: although the title makes you think it is about 20th century music (which could include a lot of stuff) it's like 99% about classical tradition 20th century music, think Stravinsky, Prokoviev, Shostakovich, Webern, Copland, Schoenberg, Boulez, Messaien, Poulenc, Steve Reich, Leonard Bernstein, Philip Glass, and so on. This is the kind of book you really want to read with Youtube open nearby so you can listen to sound clips as you go. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in the subject matter.

peter guralnick's sweet soul music

If you just want a quick intro to music history and theory, the best you're going to do is these:

bless you, I hope you have a great week :)

Nietzsche - The Birth of Tragedy
Heidegger has a piece on art as well.

Gradus ad Parnassum
WTK vol. I
WTK vol. II
Missa Papae Marcelli

All you need to understand music.

Well that is at least to understand art music and how we got where we are now.

If you want to look into the primitive and IMO the way forward, see von Helmholtz "On the Sensations of Tone" and Harry Partch's "Genesis of a Music".

Are there any good books on no wave/post-punk or the NY underground in general?

Just started 'Rip it up and start again' but it's more UK and US-oriented in general rather than about the NY scene specifically

this is what I was looking for
thank you