Picked up a book of Rilke's poems

>picked up a book of Rilke's poems
>some of it filled me with emotions and it made me uncomfortable
>i began to tear up
>put it down and decided I should only read this on special occasion.

Anyone else strangely moved by specific authors or pieces? Does anyone else avoid stuff like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

poemhunter.com/best-poems/anne-sexton/end-middle-beginning/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nah I don't actually like reading that much. I just read memes to impress girls and my dumb friends and enjoy shitposting and posting retarded memes on /lit

ur gay

Seconding this.

Sylvia Plath

Reading that moody bitch's work was like meeting an old friend and hearing how bad things had been while we hadn't been hanging out

Had nightmares about her corpse staring at me while I was paralyzed and couldn't look away

Lady Lazarus is still stuck in my craw

The scene where Esther cuts herself for the first time in The Bell Jar made me cry from having been in that exact place, even marveling at how easy it was like she did in the book

Yeah sorry OP, I'm gonna have to agree with these guys

Fucking Yeats, man. Ephemera makes me tear up so bad.

The book of disquiet is very uncomfortable to read for me. I often feel like sleeping because of reading it, too.

Translation, and in that case, which one?

Todesfuge almost made me cry once.

When I read The Road I full on cried in the middle of my school cafeteria. I don't know why I empathized with the boy so much but damn if he didn't hit me where it hurts.

Socrates, Rousseau and Ghazali the momebt moment they talk about anything seriously. You can tell, they knew

>Had nightmares about her corpse staring at me while I was paralyzed and couldn't look away
LOL

Certain passages of Blood Meridian really hit me hard. Usually the ones describing the landscape. I grew up in Texas and spent a lot of time with my dad out in the country. So I guess it's more like happy tears?

Rilke is trash.

Have you read Sexton? She makes me Nauseous.

When I Have Fears that I May Cease to Be by John Keats almost made me tear up in my college class.

This. I always tear up with Socrates.

Where to start? Is there a decent collection of her poems to pick up first?

tao lin taipei
shit hit me hard senpai. can't wait for his next book

Recuerdo by Edna St. Vincent Milay

Heavily reminds me of an ex that was the first person outside of my family that I think I really loved. I'll read it occasionally and just lose myself in that beautiful verse

Also, don't see based Edna discussed much here on Veeky Forums, anyone else appreciate her works - one of the best female poets imo

Examples?

Alcibiades I and Symposium when you can see the effect Socrates has on Alcibiades. How in the former he exhorts him to virtue and then in the latter Alcibiades talks about how great Socras is and then how he has divine words. Then he always takes you for a loop and has something hilarious. The symposium is a great example. After all that gay banter, philosophical discussion and Alcibiades' speech about Socrates, it ends with Socrates trying to convince a tragedian and a comedian that the best poet is both at once. They're falling asleep and the narrator can't even recall it. Socrates barely has an audience and is being cheeky as fuck. What a beautiful man, he brought the high and the low together making each side of him that much more pronounced. Plato (and later Shakespeare) was that poet with tragedy and comedy at once.

Socrates gets executed, refuses to leave and martyrs himself but before drinking the poison asks if he can pour some out as a libation. Alcibiades was one of his most famous students and you see the power of Socrates over him in Plato but later he goes on to cuck kings, betray multiple nations multiple times and be a degenerate but a beautiful and seductive one. Oh man, Plato and Socrates. What men

She is one of the best soneteers I've read. "I think I should have loved you presently" is perhaps my favorite.

I just read a few random ones online before picking up here collected works
This one is a good example
poemhunter.com/best-poems/anne-sexton/end-middle-beginning/

can't even tell if ironic or not

When it comes to poets being trash, Rilke doesn't come first to mind.

Then you haven't read much poetry.

after picking up siddhartha as an 18 year old "suffering" an "existential crisis" or whatever

I felt a very profound sense of not being the main character in my life. I spent the entirety of that week sleeping from 7am to 1pm, ingesting oats/green tea/broccoli for all meals, running uphill for an hour at 4am daily, and reading Siddhartha as many times as possible

I feel bad if I read kafka on a rush

You read the translation so you might as wel haven't read it.

you should read actual buddhist texts then, user, you may enjoy them