How is the Epic of Gilgamesh? Is it worth the read?

How is the Epic of Gilgamesh? Is it worth the read?

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Ant particular edition/translation I should get? What is it translated from anyway?

I have the Steven Mitchell translation. It's translated from Akkadian, which is a Mesopotamian language.

Yes you should read it. Besides being the earliest complete written story we have, it also shows how the early semetic peoples (i.e. Hebrews) shared myths.

Is the Gerald J. Davis or the Stephen Mitchell one superior?

IS there an edition that uses modern language and lingo?

Was Gilgamesh jewish?

Did Gilgamesh and Ekidnu have a gay thing going on?

No. He was a Scientologist.

andrew george's penguin edition is the best edition to get

best commentary, best translation

Do they have modern translations that use today's slang and vernacular, like instead of saying that's bad they say that's ratchet.

They were bros (needless to say, given the time period: before hoes). Same as Achilles and Patroclus.

Gilgamesh was not gay, but Achilles certainly was.

Why do you say that? As far as I remember the Iliad only says they were best buddies ever since childhood.

From the times of Classical Greece, and especially in Hellenism, to the time of the Romans, the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus was presented as loving and pederastic, although these roles are anachronistic for the Iliad. Achilles is the most dominant, and among the warriors in the Trojan War he has the most fame; Patroclus performs duties such as cooking, feeding and grooming the horses, and nursing yet is older than Achilles. Both also sleep with women; see Iliad, IX.663-669:
But Achilles slept in the innermost part of the well-builded hut, and by his side lay a woman that he had brought from Lesbos, even the daughter of Phorbas, fair-cheeked Diomede. And Patroclus laid him down on the opposite side, and by him in like manner lay fair-girdled Iphis, whom goodly Achilles had given him when he took steep Scyrus, the city of Enyeus.
In the 5th century BC, in Aeschylus' lost tragedy The Myrmidons, Aeschylus regarded the relationship as a sexual one and assigned Achilles the role of erastes or protector (since he had avenged his lover's death even though the gods told him it would cost him his own life), and Patroclus the role of eromenos. He tells of Achilles visiting Patroclus' dead body and criticizing him for letting himself be killed. In a surviving fragment of the play, Achilles speaks of a "devout union of the thighs".
Plato presented Achilles and Patroclus as lovers in the Symposium, written around 385 BC. The speaker Phaedrus holds the two up as an example of divinely approved lovers. He also argues that Aeschylus erred in saying that Achilles was the erastes, "for he excelled in beauty not Patroclus alone but assuredly all the other heroes, being still beardless and, moreover, much the younger, by Homer's account.

Alexander the great was gay, and his homosexual relationship with Hephaestion is often compared to that of Achilles and Patroclus.

I see.

>these roles are anachronistic for the Iliad.
So, if we disregard everything that came after it, do you agree that homosexual sex is not hinted at in the Iliad itself?

>In a surviving fragment of the play, Achilles speaks of a "devout union of the thighs".

The penguin edition is great because it explains the neccessary and also quite unassuming complications with reading this text.

Yes, I got that. I was taking about the Iliad. I didn't think there was any hint to anything else other than a very strong friendship.

>needless to say, given the time period: before hoes
That's incorrect, Enkidu's lover is a prostitute.

was gilgamesh a nigger?

Is he called Gigamacious?

he waz a kang

i strongly suspect his first lover was a gazelle or something

>IS there an edition that uses modern language and lingo?

sure

>But here is the problem, guys: Gilgamesh is such a badass he cannot comprehend how people can be ANY LESS BADASS THAN HE so he makes all the dudes in the city he is king of constantly do feats of strength with him and also there is a law that Gilgamesh gets to bone everyone’s wives. So everyone’s bitching to the goddess Eiru like “Hey, Eiru can you make a dude who is a bad enough dude to cockwrestle Gilgamesh?

this

the epic of gilgamesh has significantly stronger hints than they were gay than iliad where the idea of achilles and patroclus being gay follows not from the text itself but from how it was interpreted by the ancient greeks hundred years past homer

now, if take gilgamesh and his dreams about a star and an axe, explained by his mother

>My son, the axe you saw is a friend,
>like a wife you'll love him, caress and embrace him,
>and I, Ninsun, I shall make him your equal.

fucking shat myself