/smg/ - Stock Market General

Snapchat is the new gold edition

Popular brokers for stock trading:
Robinhood
>commission free and no minimum to open
robinhood.com

> How is it free?
Robinhood earns revenue by collecting interest on cash/securities and fees from their Robinhood Gold service

> It's been X days, why isn't my account verified yet?
Not being approved in 3 days seems to be the new norm. Nevertheless, call/email their support if you've been waiting more than that.

> When is it coming to my country?
The only "plans" are on an Australian and Chinese beta. Neither of which has gained much traction.

Interactive Brokers
>$1 commission per 100 shares. $10k minimum to open, $3k if 25 or under. Lowest margin interest. Free API access
interactivebrokers.com

TD Ameritade
>$6.95 commission per trade. No minimum to open. Fantastic data/charting through their free ThinkorSwim service
tdameritrade.com

Degiro (Cheap broker for Europeans)
degiro.eu

Free in depth charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Movers:
nasdaq.com/extended-trading/premarket-mostactive.aspx

Earnings Report Calendar:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Previous Thread

This is a boring question, but how does rising inflation affect gold prices? Also how do rising interest rates affect gold prices?

FUCK

Gold and USD have inverse correlation

USD drops, gold rises and vice versa

Interest rate is said to influence the USD, so it should influence gold price indirectly. But in my opinion, that is not the case currently

The best correlation now is the USD price

With everyone thinking we are going to have another recession, i'm surprised more people aren't stocking up on gold.

Would increasing interest rates decrease the price of gold, because it makes hold bonds and income assets more attractive?

The inverse correlation with USD makes sense, but I'm concerned about buying gold right now because of the rising interest rates

Buy WM, they said.
Countercyclical, they said.
Recession proof, they said.
Literally can't go wrong.

literally nobody thinks that but retards

WM has been pretty solid for the last 3 months, I don't understand why you think the sky is falling.
Good to hear

Cola-san I didnt know you could moon this hard...

I meant WMT.

Yeah thats a totally different story, especially if you got in at least a month ago.

the waltons need to pump this shit fast before it goes to 80

So, did /smg/ listen and get in on the KTOS train?

Great ER.

I didn't, I should have. Taking a break from meme stocks, I can live with myself letting this one pass.

In fact, I think recession is far from happening. The US economy is strong and is creating value and productivity. What is happening is deleveraging and the game for Trump and Powell is to do it smoothly.

In my view, gold and bitcoin have the same fundamental : people's belief and superstition. You stock on gold when you know there is hyperinflation. Gold has been rising for some time now but not much is pointing to hyperinflation.

How I would play gold ? If you are bearish on equities and USD but you are too much of a pussy to short stocks, I would convert a part of my cash in gold (IAU or GLD etf). Either you gain some value, either you end up with the same amount. I heard JPY is good to hold during USD bear market.

>tl;dr portfolio allocation : a part in stocks of solid companies, a part in gold, a part cash in JPY

Interest rising is a part of the plan by Trump and Powell. They precisely want company and people to deleverage and start saving.

Interest rate doesn't directly influence gold price. Interest rate influences inflation (USD value) which influences gold price. Right now, rates have been rising but so are the future government spendings, which would inject money into the real economy instead of financial assets like during the QE, which increases the inflation.

You can bet the next inflation release will be watched intensely by everybody and their mother.

It is generally a good idea to not listen to /smg/ memes if they are not backed up. You are a bear even if you deny it :)

WM should do ok with all the mass shootings you guys have (the crime scene cleanings to do and corpses to go to the trash bin)

gratz my bear friend
But is the AH volume solid ?

I did. What's your method of finding stocks?

Good info, thanks.

Next consumer price index is coming out on the 13th a week before the fed raises rates again.

As for gold, everything has risk but it is better than doing nothing.
Use gold as a hedge to express your bearishness if you are not willing to go short the market

What platform do you guys trade on. I've dabbled in Ameritrade, but it's expensive since I only have a couple of thousand invested. Everyone talks about shorting and I understand the concept of it, but placing an order seems very confusing. Anyone have any suggestions of where to learn the process of placing a short?

What is happening with all these newfags

Did they get disgusted by all their chink and pajeet scam coins ?

Thanks for the info

But I am not a macro trader, I am here with you guys, professionnal meme buyers and knife catchers

On interactive brokers, i just click sell and it figures out the lending costs and then I'm short.

I was on on Options House now E Trade
Also Robinhood for fun.
Though I will probably switch to all RH once destkop,options, and IRA accounts are enabled.

old fixedIncome investments will never be attractive again
dividends will always outperform them

I started trading a couple of months ago. I'm a student and didn't find a point of investing if I didn't have a couple of thousand to throw down without having to withdraw the money all the time. I absolutely despise crypto, so make no mistake, I didn't come from there.
Damn didn't even know that existed, ill check it out.

use options instead of a short if you think the price will go down

Seems so. More vol. then avg ofc. We'll find out for sure tomorrow in the AM.

I look for companies with good growth potential. Good Debt/Equity, decent amount of cash on hand. A large institutional investor base holding shares is a +. I also refuse to do BioPharm stocks.

KTOS is a good fit for all these. They focus on drones, which is quickly becoming the way much of war is waged. I am very happy they sold off their Public Safety & Security division to focus more on drones. That is their money maker.

I try to stick with sectorsI know or have done a fair amount of research into.

Oh I see

What matters for you is not the amount but what you learn and you want out of the market becasue day trading and investing are different.

Even if you invest just a few hundred bucks, you gonna learn how to invest.

Also if you like a stock and want to learn more about it, a good place to go is trading view to help look at technical analysis. You can always ask on here as well.

Yeah, I thought having half my funds for long term investments, and half to fuck around day trading with would be a good split. Just after a month of day trading though, I can see why some people would hang themselves. Jesus, what an emotional roller coaster that can be. Luckily, Ameritrade does have an amazing educational program when you open an account with them, learned a lot.

DOWN DOW DOWN

Personally, I don't day trade. I know some TA stuff but I use them only to know when to enter a stock I like or when to exit.

I prefer holding on companies which stories and prospects I believe (like AMRS)

Oh yeah?

nikkei no bueno?

whats the robinhood.com of europe? anyone?

friendly reminder we still have room for another double or triple

Not open yet.

I have short nikkei options, ill close one today and hold the other

Just pay your fees, goy!

Yeah, unless we don't have.

The stock market has predicted 10 out of the last 6 recessions

what's that quote from the book about people in a part with sparking champaign asking what time it is? it was a metaphor for a bull market

The thing is, nobody knows when the party stops
If you do, put your money where your mouth is and go short the market

I'm just mostly staying out recently because it seems like too much of a crapshoot to make any predictions. +50%, maybe? -50%, maybe?

I'm ultra long. My money is where my mouth is :-) Let the bears die. Bears are born losers.

BASED

thats actually impossible you nog, it would take many months

>can't beat dem drones

Apparently you can't invest directly in General Atomics, but apparently Honeywell sells the engines that GA puts in their Predators

I am confident in the shits I am holding (not that they each take up a huge portion of my portfolio anyway)
I am keeping some cash to buy the dip when (if) that happens

Dump $500 into one: MJ( muh weed ETF) SQ, or JD

Just for fun, what would constitute a dip for you? I mean, we came like 2500 dow points off the high a couple weeks ago, isn't that a bit of a dip?

MJ if you don't mind holding til summer time :-)

Doin long term prob. SQ is so tempting but bein a bitch and can't pull the trigger

JUST
>on the losing side of the walmart vs amazon wars

Buy high, sell low. Its the Veeky Forums way!

Stocks that I set my eyes on

For example, TTWO and ATVI which are fairly priced. If one day there is a big dip because algos gone crazy, I would scoop some of those delicious stocks.

how did the markets do today? bulls or bears win?

we got fucked my lad. good thing most of my investments are for 20 years from now so hopefully the prices will be higher then

Just talked to my financial advisors Nate Dogg and Chester the Cheetah and I am going all in on CRON

>Pussied out of RHT at the start of FEB
FUCK ME