Lets talk pork Veeky Forums

Lets talk pork Veeky Forums.

Last week I went to the grocery in search of a way to efficiently spend 20$, and realized that almost every kind of meat my grocery has averages out to about 5$/lb, with the exception of pork spare ribs, which I tried and made some okay BBQ with, and another pork product, which I hope someone will be able to help me identify which both cost 10$ for a ~5lbs package.

The pork I did not try was in a tube shape and seemed to have a lot of fluid in the plastic casing as well.The outer surface I could see seemed smooth and consistent in color, and I could not feel any bones when I pressed on the package.

So two questions: Does anyone know what that might have been, and if so, what could I make with it. I am a novice in the kitchen so simple recipes are greatly appreciated but if a complex one sounded appealing I certainly wouldn't throw the idea out.

Go to a different grocer. I got ground beef for $3.00/lb and pork chops for $3.50/lb this week because I went downscale to save money.

>tube shape
>lot of fluid
>smooth
>no bones but firm

You just felt up a pig bro. Did you smoke a fag after?

the stuff in the tube was either pork loin or pork tenderloin. if it was small then it's tenderloin, if it was big then it's just regular pork loin. shit's good but do not overcook it since if has very little fat

I'll consider it, though really right now the issue isn't price I'm just curious about it more than anything, I basically never eat pork.

I never said it was firm, don''t project your pig fantasies on me you filthy degenerate.

Excellent, thank you, I believe it was the regular loin. I'll have a look for things I can do with it myself but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear it.

pork belly

for pork loin you generally crust the outside with either bbq rub or your herbs of choice, then roast or smoke whole. let rest and slice. makes a killer sandwich especially with a good bbq sauce to go on it

Why are you buying unlabeled mystery meat from the store?

That actually seems closer to what I remember seeing than the loin, thanks.

Sounds good to me, if it turns out it was the loin I'll give that a try.

It was labeled, it's just I knew what to do with spare ribs so I didn't spend much time thinking about the other and so I can't remember what it said. I'd just go to the store and come back and figure out if there's anything I'd like to make with it but I've got a fucked up leg and I'm really not up to two trips to the store today.

>the stuff in the tube was either pork loin or pork tenderloin

this. Most likely the tenderloin

.>Excellent, thank you, I believe it was the regular loin.

Regular loin is rarely sold whole. It's usually cut into chops, which is what your OP photo shows, or roasts.

Belly is usually sold flat, not rolled up like that.

nigga go sainsburys for pork belly. it's in meat tubes.

Did you know that pig dicks are actually corkscrew shaped.

do this if you want garbage meat with no flavor

All store-bought american pork has no flavor.
You practically have to raise one yourself or co-op buy.

Might want to consider country style ribs, they're a cheap cut that you can use in a lot of dishes, always tender too.

ground cow butts is ground cow butts amigo

ribs are 90% bone

I can get an entire un-sliced pork loin at my local market for $20. IT's pretty much one giant cut of lean pork. It's several pounds of meat that's cheap and delicious. God bless fellow swine lovers.

At my grocery store most pork (including steak, shoulder and various mystery cuts in pieces) costs ~2.5€/lb.

Any meat can be boiled or fried easily.

this, getting a large piece and eating it over a few days is better, I used to do this.

>Regular loin is rarely sold whole. It's usually cut into chops, which is what your OP photo shows, or roasts.
I buy whole loin all the time. But, I think what you mean to say, is that it's not always out in the meat case whole, but maybe some 8-12 inch section of it, you know, the size for a normal family sized roast, 4 or so people. Nothing beats smoking a whole loin, or sectioning it out into several meals.

OP, if you really want to save money, you buy more meat at once, for the value price for getting 3lbs or more, and finish the butchering at home, or freeze your leftovers once cooked. That's your bottom line. If you want to do it often, or for many people, a Costco membership might save you even more money on the whole roasts, and be usda prime too!

There's a kind of pork steak that is made with the darker meat end of the loin, bone-in with some of the rib. I like to brown it and then simmer it in sauerkraut and onions til fall apart tender. I don't often buy that plastic wrapped marinated tenderloins or loins, they have really been in brine and marinade too long. I find them salty and a little too tenderized/mealy.

I always look out for the whole loins. They're not always out in the cases at the store I normally go to, but every few months they get a bunch of them in and put them on sale for like $3/lb or so.

Whenever i see them, I grab one or two of them and usually cut the larger 1/3 or so into a roast and the rest into chops that I portion out and stick in the freezer.

Probably depends on where you live. Here ground beef is $3.69/lbs at the lowest(10 cents cheaper for the frozen Wal-Mart shit, but it's so much worse than everything else it's not worth 10 cents, let alone $3.59). The really good stuff is $5+.

But pork chops re regularly on sale for $2/lbs. No one around here seems to like pork so it's easy to get it cheap.
>Regular loin is rarely sold whole.
Dunno about you but I see it all the time.

If you're looking to save money on your grocery bill look up the sale items before you buy. Stock up if you have to and freeze it (this triggers the autist)

Grocery stores are are the ultimate liquidation sales,