Is anyone familiar with research on batteries or at all interested in them...

Is anyone familiar with research on batteries or at all interested in them? Energy storage is a big part of whats limiting technology. Just think if there were some sort of hybrid semi trucks, or even electric cars that could go 5000 miles on one charge. i'm aware that that's ridiculous at the moment with modern technology but I would like to understand why. What is limiting battery captivity? Has our understanding of physics just not gotten far enough to create batteries like that or is it just a engineering problem. Aren't such batteries theoretically possible?

You can post here or join my team and post here: discord.gg/0yEbWuUxEKrkcffc
We are currently speculate on theoretical technologies.

Other urls found in this thread:

scholar.google.com
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster
ems.psu.edu/~radovic/Chapter4.pdf
eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_08_02.html
greenlaunches.com/gadgets-and-tech/japan-develops-the-most-efficient-electric-motor.php
phys.org/news/2009-12-digital-quantum-battery-boost-energy.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Most of the problem isn't essentially energy storage. It is the fact that electric motors are horrifically inefficient.

Are you aware of any recher to mark them more efficient. Could you recommend any papers on that?

>electric motors are horrifically inefficient.

You're an idiot.

scholar.google.com

Have at it.

>> battery research
You can write the grant in crayon and still get funded.

You are an idiot
Efficiency is around 88-90% for a tesla roadster motor
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster

>mfw starting an inorganic chem PhD and doing research on ion conducting materials for multivalent batteries next fall

ems.psu.edu/~radovic/Chapter4.pdf

>Electric motor (large)
>Electricity/Mechanical
>90% efficient

>Electric motor (small)
>Electricity/Mechanical
>65% efficient

>Automobile engine
>Chemical/Mechanical
>25% efficient

You'll get extra marks if you can explain why this is.

because electricity has already gone through that 25% efficiency process turning it from natural gas into electrical power

I don't know, but I think firstly there's a tradeoff between the capacity and discharge rate, secondly they decrease in capacity very quickly with the number of charge cycles, and thirdly they are electrochemical: for more 'electricity' you need more more ions, and thus more chemicals, so they become larger and heavier.
I'm not sure we'll ever really get past those limitations. I think we might discover chemicals that produce more charge carriers, but ultimately they will have the same limitations.

Sodium-sulfur battery chemistry sounds interesting. I'm betting it'll be the next "breakthrough," but due to its thermal nature it'll only really fill certain niche roles.

The energy to power the vehicle is produced inside a chemical/mechanical motor through combustion, while the electrical energy used to power an electric motor was produced in a power plant and then delivered to the motor through the grid.

But why is the larger electric motor more efficient than smaller one?

(One would also assume the same is true of the chemical/mechanical engine) and it generally is.

I'm not sure why though.

In the equation E (Entropy) is inversely proportional to Power up to a point.

E.g, because of conservation of motion / energy is greater at greater scales.

To put it another way energy transformations go through more steps in a mechanical system.

This is not necessarily the case for chemical systems, though - fuel cells for instance.

>because electricity has already gone through that 25% efficiency process turning it from natural gas into electrical power

and then loses another 65% in the smaller motor.

why?

>Sodium-sulfur battery
are you aware of any research that is actively being conducted on them.

>25% efficiency process turning it
>from natural gas into electrical power
heat rate is BTU per kWh
one kWh is energy equivalent of 3412 BTU
so dividing 3412 by heat rate gives efficiency in percent
2014 data for natural gas plants show efficiencies between 30% (for gas turbine) and 45% (for combined cycle)
eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_08_02.html

No battery chemistry will ever beat Li+.

>inorganic chem
More like...insipid chem. :^)

>ever
top kek

90% is shitty efficiency for electric motors. Wake me when they have 98% efficiency.

>no battery will ever surpass my single electron fire hazard!

How dense can you be? Oh, right, not nearly as dense as the new batteries I'm engineering.

There is no reason we cannot have 100% efficient electric motors.

96% is supposedly the world record.
greenlaunches.com/gadgets-and-tech/japan-develops-the-most-efficient-electric-motor.php

who needs chemistry when you have quantum capacitors:
phys.org/news/2009-12-digital-quantum-battery-boost-energy.html

you get a lot of energy density, but we *cough* can't scale them *cough*

>What is limiting battery captivity?
Electrochemistry has for a long time had a bad rep in chemistry circles, considered just half a notch up from alchemy. Pons and Fleischman didn't help much either.

Then you get problems with efficiency since you need to have both fuel and oxidizer in the same chemistry so inherently you have difficulties overcoming hydrocarbon in raw power density. One exception is air breathing batteries, a weird beast.

The you have a problem if you succeed. These batteries with high efficiencies (like LI S chemistry) are downright explosive. Even the next generation laptop batteries will most likely worry DHS and prevent you from taking that flight.

So you need to spend more efford in safeties which eat away your power densities, thinks like built in fuses and built in relief valves.