This ends today

What is the

>most challenging major

>most respected major

in Veeky Forums's opinion?

Everything will be tallied to reach a final decision.

Computer Science
Computer Science

Physics
Physics

Pure/Theoretical Engineering
Pure/Theoretical Engineering

>most challenging major
Electrical Engineering with Chemical Engineering directly behind it
>most respected major
I couldn't pinpoint this, but it's definitely going to be between Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, and Mathematics.

this is assuming we're at a top 100 university

>most challenging major
depends 100% on the school you go to, how much elective work you do, and the degree level

>most respected major
applied physics.

this

>depends 100% on
nobody cares because that's not what OP asked for
>most challenging major
EE
>most respected major
EE

EE

CompE -> Because most people don't know what EE or CompE is about.

lol compE is for faggots that couldn't handle EE, literally.

Is it fun being retarded?

is this true

What's your major ?

CS is so fucking easy. Yeah, I'm going through it.

CE is just some intersection with EE, CS and mathematical bullshit irrelevant to the course.

>700 new jobs
lol

>CS is so fucking easy. Yeah, I'm going through it.

What school? I go to Brown and its difficult as shit.

Pure math seems very tough, but calc 1-3 and diffeq were the very easy for me.

Mechanical Engineering has been very tough for me, but its a bit easier than the work load ive seen with my physics friends.

I absolutely hate chemistry, i would vote chemistry or chemical engineering as the toughest. Biology in 3rd behing mechE

>Most challenging major
Chemical or electrical engineering (or maybe math)
>Most respected major
Math, unless you count med school as a major

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by respected major though

I'm assuming you're talking about undergrad major/programs, in which case

>most challenging major
math by far (real math, not the applied tracks ("proof-light") or teaching tracks)

>most respected major
who knows, maybe some engineering? physics? that's way more subjective than the first -- but if we're talking about respect = perceived difficulty, then by definition it would math again, right? who cares

>Tier 1
Mathematics, Physics, (and probably chemistry) at a top school. Note that by "top" I don't mean top 100, I mean cream of the crop. Leading research institutions who seek to groom the brightest of the bright students into top researchers in their respective fields.

>Tier 2
Like many anons in this thread have said, ChemE and EE. While engineering is probably also harder at a top school than a state school, the gap in rigor and difficulty isn't nearly as wide as it is for the pure sciences as engineering is pretty straightforward in what an undergrad has to learn to be competent.

>Tier 3
MechE, Civil E, other engineering

>Tier 4
Math, Physics, Chem at run-of-the-mill state school.

This is ordered by difficulty btw

I'm about to study Mathematics at UC Davis. Am I fucked?

nah

at least in the UK engineering is harder at top unis than maths (t. imperial student).

> hardest
The one you're bad at.
For me its philosophy
> most well respected
Some engineering
Gonna go with ChemE

>
>most challenging major
EE or Physics/Math at a great university
>most respected major
Physics/Math at a great university or EE, ChemE is also up there

This. Followed by Physics and Math.

I'd like to go into either pure math or chemistry. Maybe double major, but more likely just keep one as a hobby (probably math unfortunately, since I like the jobs chemistry can open up compared to math)

Just recently eliminated MechE from my list of possible majors, so now I'm to deciding from two..

>hardest
Philosophy at a prestigious school that doesn't fill its students' heads with Freudian and Rawlsian garbage, leading into a Law degree. Good schools will start with an intensive Greek/Classics curriculum, then teach the modern greats, starting with Hobbes. Eventually, this will culminate in the Germans and end with Strauss.

>most respected
Medical degree, aerospace engineering or pure maths.

Do what you are passionate about, but be smart about it. With math, actuarial science is a fucking gold mine. Gold mine. Chemistry is a lot more demanding with less pay, but more fulfilling if you dont end up as a highly paid factory line assembler.

Philosophy

>most challenging major
Mechanical Engineering
>most respected major
Sociology

>ME
>challenging
hahahahaha no

Painting
Music

MechE is challenging, but theres more challenging majors out there.

Electrical Engineering is winning on both fronts right now, daily reminder that EE is only for gods among men.

That is what he asked for. There is no answer.

Respected by whom? Hardest to whom? It's all relative.

I'm gonna go with medicine for both anyway. I have nothing to do with the field, but the schedules seem hard as all hell, and the respect they get having a med degree is substantial, at least to the outside world (outside of science fields). Inside STEM fields and academia, there are no respect "tiers", you can find dumbasses and geniuses in every department, so you should avoid judging before you meet and learn about someone from a certain department. Anything else is just meme answers based on the posters' majors and bias, so don't take it for granted.

>$53.42 per hour

The med degree is hard, but most of the work comes from external work, I'm pretty sure we're considering the actual learning so we can ignore shit like residencies

>med degree
>people think this is a thing
not in any country that matters it isn't.

There's a lot of learning in med from what I've seen, but you are right that there is a lot of external and physical work too. I don't see why that wouldn't count to the overall challenge of the degree though. If we're talking just conceptually... It wholly and utterly depends on the aptitude of the person. Completely relative IMO.

...I don't get it?

The learning is just memorisation
Challenging in time, but not mentally

There is no such thing as a medical undergrad degree in any country that has a good educational system. If you haven't noticed, we're talking about undergraduate degrees in this entire thread. No shit some graduate degree will be harder you dumb fuck.

It is bullshit, unless you were a numerical guy - you studied numerical analysis, numerical optimization, probability, & statistics. One should be a numerical C/Matlab coder.

If you are the typical pencil/paper proof guy you will be teaching at juco.

The hardest major is whatever you're the least interested in. If I had to wake up every day in college and go to marketing classes and shit, I would've killed myself.

Here goes Veeky Forums again with the old "you can only get a job with the name of your degree in the title." College classes are more than job training sessions.

Yes, we agree on that, but as I said, I don't think you can separate memorisation from the overall challenge of a degree. Med also requires not being an autistic fuck (most of the time), which I also consider part of the difficulty. That said, if you remove the value of memorisation in the challenge of the degree, medicine wouldn't rank anywhere near as high.

Umm... wat

Pretty much all of Europe and UK have undergrad degrees in medicine (you start after you graduate highschool) so I don't know what you're talking about... unless you're memeing, in which case, well meme'd.

>Europe and UK
>any country that has a good educational system
LLLLMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOO

>unless you're memeing, in which case, well meme'd.
Quads, m8.

Women's Studies
Classics

The main employer is NSA. Seriously, just look it up.
So to get a job you need a squeeky clean record (strangely they insist on this) and no traces of pot.

POTUS may inhale, you may not.

Im about to wrap up my sophomore year as an EE major. All you guys are spooping me for the upcoming years

EE is easily the toughest. you're a god among men if you make it.

DAILY REMINDER that Electrical Engineering degrees are almost always less than three classes from a B.S. in Mathematics.

Math majors BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

Biotechnology

> Graduate last Fall with a B.S. in Biotech
> Find a way to engineer plants to produce apoptosis-inducing Cytochrome-C-like molecules to kill microbial pests on crops
> Already researcher with a $95,000 yearly salary at Memesanto

thanks for adding nothing to the thread genius

youre welcome

How is electrical the toughest? Id say chem is. Though im EE myself.

people pick between chem and electrical, typically.