A male Nurse?

Will I get laughed at for being a male Nurse, Veeky Forums? I'm thinking about doing it as a career and then becoming a doctor later in life.

You'll never go back to school after you start working as a nurse.

Why

Not him, but you can make decent pay as a nurse and it's really unlikely for you to go through nursing school and training only to eventually go right back into med school and start shouldering more expenses, etc.

No you won't get laughed at as a male nurse, it's actually a pretty noble profession IMO. Few people are caring and patient enough to do it for a living. Plus, you can make bank as a nurse anesthetist or something similar.

You will have to compensate for being a male nurse by being super buff.

I-I'm not buff. I'm not even tall.

hey ! you'll make a great soap opera character :^)

You should start lifting, then.

Obviously, the male to female ratio of nurses in any given hospital is pretty low. Male nurses are summoned the moment any heavy lifting is required (think: fatasses).

Source: did IT at a hospital during undergrad.

Yeah, I'm not fit at all and I'm short (estimately 5'7", although I live in Europe so it's not as devastating as it would be in the U.S.).

But I am not squeamish at all or anything. I can handle blood and the like.

I am pretty jumpy, though. I'm nervous a lot, like.

But if I maybe lift and try to get the other shit under control, should I go for it or should I not even bother?

I would prefer to be a doctor, but it's way harder to go into Medical school here than it is for Nursing until I'm 23 or over.

If your plan is to eventually go into medical school, there are far better undergrad degrees than nursing to get you there.

In the US, a growing trend is for people to study Biomedical Engineering (provided you have access to a decent school for it) for undergrad and then apply to medical school. If you become a full nurse, it would be super dumb for you to go back to medical school and become a doctor because for far less money and time you could just go on to become a nurse practitioner or a nurse anesthetist and make very good money.

I suppose so. My original plan was to study Analytical Chemistry and then work as a QC analyst for a few years and save up some money to go to Medical school.

The sciences are really what I'm interested, and I really like the prospect of being a doctor because I was around them so often as a child, and it's high-paying too.

If you want to go to medical school at all make sure you get flawless grades, regardless of what you study. I had to work while pursuing my undergrad which resulted in a fairly average GPA. Without a high GPA, medical school isn't really an option. Seen lots of premed people in a similar situation. Stuck with a degree and not able to go on to med school because they can't get in. That said, nursing is a pretty safe bet for entering the job market.

>and I really like the prospect of being a doctor because I was around them so often as a child, and it's high-paying too.
Not good enough reasons to become a doctor. Learn from other people's horror stories user. You are not the first to be tempted by tales of great life, prestige and high pay. Med school is a long journey you do not want to take.

Go into the sciences if that's what you are really interested in. If you want to make bank, go into CS if you can tolerate it.

>The sciences are really what I'm interested
cool
> and I really like the prospect of being a doctor
that's not really related to science at all. not in the sense of me dissing physicians like this board usually does, but I mean you literally will not apply the scientific method, you won't learn/discover any new science. you have to learn a lot of scientific ideas in biology/physiology, but this does not mean that you will be performing science.
>it's high-paying too
famalamalamalam
please think about why you actually would like to go through the grueling experience of applying to med schools, going through med school, applying for a residency, going through a residency, being an intern, etc etc all on less than 3 hours of sleep a day. doctors are paid well because it's shit hours and ridiculous amounts of effort, and don't you dare think about the money in any other way.

Med school here, 100% on point on the science thing.
You learn physiological, chemical and biological processes but do not delve deeply into the theory behind it all.

Only if you get a research position you can choose to do some more sciencey things but that's a good way to kill your social life or get a burnout with the amount of pressure you'll be under.

Will you get laughed at? no.

It will actually be very easy for you to find a job as most places would consider a male nurse a "diversity" hire surprisingly seeing as how there are so many women

>nurse to medschool
Nurses and doctors are very different, and do very different things trying to fufill very different roles.

Nurses make a fuckton of money in some states (starting salaries 70k$ not unheard of). Med school is awful and I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

>wifes a nursefag
>myself is physicianfag

I work in a hospital and they're not laughed at, in fact typically they're by far more versatile than their female co workers. And hey, if you're single you're just one rung down from a doctor

Why not just become a nurse practicioner?

^this

either commit to med or commit to nursing
it is wrong to assume
paramedic > nurse > doctor
is a progression path
they are all very different careers with very different focuses and methodologies

I'm a male and I start nursing school in 2 weeks. My first undergrad is biochemistry, and scholarships got me through that with no debt. I don't want to go further into biochemistry, and I don't want to go to medical school. Nursing school to Nurse Practitioner is way cheaper than being a doctor. Becoming a PA takes less time in school, but you need prior medical experience, and Nurse->NP is about as expensive for me as becoming a PA outright.

>if you want to make bank, go into CS

>I am pretty jumpy though
I'd try to get any height I could if I were 5'7" too