So why haven't you read one of the funniest books of all time yet?

so why haven't you read one of the funniest books of all time yet?

Too hard 4 me

it's honestly not that hard. if you can read Ulyssess and gravity's rainbow it should be easy.

>if you can read Ulyssess and gravity's rainbow
I can't

well then it might be hard. it's just people talking. you pretty much always know what's going on.

> What does 'JR' stand for?
> It stands for Junior.

what makes it difficult?

Pure dialogue, no breaks.

sounds cool

it's really funny. this little 12 year old kid builds a money empire out of a phone booth at his school. it's hilarious. he doesn't give a shit about anyone lol.

Why was it called, "The Recognitions"?

It's my favorite novel OP. Not that they're incredibly similar but do you like Gulliver's Travels? Probably my second favorite book and the second funniest I've read.
JR isn't even introduced until like 90 pages in

You should probably stop jacking yourself off for finishing a single 1000 page book and accept that the author might have produced something more humorous.

Clementine Recognitions > Faust > The Recognitions

You guys don't know either.

>But guys, really! I finished The Recognitions, I did!
Read JR, user. Jesus Christ.

Please repeat yourself.

because its out of print and really expensive

>Check Amazon
>It's true

Welp time to re-read this in celebration of owning it I suppose

>not sell it on ebay
>purchase crack
>hire hookers

sell it to me for free

>'JR'
its J R

anybody know where to get a copy with the dope ass red stain on the pages for semi cheap

This. I lost it when Otto and Ed stole the amputated leg of Stanley's mom and tried to put it in his bed while he slept.

I did tho

I'm reading it right now. The conversations get a bit tedious and boring at times desu

because its so fucking expensive

God, people are so stupid.

I'm asking why was his other book titled, "The Recognitions." Where did it come from?

To get irrationally defensive about reading J R casts doubt in our eyes that you actually read it.

>The Recognitions: the title of a third-century "theological romance" attributed to Clement of Rome (see 373.1 ff.). In his working notes for the novel Gaddis wrote: "The Recognitions as title I like perfectly because it implies the impossibility of escape from a (the) pattern"; and elsewhere: "THE RECOGNITIONS is I think in the first place a simple lable [sic], deceptively simple perhaps, and all the better" (quoted in Koenig's "'Splinters from the Yew Tree,'" 13, 85).

i highly recommend williamgaddis.org for whatever question you have about his work

>Ask retarded half sentence unrelated to topic
>"God people are stupid"

Kill yourself

Where are you/what's happening? There are a couple of portions towards the middle and 3/4 through that get a bit dry but the whole book carries them IMO. I want to say they come around the time the school plot is mostly resolved and then again a while after the perspective centers on the apartment with the leaky pipes.

Thank you.

>i highly recommend williamgaddis.org for whatever question you have about his work

this is the site i used for recognitions. i'd read a chapter, then go and read the sypnosis, and see if that's the way I interpreted it. sometimes i'd see something I missed, or just confirm that I interpreted it correctly.

Well, an exchange of ideas and new perspectives is the point.

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK LIKE THIS TO ME YOU F*CIIJNGASHO

hey just started the recognitions. I'm 20 pages deep. it doesn't seem hard at all. does it get harder? I always say people need websites to help them with this book. but so far I haven't even missed a beat. I thought the beginning of mason and dixon (until I got used to it) was harder to understand.

*always see people need websites

Some people find Mason & Dixon and/or The Recognitions easy, some find them hard.

It's not really a significant point to make.

Later on when groups of people are hanging out he starts being very vague and his descriptions are very obscure at times. I don't exactly remember the very beginning as far as diction but the first 100 pages are different than everything that comes afterwards.

You sound gay

>a guy that calls himself "the cats" calls me gay

>the story doesn't stay the same and changes

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it gets more complicated. I would use the site previously mentioned.

The entire focus and style of writing shifts. Maybe you should go read it rather than attention seeking for reading an entire 20 pages.

Do you even enjoy reading, mr compulsive analysis checker?

I could also get attention by using a stupid name and sounding butthurt in order to get responses.

that wasn't me. I'm not attention seeking I'm asking a question. who would say something like that for attention lol? your a nut.

Are you touched?

>Hurr fucking durr everything is butthurt
Do you tell "haters" to stop "shaming" as well?

Read more than 20 pages before you go shitpost you fuckass

> hasn't read the intro

I like to laugh at internet tough guy meme.

lol your a fag