How much salt do you put in your pasta water, Veeky Forums?

how much salt do you put in your pasta water, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

middleschoolchemistry.com/lessonplans/chapter5/lesson3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride
decodedscience.org/chemical-bond-strongest/38154
youtube.com/watch?v=47o482D_1Vs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

less than my potato water but more than my spinach water

about 1% salt by volume.

enough to make the water saltier than the gulf of naples

I cook my pasta in fresh seawater

10 grams per liter

better question: how much olive oil?

i put 3-5 lugs

just a medium plop.

I pay closer attention when I'm cooking some kind of pasta that has to boil down, but still a bit of deviation is ok, I typically judge by sight.

less than most I imagine, but thats becuase I boil pasta with about as much water as you did, reducing the pasta water till its very thick to combine a sauce with. that means all the salt I put into the water is going in me instead of poured out.

none because it doesn't do anything

Could you do pasta in a rice cooker?

kek found the whitey

do you boil your chicken in the same water?

It doesn't add flavor, and it keeps the sauce from sticking to the noodles. Don't add oil to the water.

seasons the pasta

I do it by instinct. It turns out nice usually.

It makes the pasta salty, user-chan.

Why don't they just pre-season the pasta?

this

not sure but i think its always better to have control

Dumb question but should you season the pasta while it is boiling in the water or after you drain it? Not just with salt, but other seasonings as well?

Like with a bay leaf and cumin?

5-6 teaspoons is the perfect amount for a big pasta pot half full of water.

I just put salt in my sauce.

Guys can I get some (you)'s? My wife gave me herpies

Guys how do I make pasta? My gf left me yesterday

>Never could tell the difference
>Run a double-blind taste test with people who claim un-salted water produces shit pasta
>They can't pick the salted from unsalted any better than random chance
>Run another blind test with 3 options all being control group unsalted
>Each person picked a different one

After that I stopped and instead perfected the salt in the sauce instead.

a rice cooker is no more than a water boiler that shut off once the water is gone (ie when the temp goes over 100c)
so of course

also I add no salt, I add salty ham later on

It's okay buddy my wife has a bigger penis that me

how dare people possibly waste salt.

KYS

I'm not saying anyone should stop, but why would I put salt in when it does nothing? It's not like salt is expensive, but I might as well just throw it over my shoulder for good luck, since it seems to be more a part of a ritual than anything that adds to the meal.

because gordon ramsay bitched at someone on masterchef for undersalting their pasta water.

pretty sure that guy knows what he's doing.

Ok, so maybe it's a really refined pallet that can taste it, but I can't, my family can't, my friends can't...and I won't be cooking for Gordon Ramsay or world-class chefs, so why would I bother?

This is all based on the premise that Ramsay actually could taste a difference and it wasn't just the same trick of the mind my subjects experienced, picking a perfectly salted sample from a control batch that had no salt, even going so far as to order the 3 in different levels of salinity.

shut the fuck up you uncultured faggot.

>pallet

>refine pallet
Carved from 300 year old rainforest hardwoods by master artisans. The blood of 8 native woodcutters is now soaked into the timber. adding an earthy hue to it.

God I want to slap that face. And that's a compliment.

I make salt potatoes and the salt sticks to the potato skin when it boils. It obviously does the same to pasta. Granted a lot less salt in the pasta than when making salt potatoes but anyone who says it does nothing is retarded and needs to stop smoking or something. It doesn't magically stick to potato skin then decide on its own to not stick onto and into the pasta.

it does slightly flavor the pasta, if you're using dried pasta, I'm not sure about fresh pasta

I tried store-bought dried, one lot of homemade and dried from a nice Italian lady down the road from me and one lot fresh.

did the italian lady get berried the other day.

it's a subtle flavoring that salting the water adds, basically it makes it so less salt is needed in the sauce itself

You need to put more salt in the water you dingus.

Holy shit I thought Veeky Forums knew how to cook.

>there are actually people on ck who don't put salt in pasta water

Which still makes no sense because you're losing most of the salt to the water, regardless of how much the pasta soaks up. Why not just get the seasoning and sauce right from the start?

YOU PUT TOO LITTLE SALT IN THE WATER YOU FUCKING MORON.

>put 1 little pinch of sugar in your morning porridge
>hurr why dont I taste a difference? sugar is useless...

KILL. YOUR. SELF.

You don't serve plain pasta on a plate like that.

it's kind of just for those who like their pasta lightly sauced

yes i do, idiot.

You are seriously so dumb right now. No shit you don't. It salts the pasta. You can taste it. Holy fuck.

>You need to put more salt in the water
But, user, I did. I kept raising the salt content until people could reliably taste it as saltier than the rest, but that was around 20000ppm. If I can get the same result from using a fraction of the salt out of the water, why would I add it to the water?

If you just sprinkled that extra salt in the sauce when you mix it all together, you'd never notice the difference.

I Don't Understand Scientific Method: The Post

Yes you would.

yes I would. you dont know me or anything about me.

It seasons the pasta more evenly, and you have a higher chance of overseasoning your pasta if you add salt after draining it.

You should boil your pasta in a generous amount of water with 5 teaspoons of salt in it.

Just season the chicken tit once it comes off the grill, right? No difference if you season any foods before or after cooking. None. Go live your life.

>I'm A Retarded American Who Doesn't Know How To Season Pasta Water Properly

no wonder your minorities make fun of you for not seasoning your food.

salting the pasta water gives the pasta a stronger flavor when mixed with the sauce. unless youre pureeing the pasta with the sauce or eating it without tasting it, you should taste the difference.

>American
Gosh you are so salty

Yes you fucking do, it actually disgusts me that some people ruin their pasta by not seasoning the water.

fuck off I'm white and salt my water, probably a better cook than you.

I like how cooking encourages people to just make up bullshit like this to justify the tradition they grew up with

Thank you.

To be fair, it's hard to prove either way.

You either put in way, way too little salt or you are just completely full of shit.

>nigger boiling chicken

Off yourself

I'm going to go with completely full of shit

>look at me im a faggot contrarian who thinks he's smarter than everyone in history

So if you have 2L of water, do you measure 20mL of salt, or do you pour salt in until the water level reaches 2.02L? And if you do the first one, do you use kosher salt or table salt?

The water will never reach 2.02L.

water has volume
salt has volume
water + salt = more volume
Sounds pretty reasonable to me senpai

That wouldn't be 1% by volume. It would be close, but less than 1%. You'd need 1.98 liters of water and 20mL salt.

i'm american. about 200 teaspoons equals a quart here. for every quart of water i put about 2 teaspoons of salt.

but thiswould also work. it doesn't need to be exactly 1%, just not quite 2% or 0.5%.

The volume decreases until saturation at about 35%.

So in 2L of water, that's about 700 grams of salt, or 140 teaspoons.

It will reach 2.02L but you'll probably run out of salt first.

>Capitalizing Every Word For No Reason

>2016
>using salt

>God I want to slap that face. And that's a compliment.
my nigga

>Veeky Forums arguing whether a brine is effective or not.

>adding oil to boiling water

Rule of thumb is that your water should be "salty like the sea" when boiling pasta. Little tip I picked up from a guy named "Antonio" when I was working at a late night restaurant in Florence, Italy back in 2009.

a teaspoon you fucking idiot.

I usually buy a big packet of salt and dump it all in a big pot (like restaurant stock pot big) and fill it with water and just boil all my pasta in that for about a week.

I have obviously not been salting my pasta water appropriately.

1 volumes plus another doesn't decrease wtf

I'm not necessarily saying that you're wrong, but I can easily taste the salt in the pasta once I've cooked it. How much salt did you add to the water? You have to add a lot more than you think.

not too much, because I add some pasta water to the sauce to thicken it with starch

certainly not sea-level saltiness that is stupid

do you even middle-school-level chemistry class user

absolutely none

>Whiteys getting butturt
Go back to making flavorless casserole you dirty cumskin

2 Table spoons per serving.

you cannot possibly be that stupid

I desperately hope you're not over 20 because that would be just sad

do what and read some basic chemistry; he even tried to explain it to you in simple terms and your only argument is that you don't believe him because you don't understand basic facts

you know, it's not the end of the world that you don't know things, just don't be a conceited cunt; be more receptive when someone tries to teach you something

The volume wouldn't decrease, though, right? It would just stay the same. Unless you guys mean the total volumes of the salt plus the water. I guess that's what you mean.

a punch of salt

by "the volume decreases" he meant that (water_volume+salt_volume), which sure you can add up initially, will decrease

it will decrease because the salt in the water

salt is made up of sodium and chloride, held together by ionic bonds (a type of chemical bond which is fairly weak); water is rather good at breaking these bonds

I'm no expert by any means, so don't ask me what the compound of the resulting solution looks like exactly

but like user also said, eventually the volume will of course increase, but you'll need a high salt to water ratio to notice

here's some references instead of unreliable info from me

middleschoolchemistry.com/lessonplans/chapter5/lesson3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride
decodedscience.org/chemical-bond-strongest/38154

youtube.com/watch?v=47o482D_1Vs

two teaspoons to two tablespoons.

you got to be careful with eggs and mash, you'll ruin that shit.

6gr per liters but you need way more watre than there is on this pic