Learning programming

Okay anons I just completed my high-school I have some months vacation so I decided to learn programming
I'm interested in Python
I'm not born programmer I'm complete noob I only know Java till core
Can some one recommend me some book or course which works or which you have used
-thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/
khanacademy.org/math,
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what are you like 17? go away
-thank you

codeacademy.com

hmm star with Greeks.
-you'r welcome

Woah thanks user
I'm 19 :)

Start with Pythagoras (inventor of the Python programming language)

>I'm 19 :)
>completed my high-school
why did you wait so much???

My diary, d e s u.

pajeet my boy

I joined late :c and there are some people who are 21
#middleeast
Not pajeet but paki

oh okay, no problem.

Start with the Greeks

Accelerated C++ (Koenig)

The C Programming Language (Kernighan)

learnpythonthehardway.org/book/intro.html

Babbage or bust. Start with Babbage.

start with the greeks

Makes sense then.. that's illegal here in the states.

Code Academy won't teach you shit.
Start start with the Antikythera mechanism

Pajeet already knows fucking Python. That's like my KG level.

"""""knows"""""

start with the sicp

"""""(you)""""" Get a ''''''life'''''

Honestly not bad advice. If you're sincerely interested in programming, you'll get on fine with it. Just pay attention.

I would if I didn't have to spend so much time babysitting Indian programmers :^)

how does one link computer programming to literature
how can i transfer the feelings i get from lit to computer programming
i want that money

absurdist code is all the rage right now, I recently created a java class called Pointless that returns no reference to the variable when an object is instantiated

The Art of Computer Programming is better desu

SICP is just an autistic meme

Op here is this true
?

You'll never accomplish anything if you don't read both, faggot.

Okay will read ;)

Codeacademy blew my mind

You can be successful without reading either

No, TAOCP is a huge, dense, incomplete reference series of currently 5 volumes and counting of all everything computer science with information ranging from ternary computers to the Boolean Satisfiability Problem. It's a good series but definitely not one to start with..

TAOCP is way more Veeky Forums than SICP (just read the first chapter)... if you read something like C For Dummies beforehand and code up the pseudo code along the way. The theory is way more useful in TAOCP I find. Functional programming is just intellectual masturbation.
from chapter 1:
>The word “algorithm” itself is quite interesting; at first glance it may look as though someone intended to write “logarithm” but jumbled up the first four letters. The word did not appear in Webster’s New World Dictionary as late as 1957; we find only the older form “algorism” with its ancient meaning, the process of doing arithmetic using Arabic numerals. During the Middle Ages, abacists computed on the abacus and algorists computed by algorism. By the time of the Renaissance, the origin of this word was in doubt, and early linguists attempted to guess at its derivation by making combinations like algiros [painful]+arithmos [number]; others said no, the word comes from “King Algor of Castile.” Finally, historians of mathematics found the true origin of the word algorism: It comes from the name of a famous Persian textbook author, Abū ‘Abd Allāh Muh. ammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī (c. 825)—literally, “Father of Abdullah, Mohammed, son of Moses, native of Khwārizm.” The Aral Sea in Central Asia was once known as Lake Khwārizm, and the Khwārizm region is located in the Amu River basin just south of that sea. Al-Khwārizmī wrote the celebrated Arabic text Kitāb al-jabr wa’l-muqābala (“Rules of restoring and equating”); another word, “algebra,” stems from the title of that book, which was a systematic study of the solution of linear and quadratic equations. [For notes on al-Khwārizmī’s life and work, see H. Zemanek, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 122 (1981), 1–81.]
>Gradually the form and meaning of algorism became corrupted; as explained by the Oxford English Dictionary, the word “passed through many pseudo-etymological perversions, including a recent algorithm, in which it is learnedly confused” with the Greek root of the word arithmetic. This change from “algorism” to “algorithm” is not hard to understand in view of the fact that people had forgotten the original derivation of the word. An early German mathematical dictionary, Vollständiges mathematisches Lexicon (Leipzig: 1747), gave the following definition for the word Algorithmus : “Under this designation are combined the notions of the four types of arithmetic calculations, namely addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division.” The Latin phrase algorithmus infinitesimalis was at that time used to denote “ways of calculation with infinitely small quantities, as invented by Leibniz.”
>By 1950, the word algorithm was most frequently associated with Euclid’s algorithm, a process for finding the greatest common divisor of two numbers that appears in Euclid’s Elements (Book 7, Propositions 1 and 2).

This kid just got out of highschool my dude

Look up Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, and Making Games with Python and Pygame. They give you interesting enough projects to make you stick with it.

After you're comfortable with the language you can try going to Project Euler to feed your mathematical side

CS student graduating in fall btw

to continue
I learnt to code with 6502 assembly on a commodore 64 then I moved on to C
learning to code first in 8-bit assembly means you can grasp very low level knowledge that if you start with higher level languages you will probably never fully appreciate and will grasp how computers actually function without all the abstractions of higher level languages
8-bit CPUs have way less instructions and are easily to understand
playing around and trying to code a little game for a 8 bit video game system will force you to learn a lot and its not as difficult as you think

try this tutorial:
skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/

Actually I registered for computer science I'm just afraid of maths calculus
College starts after 3 months so I thought I Can learn something before
I'm was a commerce student in high school without maths
I have the PDF will try

uh you should probably focus on learning math if you are going to do computer science.

Can you give me some idea like what kind of maths

Op, you're on the wrong board. Look at /g/'s wiki. They have reading recommendations. Use Veeky Forums's guide to get most of the books, but The Art of Computer Programming should be purchased. It isn't expensive. Now, please post to the correct board from now on. You're on the wrong board and these questions are easily answerable by even the most minuscule of effort when applied to the right avenues.

Okay and sorry ;)

Start with Machine Code

I'm a computer engineering student, but I program in an internship outside of school. Here are a few books that helped me:

- The C Programming Language
- The Art of Computer Programming (don't try to read through it, it is a mammoth)
- The Mythical Man Month
- The Art of Exploitation (I ended up getting certified with Cyber Security +, but another studying book would be needed for that)

The rest I picked up from places like codeacademy and building my own programs. Learning to code is easy, but to program proficiently is another beast. Study math and take your classes seriously, otherwise IT may be a better avenue to venture down. My girlfriend switched to IT was offered a job at a major automative producer as a software engineer. I wish you luck, OP.

Also Linux master race.

Thanks mate ;) BTW what distro do you use I used to use Debian now I use Ubuntu

You don't need to read any of those books to get a job... it's enough to go to a code camp or something, get some exp, and you can get a job

you can read those books later... starting with them discourages learners

why the fuc would you want a job?? you'll never master pure theory and achieve satori my friend; enjoy being a brain dead plebeian normie coding javashit for your corporate overlords

can confirm "Automate the boring stuff with python". I'm halfway through and I love it.

Linux From Scratch, read, build and own the most personal system you will ever have.

OP, the best advice i can give is to find your own way. you will learn way more going through the python documentation and googling concepts that don't make sense at first. don't listen to people recommending kernighan and ritchie, the book is almost 40 years old for fucks sake. or the people telling you to read their old college textbooks.

right now you just need to be able to make stuff work. learn python the hard way is a good one, but the official documentation and stack overflow will be your best resources.

Listen to this guy if you want to end up a shitty programmer making jury rigged fuckup jobs that will cause way more pain then help

Dude, there was absolutely nothing difficult about that, it's just a bit of trivia that requires no thinking on your part.

if you want to learn python, you don't need to learn C to do it. just learn fucking python. throw pointers and linked lists at this kid, he will give up and be working at mcdonalds in a week.

Anonymous:
I have bookmarked this post so that I can reference it in the essay I'm currently writing: "Veeky Forums: The Spearhead of Postmodernism".
Thank you for the quality post and an excellent joke.
-Anonymous

this is the real answer
/thread

actually I started with PHP when it was still cool and then Node.js and them scheme and now Clojure but yeah SICP is a great starting place

no. codecademy is whack. read SICP

sounds like gay shit for fags

>starting with them discourages learners
no it just generates loads of shit programmers is all

>programming in the current year
how does it feel to be the white collar equivalent of construction workers?

and if so the programming profession will be better off for it
dont make out that you cant learn pointers and linked lists if you spend more than 8 minutes on them

Do you have any idea what type of math you will be learning at first in College? How does the college system work in Pakistan?

Math is an essential part of computer science and you at least should have an understanding of graphing or something. From you stated you had no math training, which is a little hard to believe. Try using the subjects here, khanacademy.org/math, as a guideline and if you can't get past the eighth grade then you should consider doing some serious study on math over the summer.

You should probably study over the summer until you are ready for precalculus. Whatever college you are at probably has algebra at the very least.

In terms of what math level you might need to reach in college, I'm going for a CMPS degree in the US and the following subjects are required:
Differential, integral and multivariable calculus
Linear algebra
A small portion of statistics
Discrete math is required but is a computer specific type of mathematics and not taught outside of computer science or engineering.

Also, don't use khanacademy as your sole studying source, find a real textbook. and could probably help with that.

I am paki but I live in UAE

I wanted to learn programming some time ago, and obviously started with codeacademy, but come on its "functional" activity, every code is wrote for some purpose, and what could i do if i have no ideas to write code? Also amount of shit i must download to create something own was horrible. It appears sudenly that i dont like computers, despite working with them and goes to sleep with them

Really OP before you start with any of these meme books you should study maths first, what kind of school let you in without any maths qualification ?

Do as suggest. There's also topics such as permutation, set theory, number theory, matrix and vector, trigonometric, bitwise operations. Schaum's is a good-enough series of textbooks that you can study from, and cheap too.

Then start with algorithm books like Cormen et al.

Stay away from /g/.

>Learning programming from books

If you try that you will never, ever get good an it will take you 1000x longer

studying computer science at university is for people that aren't that smart and need to have their hand-held....MS in Computer Science stands for Mediocre Schlepper

You're an asshole and you should feel bad about yourself

You need to hone your problem solving skills. Always have this as your priority else you'll never outgrow and stop being mediocre and become a competent problem-solver. Programming, as is math, is about problem solving period. As I see it, you need to know propositional logic (also called sentential and boolean logic) because programs/algorithms consist of sets of statements and control structures (if-then, if-then-else, while, etc.) incorporate the idea of truth, truth-values, and truth-conditions (you need to commit the truth tables of AND, OR, IF...THEN, NEGATION to memory); knowing a couple of logical tautologies (de Morgan laws e.g.) for rewriting a complex statement to a simpler, but logically equivalent statement, wouldn't hurt either. Next, assimilate the jargon surrounding functions and how they work. Know the difference between a function's name and the function its name is referring to, the difference between an argument, parameter and value of a function, how a function is defined and what constitutes a definition of a function (the ideas of domain, codomain, etc.), operations on functions, types of functions (bijection, surjection, injection), computational complexity of functions. In summary, get a Calculus (assumes pre-Calculus knowledge) and a Discrete Maths text as says. When you got these covered read Cormen as suggests, study the algorithms therein and understand WHY they work.

Even though you won't use all of these ideas in your programming you really want to think mathematically when you solve problems, so being able to discern a bijection from an injection is indispensable.