Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums.

My brother is throwing a bbq for his birthday this weekend and I want to make some special chili for it. Only thing I really care about is that it is made with shredded beef.

Does anyone have any recipe recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk.edgesuite-staging.net/food/recipes/beef_chilli_with_bitter_27455
youtube.com/watch?v=xe4JkMT0DvM
youtube.com/watch?v=UUvYcUbxzYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

use whole tomatoes and cut them up sort of in the pot but not completely. it will be delish.

In my regular recipe I've been using canned, both sauce and cubed. I was thinking about making it with no tomato sauce this time.

Any thoughts on tomatoless chili? Should I go with heirloom if I do put in sliced chunks?

add the spices in stages. aromatics and chilis first, other stuff when the beef is beginning to break down

throw a roasted marrow bone in there, helps immensely.

brown your roast/chunks deeply in the oven at 425 before adding to the pot. make sure to deglaze

be generous with the fat, throw a big slice of the fat cap from your beef in there for a few hours to render out or add some bacon fat and crumbled bacon

consider not using tomatoes, or only a small amount of tomato paste

this bitch will have to cook a long time to get to shredded consistency, consider a slow cooker on low for 8-10hrs

>inb4 salsa chicken

sorry I meant canned whole tomatoes.

Your post is great, thank you. I really love the marrow idea and have never cooked with it before. How do you roast it?

I was able to find the recipe I used before,
3 - 4lb / 1.5 - 2 kg beef chuck roast (or any other beef suitable for slow cooking) (see notes)
2 tbs olive oil (optional - for searing the beef)
8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 onions (white, yellow or brown), diced
1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), seeds removed and diced
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste) (see notes)
3 tbsp cornflour / corn starch mixed with a splash of water
2 cans 15oz/400g red kidney beans, drained (total of 30 oz / 800g)
28oz/800g can crushed or diced tomato
ΒΌ cup tomato paste
1 cup water or beef stock
3 tsp salt, separated (plus more to taste)
Black pepper

Is searing on a cast iron skillet as effective as roasting in the oven?
Should I season the meat with salt and pepper and flour it before searing?
Based on the recipe above, what are the aromatics vs the spices? Veggies get added once the meat starts breaking down?

Slow cooker is the way to go, it's what I always use :)

Any other suggestions?

Beans

I was thinking going beanless since its shredded beef.

You'd better think again.

Could you make it with pulled pork? I got a good recipie for that.

375 for about 30-35 minutes, until the marrow reallt shrinks away

don't bother with the powdered spices if you use real veg equivalents IME and definitively don't add beans until the last hour of cooking

searing is fine just a pain in the ass with a big chunnk of beef vs oven roasting it

I've heard mixed opinions on beans in chili. Since it's going to be made with shredded beef I didn't think the beans would add much to it.

Do I add the shrunken marrow to the chili or just what's left of the bone?

Use this recipe:
bbc.co.uk.edgesuite-staging.net/food/recipes/beef_chilli_with_bitter_27455
Dont add the chocolate, use rehydrated beans instead of canned, season the whole thing to your liking, and use stewing steak instead of frying steak; the stuff you have to slow cook. Slow cook the chilli for 5 hours or so, the steak goes buttery soft an the flavors all develop and meld during that time.

definitely add the marrow to the pot

I'm planning on using 2-3 lbs of filet mignon and a couple pounds of boneless short ribs.

>a bbq
>bringing chili
>doesn't have a recipe

Did your brother request chili or what? Protip, I've never seen it on a BBQ restaurant menu, ever. Or is this some generic potluck instead?

Why not do something that doesn't compete with the mains? Bring some stuffed dates wrapped in bacon to finish on the grill, or stuffed jalapenos, or chicken wings to brush with worchestershire and butter and finish on the grill, or some great argentine sausage w/ chimmichurri. Or a big pimento cheese ball and crackers, curried deviled eggs, or a giant pot of ham hocks and collard greens, or the worlds best potato salad, cowboy beans filled with meat, macncheese.

But I posted the recipe. I'm just looking for suggestions to improve it and get different opinions.

Best recipe I ever used was by a guy who nearly choked his son to death for injecting marijuana. ...here's a video recipe off it.

Best part is, it's a "lazy" recipe so it's quick and tasty

youtube.com/watch?v=xe4JkMT0DvM

>2-3 lbs of filet mignon and a couple pounds of boneless short ribs.

that's grotesque, even for a fake troll post

use round or sirloin for actual beefy flavor

>Protip, I've never seen it on a BBQ restaurant menu, ever.
Bullshit

I cant tell if you're serious or not. I just know this guy is a meme.

Not a troll post. Please explain. I usually use those meats and it comes out great.

99 percent of idiots here hate filet for some reason, and the ones who like it think it can only be eaten with salt and pepper

filet is a uniquely delicate part of the cow that needs to cooked in very specific ways to bring out its best qualities and also retardedly expensive if you're just going to boil it down into shreds. You do that to cheap, tough meat, not expensive cuts.

You're talking about turning $40-50 worth of meat into a pot of stew, think, man think.

If it tastes better, it tastes better. Does it taste better?

I have heard people decry the use of beans in chili as sinful, as if chili must be a puree of pure meat. I scoff at the notion of avoiding beans. If a recipe is any good, it would be good even if all the meat were replaced by beans. Chili peppers are a seasoning, and any food espousing its virtue should be capable of standing on the strength of the seasoning.

no. it tastes worse. stewing a filet is absolutely haram, you might as well use tofu for the amount of flavour you'll get it out of it. You need cuts with much stronger flavor, like chuck, round or shank.

cook chili beans on the side and put it next to the chili and people can add it in as they please. Personally, i hate chili beans because they dont add flavor and the texture is disgusting

Just make a turkey chili instead. They're better.

its not shredded its slow cooked to the point where the joint just breaks apart.

Is this a popular opinion?

reasonably popular, yes.

If you put beans in your chili you should kys

What if I added some rib eye caps? How would that effect the flavor? Or is chuck and round still better?

rib eye is great stuff, expensive but tastier than filet by far. short ribs and chuck.or sirloin are my faves for stew or chili bbut if you can drop cash on ribeye go for it

What's wrong with beans?

Does anyone have any chili recipes they swear by?

youtube.com/watch?v=UUvYcUbxzYI

ginger ale or a can of beer are a good replacement for water in the dish.

My mom adds a little coffee when she makes chili.

Some people like it.

Used to work at a place where espresso was the "secret ingredient". Pretty popular.

assuming you have a large stewing pot or dutch oven that can go on the stovetop -

roast a bunch of chili peppers, or alternatively, soak some dried chili peppers. when they're done, put them in a blender with a bit of oil, black pepper, lots of cumin, and lots of garlic. cinnamon and cocoa powder are nice, optional. blend into paste.

get a large chuck roast, cut it into 2-3 thick slabs.

thoroughly brown the chuck on both sides over very high heat. set aside.

chop a lot of onions and start caramelizing them
chop the chuck into big cubes. thoroughly mix with the onions and the spice paste. put the lid on the pot and put it in the oven at 350 or so.

meanwhile, make some rice & beans. skillet cornbread is good too.

after about one-hour the chuck should be fork-tender. season to taste with salt and with any extra-savoriness ingredient you have on hand, like soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste or fish sauce. serve with the rice & beans, sour cream/creme fraiche/crema, chopped fresh cilantro and/or green onions, and lime wedges.

Digs breath chili is goat

Dogs not digs