Redpill me on this samurai

Redpill me on this samurai

He's not a samurai.

Literally who?

I like him.
he's probably not going to be well liked around here.
he uses a lot of odd similes.
and a lot of recurring themes. like a metric FUCK TON of recurring themes throughout his books.

I bet you can't even name 5

Never read Murakami but I've seen some discussions here before.

This board mostly hates him, I like him.

His books are relatively easy reads. Suggest you try one and make up your mind for yourself.

>weird similes
That is pretty Veeky Forums
But yeah, he's pretty unpopular here
>recurring themes
Like what?

>he's probably not going to be well liked around here.
>This board mostly hates him
Is this because he's ultra popular or is his output bad/uninspired/bland?

>Like what?
an adult man and an underage girl have a strange relationship...

All of the above

He's literally what kids go to when they finish with shippuden.

Bitch I'll name 10
>jazz record collections
>infidelity
>protagonists who are mildly unhappy with their lives
>characters who are mourning the death of characters who were never in the book
>mildly surreal moments of subverted reality
>talking animals
>spirits in the world of humans and vice versa
>females who aren't conventionally attractive but have their own sort of beauty
>name-dropping classic Japanese cars
>characters discussing classic literature

I just wanted to manipulate you into doing a lot.

I've been defeated by the dubs once again

chekt

rekt

>samurai

thanks dude i had a hearty brekekek :-)

I hate him because he is bland. Maybe something is lost in translation.

I'll totally admit that he's bland, he definitely is. But there's an odd flavor to his blandness that I like. like tea I guess.
You shouldn't take him too seriously though, just read for fun and ponder on the little philosophical nuggets here and there.

It's just like my Japanese animes.

So, maybe the board is hung up on style and that makes it difficult/unfair to critique foreigners?

Pretty much, this board has very little to say outside of a very small selection of Western Lit

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, to the radio.

I liked Norwegian Wood, it was a comfy read. It felt catered to my demographic, early twenties college-attending male that feels slightly alienated from society. Or as I've read here: "college aged fagboys", which is pretty much spot on.

Redpill yourself by reading one of his books.

Tell me more about Norwegian Wood.

Well I guess what I meant by alienated by society was "not really finding an identity in being a part of a larger group". Not loners, but not feeling satisfied within any particular group of people.

The book is about a guy attending a college in Tokyo, and his everyday life; his love interest and loneliness. Some darker themes like suicide and depression, but written in a slightly detached way. All in all a very comfy and easy read, not a dark or heavy book in any sense.

he not liked in japan

we call him "stupid-kami" god of stupid

japan shames murakami to death, no forget

I never finished that one myself because a huge portion of it is a short story murakami wrote earlier and going from one to the other exhausted my interest pretty quickly, but it's a bit different than the rest of his work. Like the other user said, it's more about a melancholic 20 something and his life, relationships, etc. His other work is more surreal and philosophical, Kafka on the Shore being my favorite novel.
You should read Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, a collection of short stories if you want to get a feel for his work