A challenge

I'm a 'new' student, first semester of Mechatronical Engineering. I have been looking at math with a wrong approach my whole life; getting the whole 'I need to get it right the first time' out of my head after years. I am seeking someone patient enough to 'guide' me. I got a scanner and i'll do the exercises you want me to do, even though you'll have to be patient with me. I'm offering you a challenge to make me love Math; even because I want to. I acknowledge how powerful math is.

what the fuck? go find a free tutor at your uni, go to the math lab, harass your profs during office hours, do khan academy, mit open courseware, pirate textbooks the list goes on

what the fuck makes you think some guy on Veeky Forums has the time/desire to be your obiwan kenobi?

Don't get so hung up on why you're doing it the way you're being told to do it.

You can figure out the theory afterward. Just follow the recipe.

i disagree with this completely. you can answer those "why" questions with like 10 minutes on youtube. for me at least, it helps maintain interest

>it helps maintain interest
Your interest isn't valuable to anyone else. Your proficiency might become relevant some day, but there's no point talking to non-passionate grinders.

>You can figure out the theory afterward. Just follow the recipe.
Are you a high school teacher by chance?

>Your interest isn't valuable to anyone else.
whats your point? it keeps me happy and motivated, and it takes practically no time
>but there's no point talking to non-passionate grinders
seems like youre contradicting yourself

Mechatronics is a field of practical application, not blissful academic theory. Understanding WHY you need to use right-triangle trigonometry to calculate the position of a milling cutter's center axis as it travels along an inclined path is secondary to being to do it in a timely manner.

Don't kill yourself trying to figure out why, OP. Just do it. That's what always hangs me up.

Understanding WHY is necessary to figure out what in the fuck to do when your problems aren't carefully worded to hint you into making the right choice. Understanding is as necessary for application as it is for theory - you might pass an interview but you wont be accomplishing much if you don't understand what the fuck you're doing.

There's literally a thread on here on a guy that makes daily videos for his class, and he's in high school. There -are- people like that, some people have that desire to guide someone.

And I am doing khan academy. I just feel that I need a person around.

You don't know what kind of math a mechatronical engineer will actually have to use, do you? Do you even know what they do?

>it takes practically no time
Corollary:
>it's a worthless waste of time
Are you actually interested or are you doing this for stupid reasons like what other people think? In other words, is your interest legitimate and personal or fake and social? Don't tell me how little time it takes, tell me how much it interests you, if at all.

>Do you even know what they do?
Implying the growing crossover field is limited to whatever the fuck you do. Maybe it is if you are a ten-formula monkey.

Read Gelfand's Algebra and Trigonometry books

In a word, efficiency. Efficiency through the use of robotics, computers, as well as mechanical PLCs. Laying out automated assembly lines. Working out how the PLC-driven conveyor belt and CNC welding arm is going to interact with your computerized coordinate positioning software so that your line knows when something isn't right. Setting up modular assembly lines for a production run.

You know, useful stuff that makes pretty good money. You can jerk yourself off over how patrician your mathematical understanding is, but at the end of the day, that's just a hobby for you.

>it keeps me happy and motivated
yes it interests me. what is wrong with you dude? go outside more.

>happy and motivated
What's wrong with me is passion. When you say it provides two stupid little fleeting emotion and on that basis you want someone like me to tutor you, that's an insult to how much I care about this field.

I'm passionate about math, it resonates with me. I want to study it because I like to learn about it. I've never felt any other way about it. It doesn't motivate me or make me happy, it puts me in a flow state. It *engages* me. I have the patience to teach you if you're willing to learn, but I have no sympathy or patience for someone who doesn't care about it beyond boredom alleviation.

The quoted guy is not the OP. I am the OP.
Dude, I would love to be your 'student'. You seem to have the passion for math and that is exactly the kind of person I would love to have around.

Keep wanking about your ego. Independent and successful individuals do more than a limited set of optimization problems in various contexts. Perhaps after initial work experience. You probably rely entirely on software that requires minimal input to customize your problem. Yes, that needs doing, but you have no job security if you can only do the most basic tasks in your field.

>The quoted guy is not the OP. I am the OP.
It doesn't matter if you're OP or not. As much as I like to talk about this stuff, there are a couple fools running around Veeky Forums and /x/ trying to play bait and switch games in a desperate bid for my attention. I want to know how interested you are, not who you are, whether or not you're OP, (because any other anons would have been just as relevant) or if you think I might be a good tutor or not.

You answer qualitatively, quantitatively, or not at all.

How interested I am? Well. Time for the OP to shine.

I have seen math with the wrong view all my life. I only now realize how much of a fool I was, and the problems I could have evicted, the joy I could have by truly learning when I was at early high school. I want to have that joy of learning, something I didn't even imagine.

I want to discover the wonders of math, the power of it. Not just because i'll need it at college. But because it will expand my horizons, and then I can help others just like you did with me. I don't want to be on the shadow of 'hating math'. I want to be enlightened, and adopt the light. I am very interested in pushing my limits and becoming a better person with that.

>help others just like you did with me
I didn't help you at all just now. I was talking about my passion. That's all. If you think I've helped you at all then there is something seriously wrong with you.

I was talking in the future, -if- you help me at all. I'm being optimistic.

Oh right, I see. It's been a long time since I cared to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Let me just do a cost-benefit analysis on explaining my concerns about your motivation in relation to avoiding the regret of wasting time on the idiots that've been doing a horrible job of trying to "gangstalk" me.

You are quite the egotistical wanker. Avoiding idiots is a natural part of life, most learn to do it silently.

>Avoiding idiots
If I did that at my level then the world would perish long before it had a chance to catch up to the rate at which I learn. Some level of tolerance is necessary if I'm meant to interact peacefully and constructively with humanity.

I didn't mean to break up your little chat, but the level of "oh let me see if I have enough energy and willpower to potentially waste on yet another likely idiot" is amazingly cringe. Expressing concerns in one's motivation does not require stroking your ego.

Holy shit. You are Veeky Forums embodied into one being.

>Expressing concerns
You're absolutely right. My ulterior motive is to determine what level of sympathy is necessary for an interaction like this. On some level the student is supposed to respect the individuality of the tutor but I don't know how much respect the tutor is supposed to have for or give to the student. How everyone responds will give me a nice round reply set to analyze.

Well think about it: Do we really need more than one immortal omniscient Veeky Forumsentist? It only takes one person to hold an idea, so that one immortal would be all the scientist anyone needed over time.