Is this a good option to read 'Ulysses' or I just waste money?

Is this a good option to read 'Ulysses' or I just waste money?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)#Editions
discord.gg/01016TZPAPULpxT67
discord.gg/01016TZPAPUJdarIH
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get Oxford's 1922 text; it comes with a lot of extra information like a map of Dublin, explanatory notes, errata, etc.

Oh god, I was reading about which edition is better when I impulsively bought this edition. Bad move.

reposting myself from earlier thread on this exact topic...

the differences are largely academic and completely irrelevant to anyone who is not a serious joyce scholar at a post graduate level

bitching about gabler edition is apparently the "in" thing to do among pretentious pseuds who've never read joyce in their lives, ignore them

it's no secret that the original 1922 edition contained a plethora of errors, which joyce then worked with random house to emend for the 1934 us edition, that was later reprinted in 1961 by the modern library and forms the "standard" text

the highly unusual styling of ulysses meant there was copious room for error, esp from the copywriters/typesetters, and it showed aubndantly in 1922. though thousands of errors were corrected by joyce himself in 1934, there were still many more he worked on, and often incldued as errata for later editions before being incorporated into the text. it's not unreasonable at all to think there were still more to come.

general academic consensus today states gabler likely overstepped a bit in his corrections, but it is not at all unreasonable for him to have done what he did. the controversy around the edition is, anyway, largely academic and completely irrelevant to the lay reader, and certainly not to pseuds on Veeky Forums

your copious use of sarcastic quotations and disdain for "academics" reveals your own ignorance on this subject. kindly never post about this topic again.

yeah man its fuckin great

Why was it a bad move?

I have the 1946 random house edition that I'm working through now. I've noticed a few small changes from later editions including word choice and grammar. Nothing to write home about.

I just thought that, never mind.

But I did not use sarcastic quotations, I know I'm new on this, that's why I'm asking.

Die in a fire

and also a boatload of errors since it was put together by frogs that spoke no english

gabler's the best edition so you did good but kill yourself op

Even if you read the worst, most error-filled edition out there, you'd be better than 99% of Veeky Forums if you made it to the end.

The Gabler is the only Ulysses.

patrician's choice right here

Dont try to justify a horrible purchase you made

rekt

Still confused.. why is this one horrible compared to the Gabler or Oxford?

Ultimately, the edition isn't the most important choice, yet one may erroneously place the most emphasis on that.

The 1922 is out of copyright, so it's actually the least patrician choice conceivable. Literally the republication of free material, that you're paying for—paying the same amount you would, by the way, for the Gabler, which everyone who knows anything about Joyce prefers. But keep thinking you know better.

It's littered with errors which Joyce himself later corrected as he serialized the novel over the subsequent months. Then he made further corrections—in some cases overriding those he made for the serialization—for the 1934. Gabler is the best because they did away with the autistic Anglophone notion of the "ur-text," the idea that the original manuscript is "what the author really meant," instead relying on a blend of continental methodologies which account for the revisions made in the serial and 1934, as well as going back to the manuscript to find places where Joyce may have intended changes but didn't make them for one reason or another. The Gabler isn't perfect, but it's certainly the one that is most sympathetic to Joyce and the magnitude of the project he set for himself—Gabler and his team allowed for the fact that Joyce may have forgotten what he planned to do with some pieces, which the manuscripts and the different editions he edited indicate.

i should say "faircopy," not ur-text. my mistake.

Thank you user, I meant to consult the archive but it's down.

>While much ink has been spilt over the faults and theoretical underpinnings of the Gabler edition, the long-awaited Kidd edition has yet to be published, as of 2015. In 1992 W. W. Norton announced that a Kidd edition of Ulysses was to be published as part of a series called "The Dublin Edition of the Works of James Joyce". This book had to be withdrawn, however, when the Joyce estate objected. The estate refused to authorise any further editions of Joyce's work for the immediate future, but signed a deal with Wordsworth Editions to bring out a bargain version of the novel in January 2010, ahead of copyright expiration in 2012

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)#Editions

what happened to the Kidd edition? and why is the Joyce estate so goddamn shite? I get that they're probably serious codger catholics embarrassed by their fart-loving ancestor and he probably was a detriment to his family when he was alive too, but damn.

Oxford didn't originally publish the 1922 version, they publish it today. Like I said, Oxford's 1922 version comes with extras, ERRATA, explanatory notes, etc. You know what errata means, right?

>original text isn't patrician
>wants to read corrections made by others and not joyce's own raw writing

i bet u read translations as well

i said im reposting that was to someone else

Joyce revised it in 1934, next.

It's not Joyce's raw writing, it's filled with errors others made.

see retard

it might just be sentimentality because that's the first version i read, but I personally like that cover the best

But its soo 80s.

It's definetely sentimentality but I've always liked this cover best (despite never owning it) because it was the one I used to see everywhere before I had read the book and my expectations of the book (which were met) are always still tied to it
This cover gets me excited because it reminds me of seeing my friend reading it and building up the courage to start (it was the first big hard "literary" book I ever tackled)

I feel the same way. We can still get the Modern Library hardcover, which is the other edition I associate with Ulysses.

Seems more Mondrian to me.

looking for ppl who want to read Ulysses in a Veeky Forums chat reading group

discord.gg/01016TZPAPULpxT67

in case this one expired

discord.gg/01016TZPAPUJdarIH

>diagonal lines
>Mondrian

De Stijl in general if you want? Obviously not literally Mondrian.

you literally said mondrian how the fuck do you expect us to infer that you actually didn't mean what you said

you fucked up and tried to act like you know shit you dont know. sack up and accept responsibility, don't act like a bitch and don't do that shit no more

Don't bother reading it, just read about it.