Why women don't like to pick STEM degrees and choose rather humanities?

Why women don't like to pick STEM degrees and choose rather humanities?

Because they are "oppressed" and they better do Gender Studies to tell other women that they'll be "oppressed" in a STEM degree and her better option is to do Gender Studies.

Since when?

Answer that and you'll have your reason.

Because somebody has to speak English properly OP.

Because they'd rather bitch and moan about the world rather than buckle down and actually change the world. Women are now feeling the effects of generations of coddling and now they can do nothing except crying. It's pathetic really.

Because they are raised differently, they get different toys, they are rewarded for looks and prettiness and cuteness.

That can't be it, though. My sister and I didn't even GET toys growing up. We had our brother's hand-me-downs. Yet by the age of six, I was still opening up and modifying my NES console. I went out of my way to teach myself to solder at the age of seven.

In college, I studied mathematics and she studied music. Saying that it's purely because of "girls toys" and "boys toys" is facile and vapid.

>they are rewarded for
Agreed that toys have shit all to do with cognitive preferences, but it's mostly about reward systems.

Sample size of 2. Real scientist over here.

STEM is demanding and intimidating to a mental level, which is something we know for a fact woman are not equal to us in and in fact wired oppositely. Women do not possess the ability to compete with men in something that requires what STEM requires. This is why you literally never see any successful woman in STEM other than miniscule, token outliers. STEM requires hunters, people who take risks and explore what is beyond what we know. Women have never been hunters. They are the gatherers and that is why they are always garbage in STEM and resort to weird, illogical conclusions like the whole SJW, Gender Studies quagmire in some effort to not admit that they are mentally inferior and unfit for STEM, naturally.

agreed

that's not fact, that's opinion. I think you are talking bullshit

That's your opinion.

STEM is basically an investment that can sap the best (or prime) years out of your life.

Most women don't have or won't give up that luxury to invest in such an endeavor, especially when said endeavor runs parallel with trying to appeal to a suitable mate and have a family utilizing physical features that starts to deteriorate after turning 30 on average.

That's the kind of effect culture can have on women. Example, in china even though there's a growing trend of young women pursuing serious careers in the work force any single woman after 30 who doesn't have a serious boyfriend/ spouse is considered "leftovers" by a sizable amount of the public.

And even though some of the women say they aren't bother by it, the truth is they are because it starts to make their family look bad.

I should start a company hooking up China's leftover women with lonely white sperglords in the west

As long as those lonely sperglords make good money they'll probably bite.

And by good I mean like 80k or something around that salary since even though they're most likely making 70% of that they still want their men to make more than them.

because women are stupid subhumans for not liking me

>Leftover women who can't find a husband
>Husbands have to be rich

This is the sort of entitled bullshit which got these women into this mess.

Beggars can't be choosers

Bitches and whores family

Female-
For me personally, math was always the class where people were yelling and screaming and i couldnt absorb any of the material.

Have you ever taken university level music theory though? Its harder than most math classes ive taken. Unless shes just doing the easy classes

Isn't it obvious? In general, women are valued for their superficial traits and men are valued for their genuine usefulness. This has been the case for a long time in all of humanity.

Hey I'm not arguing with you that's just how they are. They want to be career women but still want the male who makes more shit too.

Maybe it's because they are entitled or maybe it's an "image" thing to family and friends but that's how it's playing out right now.

This is true but whats the connection to education? A man can make himself useful by chopping wood and doing other mindless physical tasks. If meanwhile the woman is at home doing squats for hot thighs or feeding a child, shes more likely to find a book around the house. Its even better for the children in this case if women -the primary caretakers- are educated and intelligent; it rubs off on them

It depend on what stem degree you are talking about, Chemistry is like 50/50.

if you're into superficial things you probably won't be getting into STEM. It's not glamorous. If you bring up how you're a scientist around an average lay person they will not see you the same anymore, and if you're a woman you will undoubtedly lose out on a lot of attention from people because you're abnormal.

I bet it's because of Pygmalion effect. During early education teachers unintentionally has lower expectation from girls and help them more. Because of that boys develop better skills for analyzing problems and searching for solution, while girls get skills in understanding and applying hints, rules, and methods provided to solve problems.
These two groups of skills is what is essentially required in respective degrees.

Discuss.

It doesn't help that every culture wants the man to be the breadwinner.

They just don't have the autism in them to find STEM interesting.

I don't understand why the fuck women wouldn't want to pursue STEM now.

>Females are highly encouraged to do STEM
>So many scholarships, internships, awards, etc for specifically women in STEM
>(At least in my experience) There are a lot of women STEM professors unless you are talking about engineering so it would be easier to make connections with your professors

The only thing stopping women from pursuing science is themselves. Some people argue the industry/older male scientists are sexist but you can always take it up with HR and they will probably care about you since you're one of the few special snowflake women in STEM.

I'm a chem major and there are a fair amount of women in my classes. So I don't know why there is so much bitching about this.

Women have different brain structures that are ill-suited for STEM fields which require a lot of processing. Women's brains are optimized for social interaction and when they think, they utilize those areas of the brain the most.

Pic related is a correlation average of high IQ men & women's brain and gray matter distributions. White matter is also different in their brains.

All brains are not made the same.

That is strange to me. Most people in my family pursued STEM or finance (women and men). Most of my friends are in STEM. I am always around people in STEM. I fit in by being in STEM.

Well there are a few exceptions like being a teacher, serving in the military or doing police/fireman work where even if you make less than your spouse you have civil service zeal/respect going for you.

The problem is the only civil service jobs you could really do in china as a foreigner would be teaching and sperglords aren't usually in to doing that.

Plus I don't know how the salary, benefits, tenure and retirement in teaching works in china.

Chemistry and Biology are easier, so more women are in those two. If you look literally anywhere else, it is below 50% women by far, normally.

Believing in hand-waving comics is nice and all but I'm almost positive that women who go into gender studies would never go into engineering or technology.

...damn, that's a good point

>I'm almost positive that women who go into gender studies would never go into engineering or technology.
That's exactly what's happening on the picture.

Yes, and it's an incomplete picture. It ignores the women who were pressured by close friends/family/strangers to not go into engineering and instead be a doctor because engineering is for men.
Ex: my wife was asked at least every week if she would consider switching to medicine while she attended university earning her degree in mechanical engineering. We all know how peer pressure works, so you should be able to see the implications.

I don't care about this topic but it's almost sad that there are people who save this comics and post them and actually think there is some sort value in them. It is just like every single politic comic, worthless and idiotic for everyone that doesn't agree with it, absolute truth and comedy gold for those who do.

Because everyone knows that men revolutionize the planet while women deal with individual patients, too emotional to ignore the needs of the few for the big picture. You're not going to find much deep thought regarding gender on Veeky Forums.

What is the political slant of this post?

Boo hoo. Engineering and Doctoring are both technical fields
The only material difference is the amount of money you can be expected to make (doctors tend to make a lot more).
Plenty of people wind up studying things they don't like / things that aren't their first choice.

Sample size doesn't matter when it's a direct counterproof
>"all sheep are white"
>"nope here's a black sheep"
>"WOOOW a single black sheep, what's that supposed to prove?"

Underrated post

>boo hoo
More hand waving.

I would also include the "material difference" of 4-6 years additional schooling, soulcrushing med school loan dept, and being forced to work for free 1/5th of your career as downsides to doctoring

also being sued by every 100th patient for bs malpractice claims

>men are valued

Nah, nobody gets into science to be valued. The men who get into STEM are usually the outcasts who are bad at sports and music and other popular shit and find genuine interest in science for themselves because their lack of friends also gives them a lot of time think about stuff.
Ask anyone who studies STEM and why they study what they do. You won't find anyone who says he does it because it gets you girls or because it makes your family proud or that it makes them famous. You'll always find it's a personal and genuine interest in the world.

So maybe it's precisely the opposite. Women don't get into STEM because not because they are so oppressed but because they are too priviliged. Only a small percentage of women has to deal with being te outcast that nobody likes. Almost every woman is the center of attention of at least one guy, usually more

Not that user but another big difference between engineering and medicine is stress. Being a Doctor is a lot more stressful on average than an engineer and if I had girlfriend/wife who was deciding between the two I would much prefer that she goes into engineering for her own peace of mind.

Sometimes that extra amount of money just isn't worth the trouble.

They don't get in to be valued individually, the get in because science requires an education and educated men are valued more than women.

If you want to talk about hand waving then there has to be consideration that somewhat immeasurable effects like 'peer pressure' are hand-wavey.

In countries where women have less personal freedom there is a stronger tendency for women to enter STEM fields if they go to college. I doubt it can be taken as a given that there is an equal but opposite societal pressure on women in the western world to avoid STEM.

>peer pressure is hand waving
Social sciences, what're you gonna do? Ba dum tss.
>women go into STEM
I'm talking specifically about engineering and technology, where the actual gaps lie.

Depends on your aptitude and interest, dude. Also he never said that it's easier or whatnot, you're making that part up, so stop projecting, friend.

Umm, so did I, except not by random friends/classmates, but by my parents. They threatened to stop paying for my living costs during college (and eventually did -- I had scholarships though so fuck them) because I did a full 180 and decided to pursue a career in academia (physics). Did I bitch and moan? Did I get swayed because of these "expectations" (and the very real cut-off by my family)?

No, so fuck off. Everyone has pressures put on them and their career. Most everyone grows a thick enough skin to deal with it. The only difference is that women, on the whole, like to bitch and moan a lot more about their problems than men do.

Engineering is stress aswell, however since a doctor is responsible of somebody's life I can understand the stress they experience.

>HURR fuck off
>DURR women like to bitch and moan
Well tipped my fellow physics major.

Yes but obviously we're talking about averages

this guys is still a retard tho

An interesting and believable theory but there's zero evidence

Women are overwhelmingly within 1 standard deviation of the mean and lack the rightward and leftward plurality to pursue certain things.

>Did I bitch and moan?
yes, and you still are

>Its harder than most math classes ive taken
Because you've only taken pre-calc, dumbass. Like what Euler thought, music theory is literally just applied number theory.

>this guys is still a retard tho

You literally proved that I was correct, and then proceed to call me a retard. You're not the brightest bulb, are you?

>believing the variance meme

>Because everyone knows that men revolutionize the planet while women deal with individual patients

Replace men with whites, and women with non-whites, and you have a more accurate picture of reality.

So is Bio and Math if I remember correctly.

Not really, it's pretty well known here that Math is pretty close to 40/60 or 50/50 in gender percentages, so even if Chem and Bio were easier as you say, your post still wouldn't make sense.

>replicable results are not science when my agenda gets ruined

Basically describes Veeky Forums as a whole.

I would contend they may be lumping math educators into the count

somebody explain why bio, chem, and math is relatively even with men and women, but physics and engineering is a sausage fest?

yep, majority of women in math go into education

Engineering in non-Western EU or murica is quite widespread with women as well. The only field that still has a relative discrepancy worldwide would be physics, but it would be unscientific to point to just one reason to explain that. Pretty sure the gap will be covered over time, just like with other fields.