Balzac- Pere Goriot

Just picked up this bad boy.

What am I in for? Is it deserving of its acclaim, or will I be disappointed?

Balzac's great. Have fun.

This is a really stupid question, but will reading this book make me 'cultured'?

xDDDDDDddd balzak

lol, you can honor deez nuts

Balzac is pure balderdash full of cheap cliches

>translation

Honor the Ballsack ....... Respect the Cock!

did u ever think all those cliche are ppl copying balzak? he was one of the first dudes to go ham on novels brah check his dates, do u accuse shakespear of a cliche for using phrases like "to be or not to be", "hoisted on ur own petard", and "a man of infinite jest"? u sir r pleb as shit

moreover name me a balzak cliche and we can look it up in his collected works since the whole human comedie on free google ebooks, come at me bro

No, he was always known as a shit writer. Flaubert praised his portrayal of society while attacking his prose style, famously saying "What a man he would have been had he known how to write!"

He's basically the French Dickens, in other words.

wow man a quote straight off wikipedia, why dont u try reading him yourself u no taste pleb

I'm reading Balzac soon myself, I went with Lost Illusions, seems more my style. I'm reading The Red and The Black now, fantastic stuff.

in other words-o-rama you say

all this balzac is the french dickens stuff is worrying me. hopefully he isn't just a caricature artist like dickens was. I had enough of that after David Copperfield. My current order of proposed french authors is The Red and the Black, then Lost Illusions, then Les Miserables, then Germinal. I have a feeling that Hugo and Balzac will be the weakest of the four.

Ballsack is the best author i've ever read. i love licking balls

Finish your ESL classes before posting here.

I'm from Ukraine and think English is very primitive and shitty a language. Very rigid, unfortunately.

>Very rigid

bitch please

If you only speak English then you have no clue what I'm talking about.

look just because you come from a word-salad language family doesn't mean english is rigid, there are 1000s of ways to say anything. If you feel rigid the inflexibility is yours, mon frere

Multiculturalist Jewish Swine. Go globalize elsewhere. Only Mental Purists allowed on this thread.

rigidity of english is a myth, try to read english poetry

look, fucking judofobe has crawled out from under the restroom. Go fuck yourself, shitty fixed word order language speaker

Flexibility of English poetry is a myth, try to learn some Russian before spewing this bullshit you cant prove, only believe

Dickens is legitimately unreadable high falootin shit.

Compared to Dickens, Balzac's prose is far clearer. His portrayal of Paris is much more alive than Dicken's London. Balzac relates Paris through universal emotional experiences. Instead of trying to relate experiences through long winded, ultra symbolic walls of text, he frequently breaks the fourth wall by saying stuff like "Remember that longing you had for that special girl when you were 20? That's what this character is feeling right now."

Might not be your style, but I appreciate the humility of his style. Also, his characters are excellent.

that sounds fine, honestly. I'm totally okay with that. the only slog that i'll have to worry about then is Les Miserables. sewers here i come. then i'll finally get back to the comfy russians.

know not what you mean i do.

what know not i do

what do you know mean I not

do you not know what I mean

I mean what do you not know

there you have it, fucking fixed constructor, not even a language. No grammar at all lol

what I mean you do not know

see
english requires more of the speaker. To dance through meanings and forms, a mere jumble of words in any old order simply will not do.

English is simply a pile of mongrel shit

i'm sure you're an expert on mongrel shit being a Ugandan or whatever shit country you come from.

>English is simply a pile of mongrel shit
no, that's your english.

Frankly if you're not a native speaker the true beauty of english will remain forever inaccessible to you - the tongue is insurmountably complex to your feeble foreign brains

Russia, asshole. Which language is one of the most flexible ones. But why the hell would you follow me. You're an ignorant bitch, what's who you are.

>if you're not a native speaker the true beauty of english will remain forever inaccessible to you
have you proven it?

guys, i think the Ugandan is getting pissed.

your every ugly utterance proves it, compadre

I can't be a reliable proof. You've lost.

nuh uh

Balzac is barely cultured.
The Danish scholar Poul v. Rubow nailed it when he said, 'You can learn a lot from Balzac, but only if you know a lot to begin with'.

>The Red and The Black
>Balzac
Nice bait

If you survived first 15 pages, then you're in for a great read, just carry on the first pages which describes the inn.

Commit sambucca

>literally copypasted his opinion from wikipedia

kékède

i randoml yopened balzacs comedie humaine to a random volume on google books ina class i was bored of and started reading this description he wrote of a nordic coast...i usually hate nature descriptions as u either imagine a poatcard of the place or have no idea the fuvck it really looks like so u get bored out but this shit was engaging as fuck i was like damn raddest coast of all times balzac then the class ended just as he got to descrbing some dudes cabin shit went hard as fuck to be honest famalam

>reading balzac soon
>balzac soon
>soon
>SOON
>S O O N

Shit! Just fucking read it

still better than zola