How relevant is calculus in Software Engineering?

How relevant is calculus in Software Engineering?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5CzSkASd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you can't do calculus you shouldn't be a software engineer in the first place, brainlet

That wasn't the question, numbnuts. I'm just curious what application calculus has in programming.

That's a stupid question. Programing has nothing to do with calculus at heart, but if you are a software engineer who doesn't understand basic mathematics, you will have a limited scope of applications.

First of all Calculus problems and proofs help students developed abstract reasoning skills very very well.

Secondly, you're likely to have to build software that interacts with things outside the computer, things that follow rules describable with continues functions and differential equations and you will need calculus to be able to communicate with others about this.

Thirdly there are direct applications. Limits and some of the continues functions can be used in algorithm analysis. Modeling will require calculus (although that really belongs in the second point).

Depends on the program. If you're doing image processing, a lot. If you're coding for wolfram or mathematica, a lot. If you're working with rates of change in data, a lot.

Yo is this boat? I see u boi

Stochastic calculus for understanding how to code financial models, anything with dynamic data modelling really

It's extremely application-specific.

There's plenty of uses in computer graphics (splines come to mind first, but there are other uses too for things like lighting or terrain deformation).

In machine learning you use it for stuff like gradient descent.

It's useful in a lot of optimization-type things.

Hell, I've even used basic calc in my loli kidnapping simulator for computing trajectories of cans to throw to distract lolis. I was even thinking of using sextuple integrals to compute what kinds of foods lolis would like based on flavour-profiles (ie one axis for savoury, sweet, sour, spicy, etc) based on a few given points and their preference for it.

I mean, it might not be as useful as linear algebra or graph theory, but there are certainly uses for it.

Absolutely irrelevant

gimme a link lad

>Calculus
>Useful

To what? Spline code? gradient descent? the trajectory code?

Don't do that m8
You started something, and now it's going to end, one way or another.

Cough up the link.

that game is gonna get somebody v&

Here's the pastebin with the trajectory code:
pastebin.com/5CzSkASd

>How relevant is calculus in Software Engineering?

It's not. I literally have not used calculus once in my work as a software engineer. Maybe I have used linear algebra a little here and there, but even that is pretty rare.

Really, no math beyond high school algebra are needed for software engineering. Pretty much the only thing you need to understand are functions and the idea that a symbol can refer to some other value.

A lot of the subsystems are Veeky Forums-related. Code related.

And the genetics system.

Link to your github, please? I`m really interested in your project, looks cool as fuck

If you are making meme database programs like for a web shop than you wont need it for sure

I'm not sure it is that useful.
If you're doing simulations, machine learning, or something more "computer sciency", then it will be.

I will say this.
Every math class I had to take after Calc III was a fucking CAKE walk. Holy fucking shit. FUCK that course.

Not at all. It MIGHT come up a bit in advanced 3D modeling and animation, but even then you're liable to deal with more easily computed approximation rather than trying to do any actual calculus.

Only relevant if you are modeling/simulating something
Otherwise you'll never have to worry about anything beyond basic difference / rate of change.
examples of things requiring no calculus:
>Basic bookkeeping software
>most mobile apps

examples of things that require entry tier maths:
3d modeling

higher maths:
Global Illumination (in some cases, usually)
Machine learning (in some cases)

and they usually appear in summation form even then; you probably won;t be finding derivatives that much unless
>simulation/modeling i.e. HVT/physics simulation
>HPC

>TL;DR
unless you are using eigen or something similar, not very
Only needed to model systems
/thread