Most of the book readers ive met fall into these categories:

>ugly book readers
>gay book readers
>no degree compensating readers
>think that they going to get laid because they read readers
>indian self help book readers

no degree compensating reader

I have a business but I am dumb

I'm decent looking, 20 y/o, and majoring in Materials Engineering. I like to read because I enjoy expanding my knowledge and because I have a disposition toward reading/writing for enjoyment.

That being said, I do wish I was slightly better looking.

>That being said, I do wish I was slightly better looking
lol everyone does

Lost a child, used them for escape, eventually they became something more.

You should add grieving people, OP. My mother didn't get back into reading until both her parents and her husband died within the same year.

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

I'm ugly gay no degree compensating to get laid by indian self help books

everyone thinks that they are goodlooking

ask an average looking person on the street to rate themselves and they'll always go for the standard ~7

being delusional is a gift tho so keep it up

You went too far with the bait, son.

Try to work harder on your poker face and you'll actually have more fun!

>tfw I'm the first 4

For me it's a combination of growing up in the country with limited options for digital entertainment and having patrician parents who encouraged us to read good books from a young age.

I'm good-looking, athletic, straight, well-educated, not delusional about what gets me laid and white, so I'm pretty sure it's just my parents and a modestly isolated childhood.

>8 (you)s in 5 minutes
>went to far with the bait

I just like lording my knowledge and extensive vocabulary over others.
It is not so much feeling mighty as a desire to impress.
I just want to be liked.
>tfw you don't have that neon glow

>tfw all five

soooo gay then

Social isolation mainly, I needed something enjoyable to fill my time with.

I don't have many friends. Plus, my parents were readers and encouraged it.

Holy shit damn angel that should be illegal.

Just Veeky Forums gay. No homo.

yeah, it's impossible to find such a bf, they all are gay :^)

this board, actually.

>everyone thinks that they are goodlooking

No. I hate the way I look. I'd rate myself a good 3-4 although I still might be deluded and actually I'm a 1-2.

>everyone thinks that they are goodlooking
Veeky Forums and /r9k/ would like a word

HEIGHT
FACE
FRAME
ALPHA GENETICS, ALPHA RESULTS

>ugly
i mean i guess

You're only good-looking if people want you for sexual intercourse.

Simple as that.

no

everyone gets laid nowadays, that doesnt make you goodlooking

>everyone gets laid nowadays,
RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>everyone gets laid nowadays
nice

>materials engineering

Wew lad. Enjoy unemployment

everyone that leaves their room or pretends that he cares what women have to say to get laid

that's not true, one doesn't need much looks-wise to be considered fitting for a sexual intercourse, even stephen hawking was married twice after all

nice

>tfw there is no standard 1-10 in any society
>tfw girls your looks and ratings can change entirely through exercising emotional truthfulness and self-expression

Well you know what, I take that back

I live in LA and I guess the relativity is shitter here than elsewhere, maybe what you say is in fact true outside this hole

>tfw people think I'm "asexual"

I'm just fucking autistic, STOP TELLING THIS SHIT TO EVERYONE; MY CHANCES ARE ALREADY TOO SLIM AS IT IS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>or pretends that he cares what women have to say
where have you been all my life

I'm sexy as fuck.
I lift.
ultra confident.
have a cute gf.

just read for fun bro.

I'm already employed by the company I will likely work for after I graduate. That being said - why are you under the false assumption that work isn't good for chemical and materials engineers? For the most part, they are interchangeable degrees.

i forgot where the delusional people come for a moment

>patrick bateman
>i lift
>bro
>im handsome
>confidence

why did the number of Veeky Forums crossposters skyrocket lately

what do u do to be sexy

They spent the last 9 months working on their summer bodies, and now that summer is here, they're coming to confront the reality that they really had no reason to work on a summer body at all.

lol I don't go on fit

Wanting to be smarter and more successful, in a personal sense.

Who can honestly after playing videogames for most of their childhood, teens, and into early adulthood look at themselves and their daily activities and think "this is okay, spending all my games playing flat chested simulators is stimulating"

It becomes entertainment for the sake of filling the gap.

look mysterious, be rude to women, have sick tri's and bi's, wear persol shades, stare girls in the eye until they look away then keep staring.

lots of stuff.

Let's see, the first time he wasn't cripple yet, and he apparently looked like Eddie Redmayne.

The second time, he was rich and famous.

I started reading when I was 20, I guess, trying to compensate for dropping out of high school at 17 and never attending college. Now I'm in college and continue to read for pleasure.

why are you in college

Damn. I almost fell for this pasta.

>be rude to women
how does that work?

everything works when you have a good face

women dont give a fuck what you say when you say it with a good face

make fun of them. in a playful way.

walk up to a woman and be like "holy shit did you let krusty do your makeup today? you look like a fucking clown"

I guarantee she will laugh

>depression coping readers
Most of the people I know and love are dead or dying, I'm headed off to college soon, and books help me think and deal with life.

forgot that one, i just put it under ugly readers in my mind

Boredom, mainly. I had a well paying job in the middle of nowhere but seclusion took its toll and I got bored and crazy. So here I am.

how about those readers that don't actually read and pretend to so they seem smart? I don't think this goes under compensating.
>pseudo-intellectual readers

Yeah, women particularly love being rejected. That's why people who have nice faces fuck everyone who wants them. Sounds logical.

How about people who's parents read to them and has since then read novels constantly now and then through life?

Im hot as fuck by the way

I never had very close friends, would periodically read in my life, especially in elementary and right now.

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

Parents read to me before I created cognitive memories. Read all the Chronicles of Narnia books at age 3 by myself. Been in love with reading ever since. Moderately handsome, studying accounting, athletic, enjoy the outdoors, have two jobs, not socially autistic, and know how to party and have fun.

Its not about self delusion. its about saving face in public. You dont admit to being ugly even if you know you are.

i get no pleasure anymore from music or comedy so i just read stupid socio-political books like animal farm and brave new world (also love hamlet) to make me feel like there's a point in trying to figure out life.

>think that they going to get laid because they read readers

>Was abit of a jock
>met cute bookish brunette upperclassmen
>She was really into reading even volunteered at the library.
>Try talking her up find we don't have alot in common but I ain't giving up
>Start reading what shes reading so we'll have something to talk about
>Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, other bullshit
>Graduation comes along and were in the middle of the Eragon series
>She breaks it off saying the distance/age was to much
>Almost to spite her/ drown my sorrows finish the series alone
>Kept reading stuff since it became a hobby
Avid reader now

My parents always read to me and bought me books so it was always natural. I was reading YA shit from 4-11 and then real books after that.

I say things like, to the library, and step on it.

>ugly book readers
Nope, while not a knockout I am confident in my looks and have had plenty of romantic and sexual success (and many many failures)

>gay
I'm bi, so thats nice

>no degree
gots myself a fancy neuroscience paper

>going to get laid
This has only happened once, but I didn't sleep with her, she saw my local bookstore points card and got all excited.

>indian self help
fuck off with that shit.

Affluent educated normal people make up the majority of literary readers and writers. Your HS experience does not constitute the world

Basically everything except the gay thing. That indian self help line was a lol because it's oddly accurate for a lot of user. Got me good.

But I don't know accurate the compensating line is because I don't know if I'd study literature even if i had the cash for it. I'd rather spend the money on books and keep doing my own grind. A degree is lit seems useless if you're not specifically going for an academic position after.

>>indian self help book
wtf is that anyway

Well it was a superiority complex nursed by people in grade school who believed I was more intelligent than I am. Stayed because aesthetics.

Played video games from an early age. Spent years on /v/. Vidya is slowly but surely dying out. Always been interested in deeper forms of storytelling. Realized books fulfill that want and hopped on Veeky Forums.

What sort of inferiority complex do you have that your only frame of reference for motivation is a compensatory one?

as a kid I liked learning new things more than having friends

I got hooked and never left, just upped the difficulty over time

who is this guy? I see him posted here a lot

Anyway I'm pretty new to reading (as a hobby anyway, I read in school and all that), I mainly do it because I grew tired of TV/movies. Plus I really enjoy writing.

you forgot a category-

>elitist cynical asshole

this is the category i fall into and i assume most folks on lit as well. i am not ugly or gay or degreeless or virgin or any of that (and frankly, i don't even understand what you mean with the final category about indians)

this has been literally the funniest post i have read for a good year. the indian self help bit really resonated with me

David Foster Wallace

Lurk more

I'm pretty sure I read because I want to appear well-read to both myself and others. I genuinely enjoy reading though, but I do feel I force myself to start to read sometimes.

College educated, decent looking and not delusional enough to think reading will help me get laid, an occurance that have happened when it happened for me in the past. And I hate self help books.

I think the lack of a hobby with substance lead me into reading books(classics), I've read alot of YA fantasy when I was younger, and decided to step it up, not regretting that decision at all.

I'm a 28 year old medical doctor. I just liked reading even since I was young, and I didn't like people even back then. I'm handsome, judging from other people's comments, but I'd rather not commit if I'm not sure of the other person. I have tons of books to read, anyway.

I can speak a pile of languages but I'm an autist in conversations, I found philosophy more substantive than self-help books, and went from there.

Also Greece and romefag

books and i fill my head with random facts and regurgitate other peoples opinions because i fear for my lack of brain power desu

>no degree compensating readers

Yes, I jumped out of school.

>ugly book readers
When I look myself in the mirror I look decent. When I look at myself on a screen I'm probably ugly. My friend once called me a 6/10 and when I said I was Jordan Belfort when we were out drinking and he replied "Except for the looks, the money and the girls" I started crying and had a drunk tantrum.

>I started crying and had a drunk tantrum.
Did you kill yourself?

discussing your looks with your friend is gay

Girls do it all the time.

Reading lets me use my imagination instead of mindlessly consuming something like video games or movies.

girls are different than guys for them it's ok (but girls often lie to each other and sometimes even intentionally give bad advice to make their friend look worse) and that user i guess isn't a girl because only a rare girl would want to look like jordan belfort and have all the girls and money

Best in thread

>two jobs
Why do Americans think this is somehow a good thing

pvp video games give the thrill but they also give me a feel of uncertainty about my skills making me reluctant and they are a great time waster for nothing and... we dont have that much time to 'look at things in bloom'

gf is a spook.
It just seems like an easy solution for sex, that's why guys are inclined to go into it.
(Yes, I know some of you who have "no luck" with girls say they only want a human connection,... no need to reply)
Why doesn't everybody just strife for fuck buddies? Sex once a week and you're good. gf is stealing time for your other goals. If you have no other goals, even if it's just better hedonism, you might as well kill yourself.

Escapism.

Why can't you do both of these things

OP do you mean Indians who read self help books or self help books with new agey stuff that white people like?

same

I read because I like books.

>no degree compensating

fuck you retard, why don't you walk around an ameriburger BLM safe space uni and look at the literal wastes of oxygen and space who will earn a degree, or the excessive number of college grads stuck in retail/hospitality, means NOTHING in this day and age

I got bored with video games and most anime is pandering to a crowd that I'm not a part of, so I turned to books.

Some people prefer meaningful relationships to the crude "friends with benefits" arrangement, in which you're using each other as a means to an end, as resources. Only in the former can you both unite and transcend.
And if you're just trying to get off, you might as well take care of it yourself.