Whisky/Scotch/Bourbon Thread

Post recent bottles or pictures of bottles that you've bought most recently and give input on other anons choices.

Just bought this one yesterday and gave it a taste just now. Really nice beginners whisky and the faint smokiness really emboldens the mouthfeel and aftertaste.

Other urls found in this thread:

masterofmalt.com/tasting-set/
youtube.com/watch?v=3HwqMmT6ZfY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love me some bourbon but I've never tried scotch before

I picked up a bottle of Dewar's and its smooth as silk. I may have found a new favorite

I never really drink many blended malts but from what I read its more of a floral scotch which sounds a little turning off.

Do you know which single malts compose the blend if I might ask?

Is something wrong with me if I can't enjoy Woodford Reserve?

It's probably pleb as fuck but I like Gentleman Jack.

Id say yes but do you prefer peach flavor or apricot. Your answer can determine whether or not your a pleb.

no, I don't know anything about scotch, i thought it had a sweet oak flavor almost like honey and a easy finish, reminded me a lot of basil hayden just a little more peppery

>Whisky/scotch

eejit

Has anyone tried the Shackleton expedition whisky, the one based on the case of bottles they found frozen in Antarctica?

>getting this mad for no reason
>eejit
Go fuck an ox Seamus.

Bought this the other night. Any opinions on it? I'm new to drinking.

It's pretty good bourbon. I almost always keep a bottle of this around. Smooth, not too sweet. Solid for the price.

If you're new to it maybe start off on the rocks to mellow it out some.

>Any opinions on it?
Not worth wasting quads on

Oh shit my first quads, and on my favorite board no less!

I found it smooth like you said. I'll try with ice tonight. I've been using it for whiskey sours and I really enjoy it. I made the simple syrup with demerara sugar, which made the drink taste great. Thanks, friend.

>Whiskey sours
I'd recommend picking up a bottle of Canadian Club for those, it's my go to whiskey for sours

That's the shit that got me into whiskey. I had a bottle of Clan Mc. Gregor for my first whiskey and hated it. Decided scotch wasn't for me. I got another bottle (James Oliver or something) and it wasn't great. Used it for whiskey sour and flambé meals. Finally got this shit and I've loved it since.

Also, I'd like to try a scotch again now that my palate is a bit more refined. What would you suggest that isn't super expensive and tastes like scotch? I don't need a beginner whiskey but I would prefer something under $30 a handle.

Good enough. The rye's even better. Don't bother with the 10 year.

It's pretty average for the steep price tag, better bourbons for cheaper out there.

This is my local distillery's whiskey.
It's phenomenal and the guys there are great and love what they're doing.
The owner himself gave my family a bottle of his own malt whiskey that predates the distillery itself by a whole year.
It's really phenomenal.

>Also, I'd like to try a scotch again now that my palate is a bit more refined. What would you suggest that isn't super expensive and tastes like scotch? I don't need a beginner whiskey but I would prefer something under $30 a handle.
By "tastes like scotch", I imagine you mean pretty bog-standard blended scotch, because the taste spectrum of scotch is one of the widest of any liquor out there. There's a huge amount of variation. If you're dead set on getting a handle of scotch (I don't know of any good single malt that comes in bottles larger than 750ml, other than the absurd 4.5L bottles that Ardbeg does sometimes) get a handle of Dewars white label. It's smooth and easy drinking.

Picked up a bottle of this last weekend. I'm new to whisky and I heard it as a suggestion for beginners. Tried a little bit over ice the other night and I wasn't a big fan, plan to try it as a Whisky Sour tonight and see if that makes it any better. Other suggestions were Maker's Mark and Bulleit. My roommate has a bottle of Maker's on top of the fridge so I can try that. I went with Buffalo Trace since it was the cheapest of the 3. Bulleit's flavor profile description sounded the best, but I didn't really want to drop $35 on something I might hate.

Thanks my man. I wasn't affixed on a handle quantity, just had an aneurysm or something while typing that. Standard 750 ml is more than fine. I'll check it your rec. Appreciate it!

Oh gotcha, long as you aren't wedded to the big bottle and want to give single malts a shot, drop into some of the cheaper Speyside distiller options like Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12.

If you live somewhere that you can have whisky shipped, Master Of Malt does a series of tasting sets so you can try a wider selection for not a whole lot of money.

masterofmalt.com/tasting-set/

For best quality/price ratio: Old Forester.

Awesome, that's great info. I'll likely grab a bottle at my local store tonight on my way home from work. Thanks!

Are decent scotches normally just gonna run 60-70$ a bottle? Between Bulleit and Knob i have found a happy medium for my american whiskys.

>Are decent scotches normally just gonna run 60-70$ a bottle?
For the most part yes, but you can probably find some good beginners scotches, like Dufftown or Aberlour, in the 50 dollar range.

>Are decent scotches normally just gonna run 60-70$ a bottle?
Yes, that's the floor for a decent single malt. It's not right to automatically dismiss blends though - there are a lot of adequate ones that aren't Dewars or Johnnie Walker, and won't bust your wallet. Pig's Nose / Sheep Dip, the Compass Box blends, Black Grouse, and the like, will be around $30-40 for a bottle.

There is nothing wrong with this.

No but its literally newbies first $40+ scotch

>Product of India
Pajeet my son!

>indian whiskey
So does it taste like sharts instead of smoke?

40 bucks! where in the fuck do you live user? Shitty state almost certainly detected.

Im Canadian actually but Im kinda estimating the price for a 750ml bottle since its like 55 bucks up here in Toronto.

Shit user. black label wouldn't coast more but around 25 bucks around here buddy. It just seems kinda wierd to me that you Canucks get so goddamn faded all that time but you have to spend so much for alchohol..

So what blended ones would be a suggested pickup? Im not opposed to a 70$ one if its that damn good, but I doubt my taste is refined enough to enjoy it.

Though im not sure how to develope the taste for tequila. The Tres Agave blanco still tasted like ass even though that probably should have been good to me.

Bought me a bottle of Eagle Rare. Don't normally like spending over £20 for a bottle of booze (it cost £35) but I felt like treating myself to something. I discovered that it's made in the same distillery as Buffalo Trace and I'm quite fond of that.

Will drink it tomorrow.

I've got an unopened bottle of Talisker and Lagavulin here. So which smoke is the best.

Lagavulin 16 is 600 dollar a bottle Islay masquerading as 100 a bottle scotch.

Flavour notes include "poo in loo", "bus rape" and "all the fucking cumin"

Can anyone recommend a cheap, but still drinkable smoke-flavoured scotch? I dont want to spend 50$ on Ardbeg or Talisker, but I'd like to try some smoky stuff.

For maximum scotchpleb, dewars is an interesting mouthfeel for

The Black Grouse
Finlaggan

Seconding the rye

Agreed. I like it in scotch cocktails especially.
Lagavulin is pretty damn good. Talisker is not quite as good, but still good.
That being said, it's priced appropriately. In fact Lagavulin 8 is a much better value than the 16.

Picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Dark Cove last night. About to open it this evening. May report back with my notes later.

Highland Park, if you can find it for a decent price, is decently smoky. Not to the extent of an Islay, bust still rather good.

>Gentleman Jack
If it's good enough for ralfy, it's good enough for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=3HwqMmT6ZfY

In all seriousness, I recommend George Dickel No12 as JD's big brother: higher ABV (more flavor), aged longer, better quality control, better price.

Four Roses Yellow Label. Cheap and delicious straight and in cocktails.

How is Tomatin's 12 yr?

My state has it for 36$ a fifth

Finishing off a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon tonight, with some sharp cheddar and crackers as an accompaniment.

I'm trying to get into whiskey and food pairings, anyone have some suggestions for a novice?

Highland Park with grilled salmon usually goes well.
If you get an 18 year old by chance try it with grilled ginger chutney rubbed swordfish.

>Salmon

the memefish

Fuck off salmon done right is delicious, fuck your memefood bullshit r edditor scum.

Salmon is the only fish normies will eat. It's a memefish.

Just because the fish is popular doesn't make it a meme.
In that same manner you could say every food or drink is a meme. Its stupid thinking.

>Salmon is the only fish normies will eat

I see I have a lot to learn about board culture here on Veeky Forums.

But salmon is the ONLY fish people will eat normally.

People who say meme all the time are Xerox copies of actual people. Stop saying 'meme' and you won't be looked at like human garbage.

>But salmon is the ONLY fish people will eat normally.
>what is tilapia, cod, tuna, catfish, haddock, halibut, etc.

and how many of the people you went to school with ate those fish if they did not live in fucking maine?

Salmon is a fish the northwest crowd get excited about. The Vedder river in chilliwack is a big deal for salmon.

>and how many of the people you went to school with ate those fish if they did not live in fucking maine?
I live in Toronto and any basic store sells all of those fish. People like to experiment with food more than you think user.

Patrician tier

Oh, btw. I just opened a bottle of Talisker. It's like Caol Ila or Ardbeg. Hot, peppery, but it has a good finish.

>sierra leone
Well shit.

You really know about Lagavulin. No one knows.

>whisky
>best by

Every. Fucking. Time.

gb2/v/

I had some Stagg Jr. and Booker's tonight. It's been awesome I tell you what.

my experience with scotch is a few single malts i forgot the name of, some johnny walkers (black, blue), and some glenlevit 12 year.

as for some whiskeys, i've had jameson and that's it.

last night i picked up some makers, and mixed it with some ginger ale because i was heard it was a decent drink. i enjoyed it. tonight i'm drinking it with a few cubes of ice. its alright. pretty smooth, a bit sweet.

what other drinks should i try making with it?

How does JW Blue taste? I've had black and 2x black and really enjoyed the smokey flavoer but have been curios about the super expensive bottle. JW Red tasted liked ass.

In my most humble opinion, you can never go wrong with a whiskey sour. There are few drinks that go down so easily such as that.

if i'm being completely honest with you, i don't i had enough experience with scotch to really appreciate it.

i do recall it being less smokey than the black, but that's all i can really say.

thanks for the tip. any preferred way of making that drink?

Personally, I like it on ice, it dilutes the acidity of the lemon juice.
Also, you can substitute a simple syrup for sugar, or vice-versa, depending on your tastes.
I like to add about 1 part fresh squeezed orange juice to 3 parts lemon juice, personally, then garnish with either a lemon or orange rind. Experiment to suit your tastes.

Well if blue didn't give you the reach around in terms of flavor then I guess it ain't worth it.

Blue is a rich-people meme. Let 'em believe they're special.

STOP SAYING MEME. Are you some generic millenial asshole? I honestly hate you people on site. You're just some mistake the world shitted out.

>He fell for the millennial meme.

What's the cheapest shit that you get drunk off of? I prefer Old Grand Grand and Old Crow Reserve.

I'm a simple man and I enjoy Four Roses Bourbon

It costs 10€ in Italy and 25€ here in Switzerland, too bad you can only legally import 1 liter each time

How does it cost where you live?

Four Roses small batch is about $30 freedom bucks where I live. Not sure about the rest of the country or regular Four Roses.

>Live in California
>Regular Four Roses
>13.40€ for 750mL
>39€ for 1.75L
Damn it feels good not to pay tariffs on Kentucky straight bourbon.

What the fuck. Four roses in my state is 22$. I mean we have a state liqour tax, which is set at 20% but I live in fucking VA and california gets it cheaper?

California liquor taxes are rock bottom because we regularly pay $3.50+ a gallon for gas and $5+ a pack for smokes.

I'm 95% sure it's because the nightclub industry bribes the fuck out of the legislature not to tax booze.

5,50$ if about average for a pack of newports so I dont really think thats why. I do like our state controlled liqour stores, since if one doesnt have it you can order it and have a bottle delivered to the store for pickup.

>state controlled liquor

Found your problem right there. Gas stations, groceries, and drugstores here sell hard liquor, so the price slashing and coupon deals are very real, especially when you get to heavy hitters like wine stores or Costco.

Government stores have zero incentive to engage in competitive pricing.

From a trip to my Mecca a year or so ago

What are good brands of Rye?

Holy shit. I've got a few bottles of Octomore (6.1, 6.3, and 7.1). 6.3 is my absolute favorite peated scotch.
I must ask for the story that accompanies that picture.

That picture is from the distillery. The rafters are lined with bottles of the past, including one each of all the in-store valinch bottlings they've done.

I tried to get a bottle of the Octomore Discovery, but they'd sold out of it about a week before I got there.

Last "nice" bottle of whiskey I had was this. It was really fucking good.
I've also had their clear whiskey, that was very good too, but a little rougher/less sweet.

I dunno much about whiskey though.

I too would like some good whiskey and food pairings.

>live in Canada
>regular Four Roses is like 40-45 dollars
>Ardbeg 10 is over 90

Lol we pay like 11 for cigs in NY and our liquor taxes are still pretty high
MA as well

Ardbeg 10 in Ontario is the same as Talisker 10, 100 bucks each unless you go to Duty Free where its far cheaper (around 70 bucks).

Yup, small batch is 30 where I live. I just grabbed a bottle after working seven days this week. I'm new to bourbon, I mostly drink and sell beer. This us basically the first bottle of bourbon I've ever bought. Trying two and a half fingers over a single ice cube after some sips of it straight. It's definitely an aquired taste. I do get the toffee, slight vanilla, and oak notes.

Imma light up a macanudo and see if it doesn't bring the woody flavors out.

went to the store and picked up some lemon juice and ultrafine sugar. went with 1.5oz makers, 1oz sugar, 1oz lemon juice, 2oz water served over ice. shit is damn good.

>Hankey Bannister
Sucks, but will do. Picture unrelated.

I just tried maple syrup instead of sugar and lime juice, it was surprisingly good though I should have shaken it because I could feel the stickiness of the syrup