Best Books that made you appreciate a field or course...

Best Books that made you appreciate a field or course? Mine has to be Kline's Calculus An intuitive and Physical Approach, made me completely see what goes on behind the math and ironically got me more into pure math with intuition.

I know I'm gonna get shit for this, but

Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis.
Fucking opened my eyes up to analysis and I practically memorized the damn thing.

>inb4 stop memeing
Really.

Also:

Artin's "Algebra" was 10/10 simple and well-made introduction to abstract algebra
And Munkres' "Topology".

Sauer - Numerical Analysis - showed how real math is done i the real world on a computer/

stop memeing with rudin
the rest are top notch tho
makes me really suspect you haven't read any of them and just posted the usual meme suggestions, because all three are very famous online

Are you talking to me?
I took classes that required all three, so I have read them. They were my favorites.

I liked this book too, was a good intro to the subject.

Yeah I liked Rudin but I thought a lot of his problems were a bit much. Chapter 10 Problem 1 has a 15 page solution for instance.

Rudins not a meme - people just hype it up too much either way. it's just a book with a slightly steeper learning curve than most.

I know Sauer personally, I got to GMU. He's a cool guy

Give us a story?

Nothing weird actually. He is a really down to earth person. I guess the most fascinating thing about him is, if you look into his thesis and publications from early in his career, he was actually in pure mathematics, in algebraic geometry under Hartshorne. Then somehow, and I still don't know how, but he transitioned into way more applied stuff.

Its obvious he's really, really smart, but when you talk to him, he's really down to earth.

That sounds cool, those people are the best, especially when they're good at explaining ideas. I need to learn how to be more like that...

This was my first formal math textbook. I liked it a lot, largely because the class taught around it was much harder than the others so far.

A good book? My teacher

Applied algebraic geometry is becoming quite the thing nowadays. Algebraic geometry over R is especially useful in optimization.

Morris kline is a fantastic writer

nice memes bro

SPIVAK
P
I
V
A
K

holy grail of fund. of Aero - Anderson anyone?

Which way is better: to go through analysis, measure theory, probability+measure (Ash) courses and then switch to statistics or to go through introductory probability text (Bertsekas/Tsitsiklis or Blitzstein/Hwang) now and then switch to statistics (learning analysis in parallel)?

Can anyone rec me a good book on Statics/Elastostatics/Dynamics?

Calculus Early Transcendentals by Briggs Cochran and Calculus Early Transcendentals by James Stewart - in particular version 8, the one with the blue color. Wikipedia is also very useful and it's very accurate. The unsolved Mathematics problems list there is useful.

>Statics/Dynamics

Mechanics (Dover) by J. P. Den Hartog

>Elastostatics

The Electromagnetic Field (Dover) by Albert Shadowitz

Whats the best book for learning commutative algebra for the purpose of learning algebraic geometry?

Random question:
Is Lebesgue theory used in applied mathematics?
For like normal probabilistic differential equations?

Best introduction to quantum mechanics?
Im halfway thru Griffiths but i find it too easy. I have more mathematical knowledge than needed for the Griffiths so is there any good book with more mathematical rigour?

On the other hand, the American electrical engineer and computer scientist
Richard Hamming (1915–1998) somewhat cavalierly rebutted that when he
declared (in a 1997 address to mathematicians!):

"... for more than 40 years I have claimed that if whether an airplane would fly or not
depended on whether some function that arose in its design was Lebesgue but not Riemann
integrable, then I would not fly in it. Would you? Does Nature recognize the difference? I
doubt it! You may, of course, choose as you please in this matter, but I have noticed that
year by year the Lebesgue integration, and indeed all of measure theory, seems to be
playing a smaller and smaller role in other fields of mathematics, and none at all in fields
that merely use mathematics [my emphasis]."

It's in the title for a reason

Shankar

Not totally on topic but this came out a month ago, has anyone taken a look? It looks like a draft has been floating around for like 5 years

Just bought pic related to reinforce what I learned in single variable as well as volume two to get an early start on multivariable.

It's in the wiki, but I haven't seen it mentioned itt. Did I goof?

Forgot pic.

you should realize that an engineer talking about math is always going to sound retarded

in "nature", all functions are (taken to be, piecewise) analytical, that means among other things, infinitely differentiable, riemann integrable, etc etc

the discussion is worthless and idiotic

no, it's a great book for transitioning into real math

Solid book.

I'm just finishing this class but this is probably the most I've enjoyed working through a math textbook.

Applied math masterrace checking in.

Look all these faggot pure math plebs talking about to/pol/orgy and analysis
when do you kill yoruselfs?

please, call me if you pussy asses ever manage to do so.

I'm waiting just for you.

and the only you have read on the topic.

Shankar isn't bad, but it's one of the ore heuristical books on the subject. Still it covers everything you need to know about QM, including relativistics.

If you want mathematical rigor and Quantum mechanics that's derived from first principles and not following the historical approach or just using the correspondence principle then Sakurai's textbook is ideal for you. Beatiful read and very clear and precise argumentation. Probably the best theoretical textbook I have ever read

SAVAGE

>applied math
>bashing analysis

?????????
what the fuck, ODEs and operations research and economic maths all use analysis heavily

what kind of applied math do you even do?

Is the calculus without early transcendental also good?

What is it missing?

it might be missing early trascendentals

So its worthless to study Lebesgue theory? Especially if all I care about is nature?

study what you care about. if you need tools from math, study those and only those. get someone who knows what he's doing to suggest to you what you should learn, and stop blundering around in the dark guessing whether you should learn something or not

Yes, but thats not what he works in. He literally went from pure algebraic geometry work to the other end, i.e. applied numerical analysis stuff.

Spivaks book on mechanics
Feynmans lectures
David Tongs lectures

...that's why I'm asking.

I'm finishing up my real analysis study and thinking about skipping Lebesgue theory.

what is lebesgue theory used for? Or is it just a generalization for topology?

>your favorite books are the ones you were forced to read in undergrad

K E K
E
K

Early Transcendentals is just the friendly name of the book I think. Uniquely, those kinds of books are useful to students who want to become Engineers or Computer Scientists. According to transcendental numbers like pi or some number of i.

What's a good way to find Feynmann's lectures? Preferably free

I got it myself, back in high school.

it's used in measure theory
it's not fundamental for most things

Agreed. This text is very readable. I enjoyed it.

It means the transcendental functions (log, exp, sin, tanh) are introduced early on