Parents wouldn't buy me Toaster Strudel when I was young

>Parents wouldn't buy me Toaster Strudel when I was young
>Saw the commercials on TV and longed for them
>Age 24, realize I can actually buy them if I want
>They're shit

Ever go back for a food you wanted as a kid, only to be disappointed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qINzKM8yA28
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cool ranch doritos... after the fourth one they don't taste like anything. It's like a magic trick! Crap/10

>be me
>parents buy tosters strudels
>take the packs of icing
>eat them all
>parents WHERES THE ICING
>maybe ate 10 strudels ever
>1000 icings

One of the biggest disappointments ever. It makes me upset even now.

I'm almost motivated to just bake some fresh crispy cookies, and then crumbled them up in a bowl of milk just to spite my childhood.

Wait Cookie Crisp aren't good either? Wtf man

just make a whole bunch of mini cookies
much better
fucking delicious

alot of these end up being disappointments after all those years because they arent allowed to put as much of or any of the fatty sugary goodness they used to

Nigger cool ranch Doritos used to be so good. Then they changed it to some "new improved" flavour and they tasted crap.

If you had eaten them as a child, you may have liked them.

This is supposed to be a cereal? Literally just chocolate cookies swimming in milk?

That is fucked up, americans are crazy.

>Ever go back for a food you wanted as a kid
youtube.com/watch?v=qINzKM8yA28

Total garbage cake.

They taste like stale styrofoam, desu. There are a few sweet cereals like that.

Reese's Puffs are very much the real deal though. They taste just how they should, and each sphere almost seems to be coated with a smooth frosting lubricant. Excellent taste, consistency, and mouthfeel, highly recommend

They aren't even chocolate chips, they're basically just dark brown wafer. It's marketing, user...

I dunno what countries have these things but sipahh straw things that are supposed to make milk flavoured when you drink through them they're shit

>>Parents wouldn't buy me Toaster Strudel when I was young

wtf op, they only showed up four or five years ago. you were 19.

I was dissapointed by Kid Cuisine when I was a kid, I can't imagine how shit it truly is.

I was eating toaster stroodle at least 15 years ago

It may sound stupid, but I used to always want those solid chocolate Easter bunnies that you would get in Easter baskets. Sometimes we'd get the hollow ones, but my parents just never seemed to get them. Finally, I got one for my kids, and decided to get an extra one for me.

I was pissed off. It wasn't even good chocolate. It was more of a nuisance and a chore to eat than anything.

I didn't like it either. I ended up switching to plain banquet or those manly meals when I was about 11.

I forgot what they're called now.
Manly meals? Is that right?

But cereal is a dessert food, what's wrong with that?

fuck you. i was in high school then, and used to buy food stamp books from the crackheads for maybe .25 on the dollar, and would get those viennettas to bring over my girlfriends house when we would get stoned with her grandmother. she had some really bad cancer and it actually made her better till they opened her up, and she died.

theyve been around a long time. the scamblers are pretty good, just too greasey.

hungryman?

That's the one. Just googled it to make sure.

Speaking of frozen food, (and this is kind of the exact opposite of the thread topic) but I used to hate those banquet pot pies as a kid, yet now I fucking love them. I try to limit myself to maybe one or five a month.

The turkey pot pies are the best. And the fucking crust is almost better than sex.

I actually love toaster strudel. You have to put the icing on and put it in the microwave for like 20 seconds because it doesn't thaw properly in the toaster though

>import pricey loose leaf teas
>drink it with toaster strudel and Milano cookies
>chop up fresh vegetables and steam chicken breast
>drop everything in instant ramen packs
>any cheap shit candy I wanted as a child tastes great even though I can taste the fake in it
>always thought coffee was the coolest thing ever and loved the smell, tastes awful

Why are my taste buds so fucked

Sadly, easter chocolate is almost always shitty because its for kids who cant tell the difference

I'm dissapointed every year when I try some of it

My mom was the same way as you. She hated the shitty hollow chocolate easter bunnies because her family was poor and that was all she would get, so every easter she goes all out on me and my brother. I still get easter care packs from her and I moved out years ago.

It's more of a complex for her.

>1985 was 4 or 5 years ago

That speaks to me, because that's how we were growing up. There'd be some years when we had decent money for the holidays, and some years where we were just stoked to hunt for eggs. I didn't realize until I was older that most of the eggs weren't plastic, but hard boiled. I don't even think they were painted half the time.

Fuck, why am I nostalgic over poverty? I'd give anything to relive my life once more. Even if it meant pouring milk into each other's cereal bowls and getting IOUs and hand me downs for Christmas.

Fuck I got to call my dad in the morning. Maybe it's the alcohol, but this thread just fucked me up.

My mom also hates canned meat like spam, Vienna sausage, and corned beef hash because she had to eat it straight from the can so often. I personally love all that stuff, but only after preparing in a larger dish or at least browning it in a pan.

Also evaporated and dehydrated milk, she hates those as well.

Call your dad, he loves you.

Man I fucking love corn beef hash, and it all stems back to my childhood too.

i used to get the big food service sized cans of that from Sams Club when i first got my membership there a long time ago. my fucking brother and my dad would get fucked up, cook that, 2 dozen eggs, a loaf of bread each, and my deli cheese and eat about 1/4th of it before passing out on the floor, leaving he rest to the dogs.

it was the first thing i made in my own place laughing that i didint have to share with anyone, or have it eaten up on me while i was at work.

i like it, i dig the cool chocolate thins but i dont really care about the vanilla ice cream, they should make more flavours

to be fair, if you would make a big solid chocolate egg out of good quality ingredients it would be awesome

That could be it. Maybe I shouldn't have grabbed the first one I saw at the grocery store. I don't know if See's or Godiva sells Easter chocolate like that, but I wouldn't mind checking it out.

>Literally just chocolate cookies swimming in milk?
No, they are circular puffs that mildly taste like cookie dough. There aren't even chocolate chips, just brown specks that seem as big as black pepper dots. I tried it once 20 years ago, and I think it wasn't any different than corn puffs in sweetness.

But, you should realize that children are pretty picky ass eaters, and parents buy that stuff just to get them to eat breakfast. Or they throw it in the cart as rewards for doing all your chores, or after having your yearly shots at the doctor, or whatever. To think people eat crap all the time is all in your head.

But, also, yea, cereal isn't only for breakfast. I probably only ever eat it late night, as a sort of 200cal snack.

i just tried it today for the first time and its really disgusting, the only tolerable one was the one made out of turkey, i'm not poor so i bought the most expensive ones out of curiosity, but i'm not someone who hates cheap or shitty food in general so that is not the reason it tasted bad to me. might be palatable if you fry it with rice and beans and sriracha or something

>Vienna sausage
Toddler food. But I seem to recall liking it as a child. At this point, I would never eat it again, not even after a hurricane or something like a disaster would I stock up on it.

Adore corned beef. But, I buy the green can, lower fat, and I think it crisps better too. Of course I love slim jims, jerky, pickled sausage. I don't get that they're really any different than where it all started, vienna sausages. LOL

You had problems.

don't give up yet! i think lindt chocolate eggs might be good and they are available nearly everywhere, you could try those. sadly i can't really help you because i am one of those 85% chocolate people and making an egg out of that would make short work of my teeth i guess

skinless good quality italian vienna sausages made out of chicken meat are pretty good, especially in cold salads, you might wanna try those if you get the chance, otherwise i agree, most vienna sausages have close to no taste at all

To me though, that packing liquid, errr..
I think for a salad, I'd be over at the boars head deli case buying some mortadella to cut or slice up, which is kind of the hot dog mild flavor, well, same mood, of salumi. Hahah.

Coco Chex which was called Coco Crispix when I was a kid. Used to eat a bowl for breakfast, a bowl when I came home from school and very often just as a snack. 31 now and getting my Sultana Bran from the cereal aisle they had a 2 for $7 offer with the big ass boxes of cereal so thought I'd go down nostalgia lane.

Jesus Christ, I don't know if I changed or the cereal did but it was fucking awful. Couldn't finish the bowl. Stuck with a big ass box of the shit which I just threw into the trash about a month later after conceding I would never touch it again.

Five guys burgers
What a disappointment

>steamed chicken
What kind of fresh meme is this? Jesus Christ at least boil it in stock if you don't want to pan fry or roast

I remember last Easter there was this company doing gimmick chocolate eggs. My dad got a cheese and onion crisp (chips for murricans) one. Shit was vile but the kicker was the chocolate was actually pretty high quality.

Chorizo in corned beef hash is goat. Cook the chorizo first so the potatoes soak in its grease

Lunchables.

wine, ihop pancakes and campbells. campbell is basically noodle aspic and ihop is basically dennys. i like processed food but seeing that colored goop on pancakes disgusted me. literally melted jolly ranchers
this
tasted like bootleg rice crispies with almost no chocolate

I quite liked the toaster strudel that had cream cheese inside them with the jam.

Beer

When I was a kid I wanted to eat all the snack foods that came in boxes and bags from the supermarket. Snack cakes? Sign me up! Doritos? Yes, please. Various flavored crackers I could put cheese and stuff on? I was down. Tortilla chips with cheese sauce from a jar? Exciting! Let's get bean dip, too!

As an adult I could buy as much of that shit as I want, but I don't buy any of it, because it tastes like shit to me now.

>Cereal is a dessert food
You sounded just like my mom when I asked for lucky charms

>11 yo
>Pepsi introduced Pepsi twist to the country
>I love it
>So fucking much
>They stop selling it
>Try squeezing lemon in coke but it doesn't taste the same
>Last month while looking at a world section in an ethnic store is see Pepsi twist cans
>Boy oh boy oh boy oh boy
>Take first cold sip
>horrible chemical taste inundates my mouth

>>Try squeezing lemon in coke but it doesn't taste the same

... why didn't you just try squeezing it in pepsi????

>reeses puffs, reeses puffs
>Peanut butta chocolate flavaaaaa

I was around for Crystal Pepsi, but my parents wouldn't buy it for me. I bought a bottle, now that it's back. It's okay, but it would have meant more to me to have it when I was a kid than it does now.

Had them a few times as a kid. They were good only problem is they were a little too much work/mess if you were in a hurry to get to school vs cereal or pop tarts. But they were definitely good.

I never asked for much, so if I ever wanted to try a thing we'd usually just get it.

I mean, I'm sure if I was eating toaster strudels all day every day they'd put their foot down, but yeah.

What kind of terrible parent never buys treats?

they were much better back when they were called "Cooler Ranch". Shit used to be loaded with more ranch dust that I literally get it everywhere on my face when I was three.

Cosmic brownies. I remember them being the tits when I was a kid and I had one a few years ago and it tasted like flavorless asshole.

But did you ever Pepsi Blue?

That was my favorite as a kid. I hear rumors that it exists in other states, but I'm losing hope.

>Ever go back for a food you wanted as a kid, only to be disappointed?

Sure. If they had to advertise it, it was shit not worth eating. Everything advertised was/is hideously overprocessed and full of chemicals.

the icing is the best part. the icing with them is like my favorite icing ever. i dont know what it is about it but it's so good

the commercials back then showed the moms doing sick artsy designs of planets & crazy shit like that with the icing.
As a result I made my mom attempt the same & judged her thoroughly for not being great.

Sounds like you're the one that's fucked.

Spam. I don't even know how I made it through life not eating spam. I always knew of it, but I never really crossed paths with it I guess.

Anyways, I took my gf backpacking for the first time about a month ago. She's an indoors person, so I figured I better step my food game up to keep her happy, so I splurged at the grocery store. I just happened to notice a single serving foil pack of spam and just threw it in the cart, because why not?

Anyway, we got up there, I woke up one morning and decided fuck it, let's do this. I fried it and melted some cheddar over it and holy fucking shitballs it was delicious!

Real ham is still better, but spam is pretty damn good.

The GOAT

Why the fuck is that retard grabbing the iced part of the toaster strudel? He's getting his hands needlessly messy. God I fucking hate those commercials.