Breaking Bread

Post your loaves. Share your bread lab secrets.

youtube.com/watch?v=9iH3hjDUhWw

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1F368B5848077C3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU
natashaskitchen.com/2012/02/26/no-knead-artisan-bread-recipe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My latest sourdough with a little whole wheat and rye.

>Breaking Bread
And he gave it to his disciples and said

I'm pretty new to making bread, mostly just make loaves for sandwiches. This was my oat wheat loaf I made, I was pretty happy with it.

Kudos!
The crust looks weak. Do you have a pic of the crumb?

need tips for making a decent foccacia better

no pics, just know its "ok"

Unfortunately not. I thought I took a pic after I cut it, but I guess it disappeared.

On a side note, what do you guys think about topping bread with oats and such? Seemed like it had no effect at all and fell off too easily.

I like sunflower seeds in the dough and more on top.

Marble rye

Git gud

That's funky!

I've only seen it done with cake.

Rye and whole wheat?

I have no secrets. Happy to answer any questions.

That looks pretty much perfect. The rise, the oven spring, the crust, it's excellent bread.

And yet...
>fruit
I am wary.

I've got a questions for people in this thread:
I love dense bread. I love the doughy and or yeasty taste of bread that's slightly underdone. I love bread that requires a lot of chewing. Bread that is a great meal with maybe a bit of salt sprinkled on top.

What's the best way of getting this type of bread? A mixture of whole wheat and spelt flour? Kneading a lot? Lots of yeast?

Every time I see a crumb shot that's just white bread full of uniform small little air bubbles I can already taste the boredom.

The densest bread I know is pumpernickel. It's a whole rye without leaven that is fermented for days and then steam baked a whole night. It turns a rich dark brown.

My favorite to make is a sourdough rye with sunflower seeds. It's pretty compact but it is leavened and allowed to rise. You can't see a lot of bubbles but it just about doubles in the oven. (pic)

The yeast flavor is straight up yeast. Use a lot or allow it to proof for a whole night. I don't like it, it tastes like cheap pizza. Are you sure you don't mean the tang of sourdough?

Generally the two trends I spot are whole flours beyond mere wheat, and long, slow 'Teigführung' - I don't know the English term: the way you treat the dough before baking.

How did you get into bread making? Is there a good beginner's loaf to learn with?

Thanks, I'll look further in that direction. Guess I'll have to go the sourdough route, that's gonna be fun.

And I'm pretty sure the term for 'Teigführung' is proofing.

By the way, I just googled dense bread, and pic related is something I was talking about. The original poster complained about it and called it bad, but to me this looks heavenly.

There was an article in some paper a few years ago called the No-Knead loaf. It's simple and very popular. And it tastes great: plain wheat bread with a lot of oven spring.

Just search no knead on Google or Youtube.

Proofing is one phase of several.

The pic looks a bit undone. Bread that hasn't finished baking can lead to indigestion. After all, there's living yeast in there. Yeast isn't harmful, but it can bubble.

youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

The yeast is all killed off around 146 degrees F. Geletanization of starches begins around 160, so you have very raw dough that no one would eat till that point. A finished loaf is done around 190 to 200 depending on what you are shooting for.

I guarantee you that indigestion is not coming from yeast that is still alive. Perhaps flour that hasn't baked fully when the starches should be gelatinizing and setting the loaf fully, but not yeast.

>27:35
>"...a rather queer looking loaf..."
In the Boy Scouts, "Queer Loaf" was my nickname.

I haven't baked in a while and I have tons and tons of herbs in my garden I haven't used.

I want to make a herb bread. I have any generic garden herb you can think of. What combos would you recommend?

In your recommendation exclude basil and parsley and include chives. Give me what you got.

Also should I make loaves or buns? I might just use technique because I haven't busted out the cast iron in a while too.

those are pretty rolls, what are they?
I have some mozz balls I'd like to bake into something and those look fit for that purpose

I made this 2 days ago. Its a Rye Sourdough starter. I absolutely love using a majority of white flour topped off with a little Rye!

That looks delicious.

It's the early fucking hours and I'm making bannock

Started with 1 cup each of
Oat flour
Almond meal
Arrowroot flour

2 tsp of baking powder
1 of salt

Drizzle of oil and a cup of milk

Thanks! If you're getting into bread baking you should direct questions to FF, he really knows his stuff.

Thing about it though was even with just 1 cup it was basically a cake batter

Had to add extras of the flours before it finally became manageable dough, I can't say how much

Much stickier than pure oat bannocks I've done in the past

But once in the pan, cooked quickly and picked up a gorgeous light browning

So despite apparently requiring very little moisture and being an experimental recipe where I said fuck it and threw together 3 random ass flours in almost equal portion, this shit is delicious

It's easily the nicest looking bannock I've ever made and probably the best tasting

Extremely light for a bannock, with an almost biscuit like quality I'm attributing to using milk instead of water and the arrowroot

You can make these kinds of bread lickety split, so if you're willing to wrangle with the moisture, I think ya'll would like this one

There's something of that nutty grit that you get from marzipan as well

Not necessarily bad, but interesting

Honestly, I really like posts like these, thanks. Experiments that don't blindly follow a random recipe always teach more about bread baking than anything else, in my opinion.

It's interesting that you've only got 25% hydration, looks delicious though. Additionally, I think if you replace some of the milk with greek yogurt it could add a lot to the whole thing..

It's cake dude

I don't think "Marble Rye" indicates a dessert. And the only sweet leavened baked goods I know are pies and danish sized things.

It's not marble rye it's a fucking marble cake

My girlfriend/housewife bakes a loaf every two days or so and puts a lot of dill seeds in, which is actually delicious.

This seems perfect. It seems I will need to purchase a dutch oven or some other large oven safe pot, so I guess my bread experiment will have to wait until I get paid.

I use a baking stone and a water dish, no pot.
I have a cast iron dutch oven, and a clay pot. Both make good bread. The baking stone bread is better.

I'll keep that in mind. It seems like for the time being that I can probably get by with parchment paper on a baking sheet.

It'll work. But it won't transfer enough heat for the initial bake, sapping oven spring and making a good crust very difficult.

The key is to have a heated mass that transfers a lot of heat to the bread fast, much more than hot oven air can. A pot or stone on the bottom and steam all around transfers many times as much heat to the bread.

A pot also seals in most of the moisture so that the evaporation from the dough replaces a bread oven with steam injection.

Yeah, I intend to upgrade but for the time being paying my rent comes first. Actually, I wonder whether my Crock Pot insert is oven safe.

I wouldn't risk it. Those parts are expensive.

Use a cheap ceramic oven dish, cover it with aluminium foil if you have no fitting lid.

Now the dish may crack when cold dough is put on the preheated surface. That's why you use a cheap one. Thin ones last longer than thick ones - not china-thin though. The bread will still bake fine in a cracked dish.

Baking stones aren't expensive either. They're just unglazed fireplace tiles.

This is a very inexpensive hobby.

Sure, you can spend money on a dutch oven, a nonstick kneading mat, banneton, couche, ...

But don't buy anything before you have discovered the need for it. A bowl, a scraper, and a cake dish will get you started, most households feature those.

I'll echo this, though not quite the same as you

I'm the guy who posted the bannock and even brand specialty flours (Red Mill) haven't been so terribly expensive, and things like oil can be bought in big bottles that last a very long time even when using it in other cooking

Granted those are a lot less time intensive and only need a frying pan and some foil to cook

After leaving half wrapped in foil overnight the crusty faced softened and the whole bannock took on a uniform softness

Next time I take a swing at this recipe I'm going to look at options for sweetening

I used this recipe for both of these

natashaskitchen.com/2012/02/26/no-knead-artisan-bread-recipe/

First one was without cornmeal, second one was with cornmeal

How'd I do for my first and second time baking bread?

Very well.

Its marble rye. I know because I baked it.