Do people really disregard the plot of a book here or is that a fucking meme

Do people really disregard the plot of a book here or is that a fucking meme.

Is lit really so elitist that enjoying and valuing a large part of the book is pleb tier? Thoughts?

I dig a good plot

Bad books are meant to be read for the plot, just like bad liquors are made to get you drunk.

Good books are meant to be read for prose, just like good liquors are made to taste nice.

Great books are meant to be read for theme, just like great liquors are made to warm you up.

Wouldn't a great book incorporate both plot and prose along with theme?

Throwing out the story in a "story" sounds like elitist hipster trash

Have you ever seen somebody on Veeky Forums comment on a book with concrete reference to its contents?

Nobody reads here, we just meme on each other about what we pretend to read.

Yeah if you have really good tasting wine that doesn't get you drunk that's just grape juice lmao

This

Grape juice is some good shit my man

But it isn't liquor is it?

Grape juice in this analogy seems to refer to poetry

No one disregards the plot of a book, that is a meme. But books/writers whose sole purpose is to write "plot" (entertaining, propulsive story) are looked down upon. Veeky Forums is warm hearted, kind, and not elitist. Check out the starter kit for some recs though it kinda sucks. Cheers

I'm a little new here and this is not what I've seen. Maybe I'm in the wrong threads.

I think most writers intentions are to write good plots prose and themes

>just like great liquors are made to warm you up.
eh?
Doesn't pretty much all scotch warm you up?

I just wanted to let you know I understood this.

It's a meme boiy

Only memetards on Veeky Forums read for prose in particular or disregard plot

The real meat is in considering a work as a whole

I think Stoner is a good example of the plot/prose topic. Certain plot points are revealed on the back of the book, but it doesn't matter. What matters is the prose and how the plot fucks you up anyway.

Maybe a good way of measuring a book's quality is if you know a few of the plot points before reading it and still love it. It's sort of like watching a movie you know a bit about, but still appreciating and being moved by the cinematography.

>great liquors are made to warm you up.

Terrible analogy

Ah, sophist, then how can you explain this - I was drunken with grape juice not only once, nay, but twice! But it wasn't wine. Then how come?

>he thinks its a meme

I mean it depends how you define plot. The point being that lots of great books have very simple straightforward plots with no twists or turns, and are made valuable on a metaphorical level. There's elegance in simplicity, and most good authors realize that. Many people would argue that with a good plot and good foreshadowing, the reader should know what's coming the entire time and still want to read and still be affected by the ending. This is not to say a plot can't be complex(i.e. most of the postmodern stuff this board loves), but that plot is a tool rather than ever the focus of a good story.

OP you should try "By the Waters of Babylon" by Stephen Vincent Benét

The people here who read for prose are precocious pedants under the age of 21 who have been so battered by endless years of lit courses that they have lost their way.

If the story is good enough, the prose can still ruin it.
If the prose is good enough, the story doesn't even matter.

>If the prose is good enough, the story doesn't even matter
lol